Yardman log splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DTB

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I saw a 25 ton, 6.5 briggs for sale on craigslist for 850 obo. I was wondering if they work well and are reliable? It looks like new from the picture.

Last edited:
ther ok i had one years ago but you have to hold the Handel all the time wen the ram gos all the way out if you don't stop it you will kill the motor so yup their junk keep looking you get Wat you pay for tom trees:cheers:

I saw a 25 ton, 6.5 briggs for sale on craigslist for 850 obo. I was wondering if they work well and are reliable? It looks like new from the picture.

Yardman is simply another MTD brand like Yard Machines, White Outdoor, Troy-Bilt, and Cub Cadet. They differ very little beyond paint and decals. Probably the closest thing currently is the Troy-Bilt 27 ton, whch sells for $1399. There may be some Yard Machine "Gold Series" at Ace stores and such that are similar for a hundred dollars less, but again they are all pretty much the same. The guy who originally bought the splitter you are looking at, probably paid somewhere in that range.

What MTD often does is increase the tonnage by slowing down the cycle time, but as I said, those splitters are all pretty much the same. Same valves, same rams/cylinders. They have used a mix of Briggs, Honda, and Tecumseh engines. IMO the Briggs is the best choice. The "cheap" Honda that they use is nowhere as good as the Briggs. The starters are pretty flimsy, especially when pulling over the pump along with the engine.

All in all, they are very good splitters for a guy who is just doing his own wood. We sold a bunch of them last year, (all Briggs), and the customers have all been very satisfied. I've got one myself, and it has served me well for the last 7 or 8 years.

I've got a YardMachines with the 5.5 Honda. I'm 110% happy with it.... its around 5 or so years old. I'd speculate i've split 50 - 60 cord of wood with no problems, and no repairs (other than having to replace one bolt). It absolutely splits everything I've thrown at it, including ugly Elm crotches.

i wish my yardamchine mower held up like that. it lasted one season of mowing on my huge 1/3 acre lot :censored: always kept it inside too. i got a old murray from a guy at work free like 3 years ago. she runs like a top.

They have used a mix of Briggs, Honda, and Tecumseh engines. IMO the Briggs is the best choice. The "cheap" Honda that they use is nowhere as good as the Briggs. The starters are pretty flimsy, especially when pulling over the pump along with the engine.

Couldn't agree more.

The engines they're badging as Honda GCs are not even a far removed relative of the GX true commercial grade series Honda motor. A couple of the OPE dealers I know try to avoid stocking equipment with that engine as they've had several issues.

Take Care

Keep Looking

I will keep looking around for another splitter. This one sold quickly. Thanks for all of the replies.

Latest posts

Back