Yesterday's Project: Husky 55 Air Injection Rebuild/Porting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've had a really nice Husky 55 Air Injection saw setting here for several months. I had all the parts I needed to go through it. I finally decided to "Get 'R Done". I started with a complete disassembly, including splitting the crankcase. That all went back together with new OEM seals and gaskets. As mentioned, this is the Air Injection model with the closed port topend. As so many do, this one had a scored piston. So, I replaced it with a Meteor Husky 51 piston and cut windows in it's full skirt. I machined a .030" popup and set the squish at .020". Compression is about 185 PSI after 2 heat cycles, right where I like it. While apart, I went ahead and ported it. I gave it similar numbers as what I would do on a 346. I don't expect it to run quite as well as a 346, but it should be a very strong runner. When working on these, make sure to replace the impulse seal. I'm not a fan of this connection, and suspect it's partially to blame for many scored pistons. All in all, this is a very well built saw. The only thing it's missing is an oiler that doesn't oil at idle, and a filter cover without screws. Everything else about this saw is professional grade all the way. It'll end up being tuned somewhere between 13,500-14,000. I'm anxious to see how she runs in the wood. I need me a farm with a wood lot:)

The Air Injection starter decal had been replaced when I got it. Unfortunately, I don't think they're available.

IMG_1720-M.jpg

IMG_1721-M.jpg

IMG_1722-M.jpg

IMG_1723-M.jpg

The baffle was removed from inside the muffler and the factory opening enlarged.
IMG_1724-M.jpg

IMG_1727-L.jpg

IMG_1725-M.jpg

IMG_1728-M.jpg

IMG_1726-M.jpg

Last edited:
Brad, why did you replace the 55 piston with a 51?I may be missing something. "So, I replaced it with a Meteor Husky 51 piston and cut windows in it's full skirt." ??? Ken

Brad, why did you replace the 55 piston with a 51?I may be missing something. "So, I replaced it with a Meteor Husky 51 piston and cut windows in it's full skirt." ??? Ken

As I understand it, a piston for the 55 with closed transfer ports is no longer available. Options are, replace the entire top end, or modify a piston from another saw.

Brad,So what it boils down to is you turned a 55 into a 51, or I am missing a piece of the puzzle.You mentioned that you put in a Meteor 51 piston into it. I will assume that you put the piston into a 51cc cylinder.Is that what was accomplished? Is the 51 cylinder a closed or open port?Ken

Brad,So what it boils down to is you turned a 55 into a 51, or I am missing a piece of the puzzle.You mentioned that you put in a Meteor 51 piston into it. I will assume that you put the piston into a 51cc cylinder.Is that what was accomplished? Is the 51 cylinder a closed or open port?Ken

Husky 50 & 51 - 45mm open port ... okay power

Husky 55 (standard) - 46mm ... more power

Husky 55 Closed Port - 45mm... most power

While you start with a 51 piston, you have to modify the sides of it to facilitate the air/fuel mixture flow into the transfer ports on a "closed port" 55. They only made the 55 with closed ports for a few years... sawtroll would know this one. If I remember correctly 2000 - 2003....ish.

Brad, did you happen to take a picture of the piston after modifying it?
Sorry, but I did not.

No. I simply replaced the piston. I took a 51 piston and cut windows in it. I've done two like this now. All dimensions are the same: piston height, pin height, skirt length. But it's a full skirt piston with no windows. It's a pain to do, but I put windows in it and it works great.

Brad I'm very iterested in this build. I have a 50 ranche sporting a 55 cp top end. I also have a 345 with a torched top end that I want to put a 346 top on. Do you still have that hopped up 350 that you can compare this saw too? And any pics of the port work?

Back