XP-1020 A Clutch Drum Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weimedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I want to change over to a clutch drum where I can change rings...The part number Oregon has for the XP-1020A gives me a drum that seems to have the overall dimensions like ID of the needle bearing etc. BUT it has a pressed in needle bearing where the needle bearing race or "cage" is the potential bearing surface if the clutch spider interferes.

Heres the question.

The "old" one I have has a larger Needle bearing over a sleeve that slips over the crank shaft stub. The clutch spider backs up to that sleeve and thats what keeps the clearance between the clutch spider and clutch drum.

The new Oregon one doesn't have that sleeve. In order to keep the clutch from interfering with the drum (locking up) I can remove a washer or two to get clearance. Then the clutch spider runs out of threads and thats what keeps it away from the drum. Just that doesn't feel right for me. I can't see how just running out of thread is enough to handle the power transmission from crank to clutch spider for a 100cc two stroke.

Is there a source of drums with the old style larger needle bearing with internal sleeve??? Or is the new type with the pressed in needle bearing enough (And the clutch spider stops moving towards the clutch drum when it runs out of thread)

In the Oregon book,they dont give any spacers or bearings available separate for your saw.Did you read the sheet included with the sprocket.They usually give infos for the model you run how to mount it.Yoour part # should be 14026X.the "X" meaning that sprocket doesnt come with bearing in the kit.

good luck finding an Oregon clutch drum i searched far and wide with the resources i have around here they list it but don't have it NOTHING
ask deadcow he got me a new spur 404 for a 1020

Talk to Marco on this site. He has connections where He can find a ring type clutch sprocket. AT least I hope he can, because he's ordering one for my Homey Xp-1020. Also the XP-1000 is the same! He has many books, and resources, maybe contact him. I live about 15 miles from him so it's pretty handy for me!

The OREGON (1983) p/n for rim type spkt was:
.404 14026 8 th
.404 10616 7 th
The parts book shows 2 different needle bearings... P/N 55664 & 77403 for different chain pitches.

Back