X27...........um, wow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I used my X27 to split a green piece of hedge tonight. It was about 12 inches diameter and cut to 18 inches in length. It took 4 wacks to get it to split open, but there was a knot down in there I didn't see and it took 4 more good hits to get that apart. I have tried this before with my 8 pound maul and it just bounces off. So far pretty impressed with this tool.

Can't wait to try it on a piece of black locust, that is usually all that I actually split by hand since it splits so easily.

Picked this little fella up at TSC today. It worked pretty good on the spruce chunk I tried it on. It was no match for the bigger knots, but I didn't expect it to be.

It's gonna be a great tool for kindling and throwing in the camper in the summer. X-7, I would have bought the -11 splitter if they had one.

I've gone through a bunch of cheap hatchets, I'm done with em now.

Sitting on top of it's first job, 3/4" plywood under it to keep it off the concrete:

attachment.php

I got an X7 for pounding wedges and other small jobs-it rides in my fuel and sharpening crate and I dont go to the woods without it.

Ron

I was at Wal-Mart today after church and decided to look for a shorter Fiskars axe or long hatchet as a few days ago I broke my short axe that I found 2 years ago and needed another.

Found a lot of the little X7's and at the back of the row were two X25's and two X15's. I will start another thread as to my good score!

It's just a tool, I have many tools. The x27 is great, but I still have my 6-1/2 lb maul near by at hand. I have been splitting a $h*? load of oak lately and without a doubt on the big rounds 15"+ with crotches or one's with knots visible I use the bigger maul. Sure I could do them with the x27 but with twice as many swings as the bigger maul. Every tool has it's place. I use what ever works more efficient for me.

What is more work? Twice as much weight, or twice as many swings with half the weight.

so i figure a follow-up is in order. here's the deal, this mother rocks! seriously i haven't even swung it full force yet. kind of dont dare to for fear or splitting the face of the earth. :blob2:

sure there are rounds it can't handle, but for the work this featherweight produces i'm accepting of that. furthermore taking a read on those ugly rounds can get them down to a manageable size with next to no effort.

i can go through a load of rounds without breaking a sweat. hell i cracked the handle on the 8lb-er and haven't given much thought to replacing it anytime soon.

here's to you fiskars :cheers:

stopped by the local tire shop and they said i can have my pick of any of the junk tires, was thinking a tractor tire, ya know, cause it's big

I just gotta try my x27 out on the stuff I am cutting now - willow. That stuff splits so easy the splitter wedge barely enters and it pops. Maybe I'll only have to wave it over the pile! I normallyi wouldn't use the splitter for it but I have been "cutting and dumping' and the 'to split' pile was getting out of hand. Put in two hours today witht he splitter and farely well caught, still hve some to stack though.

Harry K

I just did just under a cord today and split it now getting ready to stack it in the wood shed

I just don't get wore out as much using the x27 instead of the 8 lbs. maul :msp_smile:

PS: Just finished 6' x 14' x 16" wasn't as much as I thought but it's all stacked in the wood shed now

Last edited:
I picked up a Gerber Survival knife made by Fiskars. Used to be, I wouldn't buy nothing from China. You should see it, I can't find anything wrong with it. Have had a Fiskars filet knife for years. More for deer than fish. Just a top notch product.

For the record I did say a 6-1/2 lb maul for the big tough ones, I won't use an 8 lb maul. The x27 works for 99% of my wood. But is not the end all cure all.

What is more work? Twice as much weight, or twice as many swings with half the weight.

I would say twice as many swings would be a lot more work considering the wood not splitting the first time and having to wiggle the ax back out of the wood, but the x27 is 4-1/2 lbs and my 6-1/2 lb maul is only 2 more lbs.

Last edited:
For the record I did say a 6-1/2 lb maul for the big tough ones, I won't use an 8 lb maul. The x27 works for 99% of my wood. But is not the end all cure all.

I would say twice as many swings would be a lot more work considering the wood not splitting the first time and having to wiggle the ax back out of the wood, but the x27 is 4-1/2 lbs and my 6-1/2 lb maul is only 2 more lbs.

I would like about one more lb. on the Fiskars design, but no more than that.

I just came back from getting another load of firewood

I can tell ya that swing a X 27 compared to a 8 lbs. maul is a huge difference

Before X 27 I used a 3 1/2 lib. axe and that usually took a couple swings but the maul was a one swing deal (90% of the time); X 27 is so much better it falls between them (nicely) :msp_thumbup:

Just wish I would have gotten it long time ago

Well I had to see for myself if all the talk about the X27 was hype or fact. I went to sears.com and picked a X27 up for $34 and tax, I figured it was worth that to drive wedges if it didn't work out. I tried it out this morning and was impressed with how it split some oak and hickory rounds I had ready. I am not ready to sell my hydraulic splitter but the X27 is definitely another good tool to add to my arsenal.

Steve

A little dark.... Super green and wet oak.... I drove a twisted wedge in the 34" butt to create the grand canyon, left it there and worked around one crack at a time until it was done 25-30 seconds later...I want to buy another just in case the word ends, or mine gets stolen... size 10 in the pic for size reference. If a 5, 9" 160lb guy can whack down some rounds in no time with this, whats a guy to do with all his old mauls and non efficient axes? I have no spliter...

A584E397-4774-4134-888C-F4D85F7CAB76-2205-0000043B0FC1F50F.jpg

BA0AFD3C-AC3F-48B4-88AB-69B3D458565D-2205-0000043B0A02895F.jpg

9768904D-27BE-46C6-9D7A-BEEEFB57CCF4-2205-0000043AF1A73C8D.jpg

Fiskars makes nothing that isn't quality. I just picked up a couple of pairs of scissors from Canadian Tire, on sale at 5$, 75% off. Ok, what's wrong with them ? Nothing ! Comes with a sheath with built-in sharpener, cuts wire, rope, hose, opens beer bottles.... it does everything !

Going back to pick up what's left of them, if any, they're great !

Back