Yesterday's Project: Husky 55 Air Injection Rebuild/Porting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which raises a lot of questions - such as what makes them crack? The heat generated from the cutting causing the metal to become fatigued, or the port job causing added strain on the piston, for example ?

I'm glad you said it Randy, the idea of cutting holes in anything that wasn't cast or forged to have a hole there has never sat right with me, throw in multiple heat cycles and it should just be a matter of time.

If your going to open the windows in a piston you'll need to do some polishing and some heat treatment at the end. You have got to relieve the stress risers form the casting created by a sutle but new stress area.

Here's the piston in my 55.

IMG_1740-M.jpg

IMG_1739-M.jpg

I went back in to open up the lower transfer ducts to the case. This idea came from Stihlbro. With this modification, windows would not be needed in the piston.......

Doesn't that just makes it an open port top end again and defeat the purpose of the whole exercise?

edit: Nevermind. I just read the other recent 55 thread with everyone's input on the subject and I guess the answer is crystal clear....sorta.:laugh:

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/hard-time-finding-the-right-piston-husky55.249742/

Last edited:
Brad to show folks they dont know what they are talking about on making a closed port into a open port going backwards. :dizzy:
My race MVP 166 bridge was removed to make it open port and my MVP copied cylinder on my partner 5000 you ran against and maybe ran had bridge removed to make it open port too. ;):laugh: They ran pretty dang good didnt they. o_O

Last edited:
Back