Yesterday's Project: Husky 55 Air Injection Rebuild/Porting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was lucky enough to pick one of these up for 40 bucks a few years back it was scored and I searched everywhere for a piston couldn't find one so I pulled a jerry rig sanded the scoring out of the piston and honed the cylinder don't remember my numbers but did port it out. I've run probably 30 gallons of gas through it still running strong it is my favorite go to saw cause it is light and still has some grunt to it. It's set at 14 k and four strokes to 15k. They are awesome little saws.

Just so folks don't start buying up every "Air Injection" 55 they see on CL thinking they're all closed port top ends, they aren't.

Be interesting to see how the windowed piston holds up in this one. The popup may be pushing it.

How is the one holding up that you did for the acquaintance that led to this project?

BTW, posts #23 and #24 in this thread pretty much describe the easiest ways to identify the closed port/open port differences.

http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...y-55-on-craigslist-this-evening.232288/page-2

Last edited:
I picked up this 55 last summer along with over 20 chains for $125.
Just needed a little carb work done.
I have only used it a couple times.

Can you tell me if it is an open or close port Husq55plate.jpgHusq55Air.jpg

See 50-51 and 55's for sale all the time but most of the pic's are so bad you can't tell if they are CP or OP. Many are not running and it's a shot in the dark to take a chance it might be a CP. Even if it was, the odds are high it has a toasted piston any way.

See 50-51 and 55's for sale all the time but most of the pic's are so bad you can't tell if they are CP or OP. Many are not running and it's a shot in the dark to take a chance it might be a CP. Even if it was, the odds are high it has a toasted piston any way.
I agree, but knowing what to look for helps a little :) and modifying the right piston can get you a pretty good saw cheap!

I am really liking the idea of the piston modification. If people would just take close up pics, like they should, it would make it a lot easier to determine if it's a CP or not. I wouldn't imagine you get nearly the same results by modifying a piston for an OP saw. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but I don't ( haven't) seen much said about piston modification of an OP.

I would think the correct modification of the "right" piston would improve just about any saw if it can be done.

Latest posts

Back