Yellow Birch Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mighty Oak

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking to plant a tree this Fall and would like to know what tree would be a nice shade tree for the backyard, at the present time I am looking at the Yellow Birch tree. What I want is a tree that will provide some kind of food, shatter for birds. I am looking at a tree that would get 70 feet or more. Light shade to medium shade. Nice color in the Fall.

Right now I have a Washington Hawthorn, 2 Crabapple, Oak, and a Wild Cherry tree. Yes do live in a small city.

Does anyone have a Yellow Birch tree and if so can you tell me what you like about it, and what you don't like about it?

I have 3 in my front yard and can't wait to firewood them. Problem is, I don't believe in killing any tree that is still healthy. So barring storm damage, I may have a long wait. They're all around the 45'-50' range and they are messy as heck. Grass will not grow well under them and they will clog gutters in no time flat. They also drop small twigs most of the year except for mid to late summer. I have never seen any bird nests in any of them. It's probably because they don't provide much cover for birds. On the other hand, squirells love them. They are nice to look at from a distance but not a tree I would intentionally plant in my yard.

I have 3 in my front yard and can't wait to firewood them. Problem is, I don't believe in killing any tree that is still healthy. So barring storm damage, I may have a long wait. They're all around the 45'-50' range and they are messy as heck. Grass will not grow well under them and they will clog gutters in no time flat. They also drop small twigs most of the year except for mid to late summer. I have never seen any bird nests in any of them. It's probably because they don't provide much cover for birds. On the other hand, squirells love them. They are nice to look at from a distance but not a tree I would intentionally plant in my yard.

That said an done what would be the best tree that I may look at for what I want to do?

Honey locust might be a good choice, with several caveats. The leaves are small, so that the shade tends to be light. They also don't need raking since being so small, they disintegrate quickily in place. The only problems with the honey locust are the once-a year raking of the pods and if you have very thin topsoil, the roots will lie on the surface interfering with mowing. The sugar maples suggested give very deep shade, and grass often doesn't grow under them.

how about a silver maple? i know they are not as long lasting and hardy as sugarmaples but they are fast growing. being that i am a sugarmaker and had some extra space for some trees i bought 10 silver maple seedlings, they say they are supposed to be to tappable size in 10 years or less, so while they may not be the finest trees they are fast to establish a good shady spot for you

Mighty Oak, Your list of existing trees are wonderful as they have the fruit that will attract birds and/or the foliage that they will enjoy being in.

Consider a red mulberry, Morus rubra. We have friends who are SERIOUSLY into birds, he is a licensed hummingbird bander, and they swear by the red mulberry for "the" tree for birds. This tree can get close to your height requirement.

Another selection would be one of the mountain ash species, Sorbus aucuparia, for example, or Sorbus decora, although this one is much shorter. The birds LOVE the berries in the fall, and the dense foliage is attractive to them.

Placing a mulch ring around the tree will not only benefit the tree but will minimize the mess you need to deal with as all debris that falls can be left.

For habitat, we find trees with denser foliage attract many birds as they are able to hide from predators quickly. The tighter limbs offer many nesting opportunities as well.

Sylvia

Mighty Oak, Your list of existing trees are wonderful as they have the fruit that will attract birds and/or the foliage that they will enjoy being in.

Consider a red mulberry, Morus rubra. We have friends who are SERIOUSLY into birds, he is a licensed hummingbird bander, and they swear by the red mulberry for "the" tree for birds. This tree can get close to your height requirement.

Another selection would be one of the mountain ash species, Sorbus aucuparia, for example, or Sorbus decora, although this one is much shorter. The birds LOVE the berries in the fall, and the dense foliage is attractive to them.

Placing a mulch ring around the tree will not only benefit the tree but will minimize the mess you need to deal with as all debris that falls can be left.

For habitat, we find trees with denser foliage attract many birds as they are able to hide from predators quickly. The tighter limbs offer many nesting opportunities as well.

Sylvia

These are excellent suggestions. As for grass - it competes with the trees for food so better to mulch rather than try to force grass to grow. That will also eliminate the need for trimming grass around the trunk which poses the threat of damage to the bark and cambium layer.

Back