Yank wants UK tree job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'd need to get the NPTCs and they are expensive. You'd also need to find a centre near that does them. They also only run them at certen times of year so it could take a year or two to get them all. There normaly only 4 places a course!

CS30-31 Operating chainsaw/matianace/crosscutting+stacking and felling small trees 8"-15" diameter at felling hight £630 ~$1000

CS38 - Basic tree climbing and areial rescue £603 ~$900

CS 39 - Operating a chainsaw from a rope and harness £313 ~$500

CS 40 Pruning operations from rope and harness £453 ~$700

Prices rounded roughly up using 1.5 as an exchange rate

ny.............my wifes a yank....moved here around 5 years ago now. she hated it here at first, now her eyes have been opened a bitto whats outside of the US. she, like the rest of her family had barely been out of the state, let alone the country.
you wont see all the hidden costs when looking into wage differences. theres so many differences....eg, no medical insurance......more paid holiday, minimum 4 weeks.....sick pay etc etc.....if you want to talk to her it could be arranged.so long as you dont pull none of that smooth how you doin new york crap on her haha

talking to her doesn't sound like a bad idea stephen. I wont pull the howyadoin' crap....she's a yank, so she knows better. I would more likely use that routine on one of your own country women and get MUCH better results. That would be if I wasn't married of course.

My wife also did talk to me about being able to travel/work in the whole of Europe. She can as she still is an Italian citizen as will I be in a short while. The problem with tree work in Italy...at least in Naples where my wife is from is that there are hardly any trees at all. As for the few that people have...they are their last priority with the little money they make.

Dot Palm seems to be an interesting possibility at the moment, but I must speak with someone from down there. Like most Americans, I've only been out of my state but 4 times, and if you really count Canada as being out of the country then I've left the US ONCE!! I do want to see and travel Europe before I go....working abroad cant be so bad. I am just blown away by all the friggin certs you Brits need to have just to get covered in saw chips at the end of the day..BAH

Tony

I was surprised to see the title of this thread - most of us want to get out! :laugh:

I don't know what your wife does, or how much money she could pull in, but a big problem for us in most areas of the UK is we don't earn enough to get a mortgage on just our salaries, what with the price of housing. Both of you need to be working and earning. And renting's not much better, and almost impossible in some areas. It depends whereabouts in the UK you want to live. It varies a lot. This is only my personal opinion, but DON'T for god's sake move to London.. We don't do cities very well here, and London's the worst of the lot. One bloke I knew had a part time job for a London firm, and they regularly spent more than half the day in the truck getting to and from the job, the traffic's that bad. And if you wanted to live there, your wages wouldn't do much more than cover the rent, it's that dear. You'd be working just to pay your landlord.

Perhaps it would be worth thinking about where in the UK you would want to live, then we can give you more of an idea what it's like. It does vary a lot. There is some nice countryside left here, still.

If you're keen to move to a European country where they speak English, have you thought about Ireland? Less crowded, better quality of life and many parts are doing pretty well now. If you've got any ambitions to set up on your own, there's more help available there than the UK.

Last edited:
You have to pay to show that you can fall, buck and climb? What a scam, Rolla sorry about my figuring the place that small, it sure feels like it. What the hell, Ny, maybe you should go, they do have the best fish and chips and without a doubt the best beer.

tickets

Mr brushcutter they saw you coming,

i have carried out my training through the Scottish Agricultural College, my climbing and chainsaw tickets set me back £900 together and my RFS cert in Arb about £400.

granted that was all with European Social Fund help. but it pays to look around.

they are the only tickets that i have well a few others (MEWPs, First aid etc) but i do climb with a saw, whoops, and prune and do smaller sections (did i say that out loud :rolleyes:)

the plus point for someone heading over from the states is that as time goes on we are becoming more and more American.....aaaarrrrggghhhhhh

jamie

jamie said:
Mr brushcutter they saw you coming,

i have carried out my training through the Scottish Agricultural College, my climbing and chainsaw tickets set me back £900 together and my RFS cert in Arb about £400.

granted that was all with European Social Fund help. but it pays to look around.

they are the only tickets that i have well a few others (MEWPs, First aid etc) but i do climb with a saw, whoops, and prune and do smaller sections (did i say that out loud :rolleyes:)

the plus point for someone heading over from the states is that as time goes on we are becoming more and more American.....aaaarrrrggghhhhhh

jamie

AHH NOW THIS IS WHERE OUR ENGLISH MONEY IS GOING ,SUBING YOU JOCK'S :cool:

The beauty of this country for foreigners is that the govt will look after you better than us Brits, especially if you have a nice tanned complexion, an Islamic parentage, or are a single mum with loads of kids. But then we cant say that, can we? :Eye: :Eye:

moolah

english money i'll have you know your english money is being spent 'improving' our scottish NHS. the crap waiting times are a, ahem, temporary measure......honest.

and big a, i cant believe you can be sooooo politically incorrect. i mean grandmother at 25 she deserves a new house....for all the hard work she has done for society

jamie

Back