Yeah, I'm bragging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyb13

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My BIL's 14 year old started hanging around a lot. He said he wanted a WII or we or whatever it is. I told him to go to work. No jobs for a 14 year old was his reply. WRONG. Long story short! I let him use a old Snapper, with the advice, always do it right. He now has 6 yards he is taking care of. Bought his own used Bunton walk behind, and a used Echo weedeater. I gave him a 026 as long as he leaves it at my home along with PPE. Today he told me he was saving to get a small used Tractor. He hasn't mentioned the WII, He has lost over 30 lbs, and loves to be outside, and make his own money. Wonder what the heck happened to my BIL's genes here. I have got to enjoying him being around. I have drilled into his head so many times about taking care of his stuff he can repeat it from memory. He locks his tools up at my farm, and is very protective of them. I'm right proud of the kid. I don't mind helping him. Best of all he got a high and tight haircut, and wears a belt now. Now I'm drilling on Education or join the Navy. He showed me his savings acount book today. $461 bucks. He is trying.

My BIL's 14 year old started hanging around a lot. He said he wanted a WII or we or whatever it is. I told him to go to work. No jobs for a 14 year old was his reply. WRONG. Long story short! I let him use a old Snapper, with the advice, always do it right. He now has 6 yards he is taking care of. Bought his own used Bunton walk behind, and a used Echo weedeater. I gave him a 026 as long as he leaves it at my home along with PPE. Today he told me he was saving to get a small used Tractor. He hasn't mentioned the WII, He has lost over 30 lbs, and loves to be outside, and make his own money. Wonder what the heck happened to my BIL's genes here. I have got to enjoying him being around. I have drilled into his head so many times about taking care of his stuff he can repeat it from memory. He locks his tools up at my farm, and is very protective of them. I'm right proud of the kid. I don't mind helping him. Best of all he got a high and tight haircut, and wears a belt now. Now I'm drilling on Education or join the Navy. He showed me his savings acount book today. $461 bucks. He is trying.

I think more people should be doing this type of service for young people these days . It takes some time and guidance from you but it instills some values in young people that many seem not to have these days. A couple of young fellows have come and gone through the years through my life and they all seemed to bennifit from what I taught them as I could see potential in them but they were on the fast track to nowhere when they first began to hang around.They pulled up their socks and started to look after themselves and their tools and gear and now are making a living on their own instead of looking out between bars. LOL. Pioneerguy600

I remember when I was 14, I did all the yard stuff, mow the lawn,cut the hedge, rototill the garden. I did not get paid in money but my Dad helped me restore his old 68 Chev to like new condition, I could't wait to get my drivers license. I was in school and my parents did not want me to work and take away from studying.
When I was in my mid 20's I will never forget taking my dad fishing and hunting in that old truck.All that hard work paid off.

i didn't think there were any good kids left. the type who want to work for what they want.

i really shouldn't discriminate, most adults don't want to earn either.

that said i'm glad you found a good kid. keep up your good works. :clap:
v

You have a right to be braggin' on that kid. Not only did you do something good for him, but you did something good for all the rest of us because productive people contribute a lot more to the common good than they take out.

GOOD WORK.

Navy? Navy?? NAVY?!?

Tell him to join the Marines or the Air Force. All the way gung ho or all the way in the other direction I say... LOL... ex-army dog here.

Ian

Yeah you're proud....

And you have every right to be. I spent 5 years working in prisons and the lack of a positive role model was an underlying theme in at LEAST 75% of the young men in there.
I would like to thank you for taking the time to mentor this young man. We need a lot more of that!
Mike

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap::clap: :clap: :clap:

Great story. I hope to do as well with my own. They are only four but I try to instill the values now!

They are getting good at helping Dad stack the piles......

JD in PA

Dang straight NAVY. End of discussion!

Hehe... oh no, you're not ending it that way... my 2 best friends were navy. I've heard about the jet fuel/diesel in the shower water and the turds sloshing around in the shower in high seas.....

Just yanking yer chain. My dad was career AF. He just about chained me to the radiator when I told him I was talking to the Marine recruiter... we split the difference and I went army.

Ian

Latest posts

Back