XP-1000, 1020 recoil question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smcowboy1974

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have a Homelite xp-1020 with a recoil that doesn't catch too well. Took it off, and sprayed some Penephite oil on it. That made it worse, it didn't have any drag or grab at all. So I took a can of Brake cleaner and sprayed it off. After that stuff evaporated it seemed to work a little better. It has the type of recoil where It has two cuts in the flywheel catch, and four fingers a pair of two with springs that come out to grab the flywheel. The fingers seem to be in very good condition. The flywheel part looks good too. There was some filings in there when I took it off, but nothing too drastic. IT seems to me the fingers won't come out like they should to grab the Flywheel part. Do you folks have any ideas or opinions on what I can do to Help or remedy this situation? ANY IDEAS or info would be appreciated. Email me at [email protected] or pm me or post a reply here! Thanks, and have a wonderful day everyone!

try shiming the fingers out with a small washer or 2 that might fix it i dids that on one of my homelites and it worked sounds like the same problem
good luck
erik king

last nite I figured it out. the THe inside of the drum where the fingers grab is wore more than it should be. About .025 thousandths or so. So I cleaned it with lighter fluid, mixed up some JB weld and Built it back up. Also I could take it off machine it out and shim it, but I figured I'd give JB weld a try. Not much time involved and pretty inexpensive. I'll let you know after I let it harden a day or two how it works. THanks

smcowboy1974 said:
last nite I figured it out. the THe inside of the drum where the fingers grab is wore more than it should be. About .025 thousandths or so. So I cleaned it with lighter fluid, mixed up some JB weld and Built it back up. Also I could take it off machine it out and shim it, but I figured I'd give JB weld a try. Not much time involved and pretty inexpensive. I'll let you know after I let it harden a day or two how it works. THanks

Better use the decomp or that JBweld will be gone in no time.

The old 045s, 056s, 090s, etc had a friction shoe assembly that expanded outwards into a ring (metal on 090, plastic on the others). The ring generally wears out faster and it's still available and cheap to replace.

In fact, a lot of older saws had the friction shoe setup. It was made by Fairbanks-Morse, I think.

Chris B.

Are those still available for a homelite xp-1020? Or I could take it off and have it machined out bigger and have a shim put in made of brass or something! Does that should like an idea? I have an uncle who is a machinist, who could do this in no time.

I think the origional overrunning bearing used may still available...pricy too I'll bet.

Back