"Yes you may"..possibly the easiest scrounge I ever had!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Awhile ago I told of that Halloween storm that wreaked havoc here in Eastern PA. One of the things that I saw was downed cherry pieces and some Osage Orange-I have never burned it but you guys tell of its greatness. Funny thing is I drive past this house a lot and before the storm I remember seeing a decent section of Osage still on the tree but with no limbs, and I often thought about stopping and asking the homeowner if he would mind if I cut that section off but thought better of it. Well, Mother Nature did the work for me and some more. Today, I finally had time to stop, park the truck and survey the scrounge and decided it was a good one, so I was walking up to the house to ask permission and the door opens and the guy says "yes you may" meaning go for it! I talked a little with him and he said "do whatever you want"; I couldn't believe it and thought "this was the easiest scrounge I ever had"...I didn't even have to knock on the door lol!!!

When in doubt, just ask...you'll more likely hear yes than no!!

Well....dang if that dosn't even qualify for a "Scrounge".

No begging, pleading, trading, or even knocking involved.

I ain't sure what to call it other than Lucky find. Dang!

You're doing something right, cuz folks don't get that lucky without a reason.;)

While you're out there, make sure to round up all the hedge apples that are in good shape as well.
The craft stores and such pay stupid money for the darn things, and then sell them to citiots for ridiculous money.
I don't get it, but the goofballs want them and will pay.

Get the Semi-chisel filed and ready, and make sure to post pics!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Lucky break! There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of it around, and I'm curious to try it. Probably gonna be curious for a long time. Not that I'm needing more wood to deal with.

It's not native to Penn's Woods but lives here just fine. It was brought north to make fence rows. It is one of the hardest woods around. High BTUs on the charts, I made a couple stick bows out of Osage, its hard. The one piece was so tight graned you could hardly tell the changeover from winter to summer groth rings.

Ted

P.S. firewood length pieces don't make it easy for makeing a bow. 6" dia by 6 ft long, strait, no branches, are prime.

My easiest and most surprising was when I did a "knock and ask". 10 acre site with big black locusts standing everywhere with another batch of 6 huge ones out inthe middle of a field.

Old lady comes to door, Me: "Maam, I am looking for fire wood and wonder if I could cut some of these dead trees":. "Sure, I don't know why not but all of them need to go". Took me a full season to harvest all of it.

Harry K

My easiest and most surprising was when I did a "knock and ask". 10 acre site with big black locusts standing everywhere with another batch of 6 huge ones out inthe middle of a field.

Old lady comes to door, Me: "Maam, I am looking for fire wood and wonder if I could cut some of these dead trees":. "Sure, I don't know why not but all of them need to go". Took me a full season to harvest all of it.

Harry K

I remember that Harry-it was quite an "upgrade" over your usual Willow if I recall.

What amuses me most about this is I didn't even get within 30 feet of the door when it swung open and that's all he said "yes, you may"!!! He had been watching me the whole time and could read my mind which isn't difficult!

I don't have these here on my property in PA but they were all over in DE. I had to clear a trail once through a grove of these and remember it like yesterday. Took forever by hand...

I have stumbled into a scroungers dream also. My wife's, brothers, daughters, boyfriend is a tree service guy. When I found that out I asked and he said "Sure, I can hook you up". Since last summer, he has called about 10 times to go pick up rounds where they have done take downs. About 15 cord so far. Only downside is they cut em goofy lengths and species not always the best. Like pine and cedar. I do not complain and take it all.:rock:

Back