Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can the tree be saved?

• Yes

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

AnthonyD

Reaction score
I have a Yellow Popular (or tulip popular) that is in pretty bad shape. I was spraying poison ivy killer approximately a year ago and I assume I accidentally got some on the tree, although I tried to keep it off.

in any case I want to see if the tree can be salvaged. since we are in winter i cannot gauge the health of the tree however all last summer is bloomed and had healthy leaves, however it is losing a significant amount of bark. in the first image the southern facing side is in pretty bad shape, the rest of the tree is looking alright at first glance, however I don't know how healthy the bark really is. the second is just an overview and the third is to help confirm i have the correct identification of the tree. ( i am pretty sure it is a yellow or tulip popular but I will let the experts make that call)

I am unfamiliar with how to save a tree in this state so any recommendations are greatly appreciated, as this is one of the larger trees in my yard and would really like to keep it around.

Thanks in advance for any help,
-Anthony

IMG_0728.jpg IMG_0730.jpg IMG_0729.jpg

That is a tulip-poplar

The damage is older than 1 year. Something killed a patch of the bark - can't really tell from that pic. Could have been previous roundup? Fire damage? Insect damage? Etc... That has started to decay. How soft is the wood, and how far in does the rot go?

What is the tree going to hit if it falls?

Yes the damage is somewhere around a year old, it was probably spring clearing of poison ivy last year ( i dont remember the exact date). As I stated before last year the tree appeared healthy, except for the bark loss that was pretty minimal during the summer. This winter it has become much more obvious. It is too far from any structures to be a real risk, if I have to fell it the only consideration is I will have to be careful to not drop it on my septic field, as it is a decent size tree.

Even if the tree has a very poor chance of making it, is there anything I can do to try to salvage it? it is a good looking tree that I will hate to loose.

Poison Ivy spray would not cause that kind of bark damage. If it did affect the tree, it would show in the foliage. Something damaged the tree prior to the spray, and probably wasn't noticed. As ATH said, the rot in the stem is several years old. You need to assess the rot to see how impacted the whole stem is.

I would wait until it leaves out this spring and see how impacted the canopy is and then consider having someone do an on-site assessment.

That damage is older than 1 year. I understand that you didn't notice it a year ago...but it is older than 1 year.

What you can do to help it depends on what caused the damage...and if it is still there. I'm guessing it was insect damage. Flake off lose bark (but don't get into live tissue) to see what else is under there. There WILL be bugs, but probably not the ones that caused the damage...just some that found a place to hide.

In the first picture...what is that big knot at the bottom right? Can you get a picture of the right side just like your first picture?

The reason I asked about what it would it if it falls...if it isn't going to hit anything, just wait and see what happens. If there is any indication of active bugs under the bark, it would be a good idea to treat them.

I have had a pretty bad ant problem for the past 2+ years that has been reeking havoc on my yard, they have attached another tree in the yard but only ate leaves off of it, they do not appear to have attached the trunk or bark of that tree. I sprayed around the base and that cleared it right up. I have attached a few more photos of the trunk, and a close up of the knot that ATH requested. The tree is actually looking worse that I thought, it got pretty bad these past few months.

So assuming it is ant damage, is there any particular brand or process anyone recommends? I know the tree is in a delicate state so I don't want to use some product that only makes it worse, or wastes what little time (if any) I have to salvage it.

IMG_0743.jpg IMG_0742.jpg IMG_0741.jpg

Ants are a secondary problem. They only affect areas that are already decaying, not causing the decay, or wounding. They are not weakening the tree, fungi are. The wounding I see on the later pictures is often times lawn mower or string trimmer damage. The first injury is older than a year, decay has already started and this takes longer than a year. The bark may have just started falling off but the injury is older than that. Saving the tree, might be ok on its own, cultural practices help including PROPER watering (not every day, not water sprayed on the trunk), proper fertilization, etc.

...and not suffocating the roots with landscape fabric. I think we are seeing an accumulation of stresses leading to a decline in the tree. When a tree is stressed, it is more vulnerable to other pests, and the whole think kinda snowballs.

1) Can't tell for sure from that picture, but the soil looks a little clayey. Tulip-poplar would rather not have to grow in clay.
2) Looks planted a little deep.
3) Landscape fabric is not good for tree roots.
4) I agree with Oldmaple that there is probably some lawn mower damage there (I call it Toro blight or Deere damage, depending...).
5) The ground around the tree looks a little bare. Is that the fabric, just seasonal, herbicide OR are there nutrient deficiencies and/or compacted soil? Often the condition of the turf can be a hint to the condition of the soil. If somebody has a lush green yard and asks about fertilizing their tree, I point out that we can test, but there is a hint that the soil is probably rich with nutrients... If there are bare spots all over, a hint that perhaps the soil isn't in great shape.

That "knot" is where a patch of cambium was not killed one year, so it grew while the surrounding tissue did not. Then the cambium there died. You can see some other lines where the same happened...

It is certainly on the downward spiral and getting it out of that can be like pushing water uphill. Not impossible...but not easy. I'd pull up the fabric. Make sure the root flare is appropriately exposed and mulch a big area around the tree. Put down a an inch of compost first, then wood mulch (2-3" max) and pull it away from the trunk, not piled up against the trunk. See also the watering comments from Oldmaple above. That tree will take a lot of water if it needs it though...

Did it have brown leaves a couple of summers ago? East and SE Ohio had a pretty bad breakout of Yellow poplar Weevil a couple of years ago. That won't kill a tree, but could be a significant stress.

If you really wanted to invest $ into the tree, I'd say incorporate the compost into the soil with air excavation (a rototiller will damage too many roots) in the fall (tulip-poplar roots are too easy to damage in the spring...). But I'm not sure you will be able to pull it up, even with that. Mulch is pretty cheap.

I say again, it’s a goner.

I've never seen a poplar like that. Wish it could be saved, but it looks beyond repair. The diseased area looks to go into the structure pretty deeply.

I'd agree the outlook is not good...but if it is not going to hit anything if it falls and they can spend <$50 in mulch and compost .... give it a try/see what happens.
When mulching should it extend to the drip edge of the tree? BTW - I have learned a lot about what and what not to do in caring for trees from your posts. Just saying thanks for sharing.

When mulching should it extend to the drip edge of the tree? BTW - I have learned a lot about what and what not to do in caring for trees from your posts. Just saying thanks for sharing.
Yes to drip-line but there are a few times I wont recommend mulching. Wet areas that are wet even in august, Trees that like dry feet etc. Most cases in a urban landscape though, mulch; "especially organic mulch"is the single best thing we can do for trees.

Thanks for the kind words JTM...

Yes, the wider the mulch, the better. Not everybody is willing to go the drip line, but that far (or more) is best. The roots extend beyond the drip line, and you want roots in good soil.

It is certainly on the downward spiral and getting it out of that can be like pushing water uphill. Not impossible...but not easy. I'd pull up the fabric. Make sure the root flare is appropriately exposed and mulch a big area around the tree. Put down a an inch of compost first, then wood mulch (2-3" max) and pull it away from the trunk, not piled up against the trunk. See also the watering comments from Oldmaple above. That tree will take a lot of water if it needs it though...

Did it have brown leaves a couple of summers ago? East and SE Ohio had a pretty bad breakout of Yellow poplar Weevil a couple of years ago. That won't kill a tree, but could be a significant stress.

If you really wanted to invest $ into the tree, I'd say incorporate the compost into the soil with air excavation (a rototiller will damage too many roots) in the fall (tulip-poplar roots are too easy to damage in the spring...). But I'm not sure you will be able to pull it up, even with that. Mulch is pretty cheap.
Yes I agree the tree is suffering but as you said getting it some compost and mulch can create a healthy environment for it to produce again and fast growers typically try to out grow decay. This tree actually has somewhat of a chance imo. No structures to fret over nothing to lose but a bit of wood chips and compost why not :)

I have a Yellow Popular (or tulip popular) that is in pretty bad shape. I was spraying poison ivy killer approximately a year ago and I assume I accidentally got some on the tree, although I tried to keep it off.

in any case I want to see if the tree can be salvaged. since we are in winter i cannot gauge the health of the tree however all last summer is bloomed and had healthy leaves, however it is losing a significant amount of bark. in the first image the southern facing side is in pretty bad shape, the rest of the tree is looking alright at first glance, however I don't know how healthy the bark really is. the second is just an overview and the third is to help confirm i have the correct identification of the tree. ( i am pretty sure it is a yellow or tulip popular but I will let the experts make that call)

I am unfamiliar with how to save a tree in this state so any recommendations are greatly appreciated, as this is one of the larger trees in my yard and would really like to keep it around.

Thanks in advance for any help,
-Anthony

View attachment 639486 View attachment 639488 View attachment 639491
t it up
tree looks like it s dead
i would cut it up split it and stack it and next year burn it in fireplace ,wood stove ,firepit

Latest posts

Back