Yarding with an F150

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Started on the top end of ####'s patch this morning. Dry enough to drive 1/2 mile out through a stubble field to get there. I will be 'disappearing' every Black locust, most from the bottom but these 5 have to come out from the top. The slope is a bit steeper than it looks and I wasn't comfortable putting the PU back in there especially on slick grass and damp ground. Start to slip sideways and I would need a tow truck rescue.

004-12.jpg

The fifth one is that 'two-stem' small one that is down in the background. Started with it and tried to skid it out one piece. No go, so I did it in two 'turns'

turn1.jpg

I should have re-rigged for a 2x advantage - would have saved me a lot of time.

Turns 2&3 were the other half of that tree and 1 section of the turn 4 one. That was the 3rd tree in the line.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a292/turnkey4099/turn2.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a292/turnkey4099/turn3-1.jpg

On turn 3 I rigged for 2x but forgot how fast cabling runs out and the rig two blocks. By the time I realized it - too late. Came to a sudden stop, broke the end off a tow strap and yanked a clevis right through the snatch block.

turn4.jpg

Turn 4 rigged for 2x. Came out like a dream other than haveing to re-hook twice as the cable would run out (two block).

Only two small trees but it was a nice day, good excercise and got enough wood to more than pay for the gas. Next one to come out is the second one in line in the first picture - fairly good size but leans toward the seeded field to the right. I'm going to rig it for 2x advantage back to my 'spar' tree and try to fall it in that direction. No biggee if it doesn't work - I have permission to put it into the wheat - just be a lot more work packing brush back from there.

My spar tree is the biggest of the lot and will make a good load by itself. Hoping to get the two trees left at the end of the line on the next trip, mayby Saturday if it doesn't rain too much.

There will be a lot of skidding (all downhill) as I work from the bottom up the draw.

Harry K

I've been in similar situations without the solution.

Thanks for the solution in picture format.

Its one benefit for all of us that come here.

Dude... that's my truck you've got there. My F-150 just has bigger tires on it. I pretty regularly put a few pounds more on it than I should. Has been pretty good for me for a wood truck, but it needs some work soon. Your's looks ot be in a little better condition body wise. Nice job.

I guess I can't shut you down because you ARE getting one end suspension.:greenchainsaw: Your hooktender apparently knows how to rig trees for lift. Are you using your horn as a whistle/bugs? Are you yelling at yourself like they do on the TV show? :cheers:

I guess I can't shut you down because you ARE getting one end suspension.:greenchainsaw: Your hooktender apparently knows how to rig trees for lift. Are you using your horn as a whistle/bugs? Are you yelling at yourself like they do on the TV show? :cheers:

AAARRGGH! I forgot all about the mandatory yelling! Please don't ban me!

I should have posted that picture over on the arborist site and waited for all the yelling and screaming about a ladder in use even it is only to put up a snatch block :)

It is rather surprising what one can do with a 2 wheel drive, empty bed pickup, some cables and a few snatch blocks.

Couple days off due to weather and appointments. Need to clean the saws, sharp a couple and FIX THAT TOW STRAP. It is my only "stretchy" but has had almost all the 'stretch' yanked out. Not having any luck finding a new one here in town. Did they quit making them due to the danger?

Harry K

Dude... that's my truck you've got there. My F-150 just has bigger tires on it. I pretty regularly put a few pounds more on it than I should. Has been pretty good for me for a wood truck, but it needs some work soon. Your's looks ot be in a little better condition body wise. Nice job.

It is only a 2x and the picture lies. I wiped the mirror off that side and dented the door in. Rather proud of myself with the skill I used to fall a tree that close without actually hitting the truck ;). The other side has a big dent behind the door and of course the bed and tailgate are really beat. Scrapes and scratches everywhere. I bought it used back in the mid 90s right out of the paint shop. Cherry all the way through. Not any more, my trucks are working rigs, not p****y wagons.

Harry K

It is only a 2x and the picture lies. I wiped the mirror off that side and dented the door in. Rather proud of myself with the skill I used to fall a tree that close without actually hitting the truck ;). The other side has a big dent behind the door and of course the bed and tailgate are really beat. Scrapes and scratches everywhere. I bought it used back in the mid 90s right out of the paint shop. Cherry all the way through. Not any more, my trucks are working rigs, not p****y wagons.

Harry K

That expalins why you were concerned about the slope. Makes sense now. Maybe our trucks are in similar condition, after all. Still, mine isn't that photogenic.

And all this from a guy thinking about slowing down. HA!

Glad to see your still at it Harry.

I am trying to restrict my trips to about once a week now, not to 'slow down' just to drag out the work so I'd have something to do. But... I was out slaving away...oops, having fun, last week working non-stop for 4 hours trying to finish a tree when I heard a voice say "I'm too old to work like this" Didn't seem to take :).

I was out cruising my 1 acre pasture today looking for a "where am I going to stack it this summer". Figure I have at least 8-10 cords to be cut lined up already and have several 'ask it's in line. Even debated moving around 10 cords of my oldest (1993) locust out of one of my bins so I can use that space for the newest. I hope I can convince myself that that is getting into the 'stupid' category... Not that having 30 plus cords already isn't past the line...

Harry K

Me on the hood of O'l Blue shoveling the snow off...She's an '89 F-150 4wd, rust on the fenderwells (standard equipment), passenger sied of bed smashed last year by an inept operator loading mulch,was buried in the mud for 1 month down over the hill while cutting wood....she's a tough gal!

AAARRGGH!

Couple days off due to weather and appointments. Need to clean the saws, sharp a couple and FIX THAT TOW STRAP. It is my only "stretchy" but has had almost all the 'stretch' yanked out. Not having any luck finding a new one here in town. Did they quit making them due to the danger?

Harry K

If you know any truckers get a lumber strap, one of the wide ones. They work real well for "stretchy" towing...just enough stretch without getting too loose.

An upholstery shop or a tarp shop can sew a good eye in the ends if you don't have the stuff to do it yourself.

Ever work up around Bickleton?

Last edited:
If you know any truckers get a lumber strap, one of the wide ones. They work real well for "stretchy" towing...just enough stretch without getting too loose.

An upholstery shop or a tarp shop can sew a good eye in the ends if you don't have the stuff to do it yourself.

Ever work up around Bickleton?

Haven't worked much of anywhere except here in E-Washington and N Idaho.

I'll be checking a few people I know in the trucking business. Those original "boing-boing" straps (that is what the local parts house called them) were nice for starting tows, somewhat dangerous though.

Harry K

Harry how many straps do you need i have got a bunch of old ones i dont use any more let me know and i will drop them off next time I am buy there or drop them of in colfax for you TOM

Harry how many straps do you need i have got a bunch of old ones i dont use any more let me know and i will drop them off next time I am buy there or drop them of in colfax for you TOM

Thanks. I only need one "stretchy" one. I have enough of the others. Drop one off if convenient and be sure to stop by for a coffee or beer - your choice :) Might have to visit outside the house depending on the better half - she is disabled and doesn't like visitors usually.

I'm making progress on that site at Wilcox. Skidding trees out over junk piles is fun. Most of it needs to be done after harvest though.

Harry K

Last edited:
Another nice day, another tree 'disappeared'

005-11.jpg

Leans out and away from teh 'spar' tree. Wanted it to fall toward the spar to both keep it out of the wheat and to reduce brush dragging.

007-5.jpg

Success - didnt' really expect to get it that far - figured about 45 degree at best.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a292/turnkey4099/012.jpg

brushed out and ready for the pulling.

013.jpg

Ready for cutting. Log was right at 20" at the butt end - my 20" bar didn't make it all the way on the last cut.

That leaves the one still standing in picture 2, pluse the spar of course. Gonna need one of my 50ft cables plus a tow strap to reach it. Probably could wedge that one but will cable it just to ensure it falls the same way this one did. Gonna be fun working that. The farmer uses that area to dump his dead sheep. There are two only a few feet away from that tree and they are just today beginning to add to the ambiance out there. Nose clips anyone?

Chainsaw and binder twine make good partners - see thread 'have I told you how much I hate' in the chainsaw forum.

Harry K

Back