XL2 bar and chain questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fencr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I’m a weekend warrior with an old, lightly used XL2 with a 12” bar (as you are aware it has no brake). I may have 20-30 hrs on it over the years and ran well when I last used it several years ago but it needed a chain sharpening. I took the chain to a local shop and purchased a spare for backup. Of course, I failed to put the chains in the box with the saw. They’re roaming around somewhere and I’ll continue to look but, lets face it, I’d rather take more productive steps to resolve this foolishness on my part. So, I have a few questions of you more experienced woodsmen (and collectors of small, gas-powered, noisy things).

First, a replacement 12” chain is not available on every corner where I live. So, I’ll probably be ordering one online. In looking I see an Oregon chain and they mention that some chains have a more of a kickback potential than others.
The Oregon bar/chain selector if you choose Professional only you get
91VX (low profile tm Chamfer chisel chain) or
91VXL (semi chisel 3/8th long top)
If you select Consumer you get XtraGuard tm (91VG).

Basically, I gather that the VX chains are more aggressive and with the Homelite being a low powered saw it increases the chance that the chain may not cut and instead grab resulting in a kickback? Is this about right?

What sort of training is there to become more knowledgeable about kickback? I’m aware of conditions I’ve seen in the past and read the warnings. Things like hitting the tip of the bar with a running saw is likely to kick back and trying to cut green, fibrous shoots that sometimes have more potential to catch than cut cleanly. Do you know of any publications to read or youtube guidance to get up to snuff?

On a different note but related note, I possess a new 14” chain. I think I tried to grab a chain without the saw in hand and got the wrong one. I stumbled across a 14” Disston (sp) bar for an XL2 for $16 online. This bar has the roller tip but does not have the tip guard or holes to accommodate the tip guard from my 12”bar.

Questions:
Since the bar costs about as much as new chain and I have a 14” chain is this a no brainer or is there an appreciable increase in kickback risk here?

Is there enough ass to the XL2 motor to consider this as a viable option?
Is it a poor idea from a safety standpoint?

What say you gentlemen? (yeah, I’m giving you all the benefit of the doubt)
Thanks
Marc

ps.. i posted some bike pics on that thread .. they're my real affliction..

When your saw was brand new it didn't come with the non-kickback chain as it wasn't available back then. It did have the piece on the tip of the bar, which I usually removed. I doubt the saw has enough power to kick back too hard. I am very careful when I use a chainsaw however.

So, you're suggesting that the choice of chain is not important since the original chain was as aggressive as was made probably for all saws at the time? Also that these newer less aggressive chains aren't as important since the saw isn't that powerful? Ok.. I hadn't thought of that.

Ok.. thank you..
thanks for responding.
Marc

btw.. i did find a decent basic safety vid on your video forum which led to a second one. Both had something to offer but obviously no substitute for experience.

http://wumbus.com/Chainsaw-Safety-Basics-An-Experts-Perspective1618.html

http://wumbus.com/Chainsaw-Safety43.html

regards..
Marc

Last edited:
So, you're suggesting that the choice of chain is not important since the original chain was as aggressive as was made probably for all saws at the time? Also that these newer less aggressive chains aren't as important since the saw isn't that powerful? Ok.. I hadn't thought of that.

Ok.. thank you..
thanks for responding.
Marc

btw.. i did find a decent basic safety vid on your video forum which led to a second one. Both had something to offer but obviously no substitute for experience.

Expert`s Opinion on the Safe Use of Chainsaws - OSHA Compliance Safety Training Videos, DVDs and Online Streaming Library

Safe Use of Chainsaw - OSHA Compliance Safety Training Videos, DVDs and Online Streaming Library

regards..
Marc

I'm just saying the saw did fine, as does mine, with the original type chain. I guess you have to be a little more careful with them but I've never had a problem. It's a little more difficult to find that kind of chain anymore, most of the time they want to sell you the so-called safety chain but you can get hurt with it too if you're careless. I always go for the aggressive type chains for all the saws I would use but for a saw I would sell to someone else I would probably buy the safety chain.

Back