Yamabond 4 or 5?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cranman1951

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Greetings ....this winter I rebuilt 26 saws that were straight gassed, mostly for the experience of learning saws. Been doing small engines for 55 years, but not so much 2 strokes. That said, I experimented with the base gasket delete that I learned about on this site, on several Huskys but used Permatex black on the advice of a small engine mechanic I respect. It worked fine, but I'm concerned about gasoline resistance. I ordered some Yamabond on line, and not knowing which to buy, 4 or 5,I guessed and bought the 5. Is 5 the way to go or should I get 4 for my next rebuild? What are the best uses for both? BTW....I love this site!

I’ll look at home but I think 4 is the stuff you need for base gasket delete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 4 too.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I think @huskihI uses 4 as well.

Id just stick with what everyone says works

Get 4. Store what you do not use in the fridge and it will last long time.
The 4 is rated for case halves on motorcycles that do not use any gasket but it's also ok to use even with a gasket as addition protection against a leak.
Some guys use permatex for case halves but I don't, I've had to go back on some briggs engines when I used the Permatex. I use Permatex Copper Plus and cost some auto gaskets and I can usually even re-use the gasket if I go back but Yamaha Bond is more permanent type sealer, especially on aluminum and no gasket.
If I want it to get er dun with least chance of a leak due to gas, oil, or slight pressure I use Yamabond 4 and don't look back.

Get 4. Store what you do not use in the fridge and it will last long time.
The 4 is rated for case halves on motorcycles that do not use any gasket but it's also ok to use even with a gasket as addition protection against a leak.
Some guys use permatex for case halves but I don't, I've had to go back on some briggs engines when I used the Permatex. I use Permatex Copper Plus and cost some auto gaskets and I can usually even re-use the gasket if I go back but Yamaha Bond is more permanent type sealer, especially on aluminum and no gasket.
If I want it to get er dun with least chance of a leak due to gas, oil, or slight pressure I use Yamabond 4 and don't look back.
Never heard of the fridge trick, does that really keep in fresh longer??

Never heard of the fridge trick, does that really keep in fresh longer??

Yep, I store several different gasket compounds in the fridge. (I have a refrigerator in the shop that I use for such)
Permatex copper coat (the can type) will last forever in the fridge.
Super glues after being opened will also last forever in a fridge.
I let the gel type Super Glue come to room temp before using because it takes little bit longer to set if cold. (but will still immediately glue your fingers together when cold)
Garden seeds (Okra, Squash) will usually last up to a year in a fridge.

I use Motoseal

What a looser[emoji849]

Cool people use Yamabond 4

[emoji1787][emoji1787]

giphy.gif

Dang.

I just looked and I actually have threebond. Not yamabond 4. But they are supposed to be basically the same thing.

Well years ago I used YamaBond,then couldn't get it and went to Kawasaki Bond,seemed same stuff, then had to go get ThreeBond 1104, seems the same stuff.Unlike silicones it is impervious to gasoline and pressures,for metal to metal sealing it's perfect,for gasket delete saws it is all I'll use,once I have trued the cyl. bottom on a surfacing plate to make sure it's flat to start with. If Yamabond is being made again great. I worked for a Yamaha dealer for many years.

Dang.

I just looked and I actually have threebond. Not yamabond 4. But they are supposed to be basically the same thing.

Yamabond is made by three bond. Threebond relabeles for a lot of companies, including komatsu, and isuzu. When I worked diesel engines I had ample supply of both on hand. Komatsu actually lists their glue as 4 and 5 on the label. Handabond is another. After my last tube I just go Google and find who has the cheapest deal and buy a bunch.

I was nervous using the black silicone....the saws I did with it run great, but almost no hours on them to see if will stand up....going on e-bay to buy the Yamabond 4 or the Threebond 1104. Thanks all for the info!

Komatsu LG-6 is a grey flexible sealant, good for most anywhere you need to seal oil, coolant ect. with low or no pressure.
Komatsu LG-7 is a red flexible high temp sealant designed for engine assembly without gaskets such as timing gear covers, oil pans, seal housings.
25 years at a Dealer, I have used these two for everything you could imagine.

Latest posts

Back