yard tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinemartin

tightwad
Reaction score
Just wondering how many of you guys charge a little more or even a extra set rate for yard trees. The other day I went to put a bid in on a full removal and seen that it was on the edge of this guys yard, on closer inspection I noticed several nails some old wire and even a old broadhead sticking out of the tree. It is not a huge tree by any means 22'' dia and about 65-70 ft high, like I said not huge but no telling what else is in there. There was a extra charge on my estimate that said yard tree with a extra 50 dollars behind it. The guy wanted to argue with me over that 50$ saying that why should he pay extra for a couple of old nails. In years past I have hit several things embeded in trees most commonly nails but there has been the ocasional bit of wire, some rocks and cement in crotches, and a old pitchfork head. Bars and chains are not free so I add this charge to all yard trees with visible contaminates, am I wrong or a a$$ for charging extra. By the way I was 175$ cheaper than the other bid. what do you guys think.

Aren't they all yard trees?

I could see if you were milling the lumber, but to put it on a removal bid, I think is not a good idea. Find another way to make up the cost or call it something different. Tell him if you hit something it will be X amount of dollars, that's what I do when I saw yard logs for lumber. They buy the blades if I hit something.

Last edited:
When bidding any residential job I simply assume there's gonna be crap in it. What did you do the first time you picked up daddy's hammer and nails as a kid? I just do my best to miss them and keep my prices high enough to cover it when it inevitably happens...like it did today.

Ive herd of too many people getting hurt running into crap inside of trees. Just remember I said VISIBLE contaminates this does not mean every tree with a bird house hanging on it, just the ones with unavoidable metal. I'm not trying to use this as a gimmick to get rich, just trying to cover the cost of the chains I will go through or the lost wages from getting hurt. I will go take pictures of that tree and show everyone the amount of crap stuck in it. what would you do add a little extra on the top?

If its absolutely ridiculous I won't even cut it. I'll let the HO know why I'm leaving the butt that high as well. If they want to assume responsibility for any bars/chains I destroy trying to get their stump a bit lower then I'll cut. I just think that tacking on extra at the onset when it's possible they might be avoided is a little shady. What happens if you don't kill a bar/chain? Give 'em money back? It just seems better the other way around to me. Sounds to me as if your HO wants it cheap cheap cheap. Tell him you won't cut below point "x".

Back