X27...........um, wow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll like it most likely! Just be careful and learn from other's initial mistakes, including me, dang I came this close to whacking my foot. Blew through a round, axe kept coming and whizzed right by. Yikes! Went to inside a tire right then! It is lightweight and *very* sharp. You don't need a normal off to the side swing like with a maul, straight up and down is better (and much faster once you get in the groove). WATCH OVER SWING. That sucker'll take yer..whatever it hits clean off. Split on a clean block, not the ground, to save the edge and stop it there, and split inside a tire if you can. Besides that have fun and pics or it didn't happen!

I've been using a 8 lbs. maul for ever this should make life a little easier :D

Man, now I have to go get a couple trees on the ground :)

I just picked up an x27 at TSC and went to try it out on a load of red oak. My 14yr old saw it and would not give it back! He was practically giddy when he hit a piece of wood and it exploded apart. Says it is much more fun than the 27 ton splitter. So we got into a grove, I would quarter the large rounds with the 27 ton splitter and he would finish them off. Went through a truck load in no time.

Ha, big fun!

I've been using a 8 lbs. maul for ever this should make life a little easier :D

Man, now I have to go get a couple trees on the ground :)

TREES on the ground, yesss..not sure on what you will be getting. My experience with pine here is fresh cut green, naw, sucks, wood is too rubbery. Once it sits blocked to size and checks a little, then it pops open pretty good. So don't be dissapointed if it doesn't work right off the bat in some coniferous wood, it will, give it a little time. If you can get "other" give it a good shot. If you get into clean good straight grained like oak or ash, man, it's like you are a machine! I can swing and get another split, in seconds, like three to four seconds from whack, split, recover, overhead, back down again. It's freaking awesome going some times. other times, meh..not so good, but hit a stretch of all good wood and yippee!

TREES on the ground, yesss..not sure on what you will be getting. My experience with pine here is fresh cut green, naw, sucks, wood is too rubbery. Once it sits blocked to size and checks a little, then it pops open pretty good. So don't be dissapointed if it doesn't work right off the bat in some coniferous wood, it will, give it a little time. If you can get "other" give it a good shot. If you get into clean good straight grained like oak or ash, man, it's like you are a machine! I can swing and get another split, in seconds, like three to four seconds from whack, split, recover, overhead, back down again. It's freaking awesome going some times. other times, meh..not so good, but hit a stretch of all good wood and yippee!

I have and Alder and a Fir to get later today :D

I have and Alder and a Fir to get later today :D

Shouldn't have much trouble with that. The sappier the wood, the harder to get it to bust. Even stringy, twisted wood sometimes doesn't separate all the way down, but with the X25 or 27 you just slice off the grains that stick together, it's like a razor blade. I sure love mine, you'll love yours too, once you work with it and get your stance & swing adjusted.

....but with the X25 or 27 you just slice off the grains that stick together, it's like a razor blade...

Yes it is.. I noticed this same thing, if the grains stuck, it would just shave them off. Sharp, sharp piece of equipment.

dw

I bought a X27 about a month ago and finally used it to split a PU load of black locust. Impressive for sure. The edge will cut paper like a sharp knife. Im majorly impressed how well the sharp edge holds up. I bought the sharpener for the heck of it but aint used it yet. Im gonna go get the short one at wally world just to have another, think there about $39 for the X25, might help with my over striking.

Went to wal mart at lunch and got the X25 for $39 plus tax, now i got one of each. Took some head measurements, they appear identical in that respect. Handle is 7.5 inches shorter. Not sure if the heads weigh different but the overall outside shape, size is the same. Plastic sheaths interchange of course as well.

Went to wal mart at lunch and got the X25 for $39 plus tax, now i got one of each. Took some head measurements, they appear identical in that respect. Handle is 7.5 inches shorter. Not sure if the heads weigh different but the overall outside shape, size is the same. Plastic sheaths interchange of course as well.

You will not think the sharpener works, but it does. the little wheel rolls an logic expects it to drag to hone the edge. It does a good job... I know, I rocked mine first swing. :(

dw

Head weight IS identical, as per the Fiskars site.

I bucked up and split those trees from last night this am and I'm not 1/2 as tired as I was using that 8 lbs. maul what a back saver the X27 is :wink2: And it's all in the wood shed now :msp_wink:

Here is the last little load of the Alder

002-4.jpg

I bucked up and split those trees from last night this am and I'm not 1/2 as tired as I was using that 8 lbs. maul what a back saver the X27 is :wink2: And it's all in the wood shed now :msp_wink:

Here is the last little load of the Alder

Cool man! Really glad you liked it! That's it with me, the Fiskars whips the wood, and it doesn't whip me like the dreaded anvil on a stick.

That's pretty wood, how is it burning? Would that be like a "midrange" quality?

Cool man! Really glad you liked it! That's it with me, the Fiskars whips the wood, and it doesn't whip me like the dreaded anvil on a stick.

That's pretty wood, how is it burning? Would that be like a "midrange" quality?

Those trees I took down are standing dead trees; I just can't pass these up the land were I'm cutting is about 20 acres and has alot of Fir on it and these Alder are choking the Firs out and land owner want's to keep all the Firs and get rid of most if not all the Alders

For as long as I've been in my house (1990) Alder is 95% of the wood I burn I really like Alder people here call Alder "weeds" LOL but I'll take every "weed" I can lay my hands on ;)

I got just over two racks from the Alder and the Fir I took down is seating in the land owners wood shed :)

Last edited:
I used mine again last night on the bigger base chunks. Like mentioned, on the bigger pieces take hits around the edge to "whittle" down the big rounds. Works flawlessly, much better than going for kill strikes.

Also on the heavily knotted pieces, laying the wood on the ground and striking the side worked awesome as well. It is a very versatile tool. It won't save starving children or cure cancer, but it works really well!

Fiskars really should pay for Arborsite's bandwidth for a year...I'm sure we helped break a few sales projections on those puppies :hmm3grin2orange:

After reading all the crowing here on AS, I ordered an X27 when they went on sale, to compliment my pre-X25 28" Super Splitter.
And while at it, sent one to my old man.
...And one to the local Bulgarian Orthodox academy b/c I learned they put up firewood every year for the nuns who live on a remote island up here.

Now I think there's an X11 17" splitter in my future, too.

Hey Fiskars, maybe a site sponsorship *is* in order!:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Picked this little fella up at TSC today. It worked pretty good on the spruce chunk I tried it on. It was no match for the bigger knots, but I didn't expect it to be.

It's gonna be a great tool for kindling and throwing in the camper in the summer. X-7, I would have bought the -11 splitter if they had one.

I've gone through a bunch of cheap hatchets, I'm done with em now.

Sitting on top of it's first job, 3/4" plywood under it to keep it off the concrete:

attachment.php

Picked this little fella up at TSC today. It worked pretty good on the spruce chunk I tried it on. It was no match for the bigger knots, but I didn't expect it to be.

It's gonna be a great tool for kindling and throwing in the camper in the summer. X-7, I would have bought the -11 splitter if they had one.

I've gone through a bunch of cheap hatchets, I'm done with em now.

Sitting on top of it's first job, 3/4" plywood under it to keep it off the concrete:

cute! Kinda like a Fiskars derringer!

after reading rave reviews both here and in the uk, took the plunge and ordered myself an X27 and sharpener.
What is truly unbelievable however, was that it was cheaper for me to order and ship from the USA than to buy in europe.
When i say cheaper i mean half the price, 45 pounds as to 90 here. That was with import taxes included.
My god you boys get things cheap in the USA.

Latest posts

Back