Yale climbing line DBL braid?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJohn

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Any here of a new yale climbing line comeing out. The equivlent to the fly and velocity? I got look at it yesterday and wow thats a nice rope. I would really like to get my hands on it. I will have to see what I can do.

Looks like the cat's out of the bag! Awesome rope, super splice, and so, so bright...mega hi-vis! I've been climbing on it for a while and man, I LOVE this rope.

I wonder when it will be available for retail????

love
nick

Did I say too much? Does this mean that now they wont give a piece to climb on for awhile? I really want to try a new line and the only thing available on the market is Samson. I'm really not happy with anything I have right now and hope this is the ticket. I need to do some drilling and see what new cord I can get my hands on.

No, the line is not available for retail at the moment. Give Yale Cordage a polite call and tell them that you look forward to being able to buy it!

207-282-3396, ask for Jamie...he's the Arbo rope guy over there.

I tell you...after splicing this, you'll never look at the fly again!

love
nick

Nick
how does this rope from Yale compare to the Samson 'velocity' rope in the splicing?
Is it a class 1 double braid splice?
frans

About the same. The Yale line has a slightly tighter weave on the cover (read: less likely for strands to pick). As a result of this, it is a bit tight doing the final bury, when you're running the splice home. I am going to test some splices to see if we can scale down the lengths of the buried tails of the cover and/or core, but still retain the strength AND security. I'll let you all know.

So yeah, it's just good ol' double braid!

love
nick

Sounds exciting. Reminds what I heard when I showed some of the Euro crowd the fly 1.5yrs ago. "The fly is a nice idea, but a 1st generation rope"

Nice to see some evolution is happenin'

I love the look of this stuff.....

attachment.php

love
nick

I just got home from Pitt. I got my hands on the new rope from Jamie I believe it was. I am pretty excited about the new rope and sense that this new evelution in rope is going to open the doors to all sorts of possibilities. This is just the start of something new to come. I hope to get to started on spliceing it just as soon as I get off here.

sheesh does this mean im gonna have to retire my fly already

Yes and you will never go back. The fly is history. I put the fly on the level of arbor plex.

I just finished my first splice in the new line. It wasn't too bad. I hadn't done a double braid in quite some time. The directions I got from a website was totally different from what used to be there. When did they change the double braid splice. I used the old splice method that I had remembered. It worked fine and is super tight.

I saw that one and the one on Samson. The one I always used what to cross over the core and burry it. Then zero it out tape and milk it in. Then you taper the cover and pull some core and burry the cover zero it up and tight then milk it to bring it all together in short. I never burried the cover first. I got this instruction I use from Toss. I am about to do the velocity here next.

I worked on the new rope today. I did a small 100 foot oak this morning. So far so good. I really want to go out and really swing around on it and do some pruning. I don't see that happening soon though with all this rain on its way. I will you updated. I have a feeling I am going to like it more than velocity. I am putting my money on the new Yale.

I saw a sample of the Velocity in May and liked the idea of a double braid 11mm climbing line. But I knew Yale's was just around the corner, so I waited. Boy am I glad I did! When I got it in July, I climbed on it everyday for 4 or 5 days straight...just couldn't stay off it! I liked the fly and liked climbing on the light weight, but this stuff is better. I've hung up my XTC.....maybe permanently!

love
nick

I have noticed alot of milking with the Velocity.
How does the Yale compare in this way with it's tighter cover?
Frans

Originally posted by NickfromWI
Looks like the cat's out of the bag! Awesome rope, super splice, and so, so bright...mega hi-vis! I've been climbing on it for a while and man, I LOVE this rope.

I wonder when it will be available for retail????

love
nick

Specs Nick?

Man, that stuff sticks out!

I haven't seen much milking or bunching yet. I have heard those complaints about velocity. This rope is so bright I walked by my truck to get in this morning and saw it and had to check all the doors cause I thought a light was on. Its cool.

Well, don't get me started on milking. So many people make a fuss about it, but it doesn't bother me. It stops after the first couple descents. I got about a foot off of a 150' hank. That was in the first two descents. Haven't gotten any more since. Keep in mind that 1 foot out of 150' is way less than 1%. It weighs less than 6lbs for 100'. I measured mine at like 5.5lbs/100' but I think they are going to call it a 6lb-er just to stay safe.

love
nick

I haven't spliced the other end yet. In my use, I don't see value in splicing both ends. If I use a rope so long that the splice needs replacing, then that line is ready to be replaced. On the rare occasion that I am double crotching, it only takes a second or two to tie a good knot (gasp!).

That being said, I'd splice one end, climb on it for a week, then cut off the excess cover, then splice the other end.

The way we use rope, I urge against the double splicing. We literally will sit at the top of a 75' tree, then to get down, we will tie a friction hitch to the rope, then descend pushing 150' through that hitch. Even if the rope is very balanced, you are still introducing a bit of slack into the splice. That thought scares me. If we were splicing both ends and pulling just on both ends...well, there's no harm in that, but we tree guys (and gals) can't just leave well enough alone!

FWIW!

love
nick

Back