yet another ? about porting tools

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t know the speed of the dental stuff but my foredom sr tops out at 18,000rpm so you should be fine at 20Krpm

I see you mentioned and showed a picture of dental equipment that you use.How many RPM's.does that motor have that drives the dental equipment?
Thanks
Lawrence

Okay I don't own a compressor at present,but I do own a flex shaft that I bought to go with a Baldor industrial motor that I already own, it is 1/4 hp and rpm is 1725.I have a chuck attachment for the motor shaft and that is what the flex shaft is coupled to.But the motor is turning way to slow,even when I hook up a sanding disc to the flex shaft it takes forever to get anything done.So my question is this, if I upgrade the motor for the flexshaft how many horsepower and rpm's should I be looking at if I get a new motor.The flex shaft is rated to max. 20,000 rpm.Will 20,000 rpm get things done with the flexshaft or should I just focus on some thing else for down the road when I get into this sort of thing? I think I should add that before I even get into porting and stuff I would use it for polishing smaller stuff and grinding/sanding/cutting smaller metal pieces.
Many Thanks
Lawrence

Lawrence the motor is good for 35,000rpm.
The contra angle is probably only doing around 20/25,000rpm at a guess and could do with a little more.
With that said, a single cut, small dia bit similar to the Dremel bit picture I posted would have less chatter and seems fine for the upper transfers.
Ideally you want to aim for at least 30,000 rpm.
A small compressor is cheap and have a look at those pencil grinders at $40.
For $150 you could be ready to go.

As far as bits clogging, I occasionally spray the area with WD40/CRC and if I forget and the bit clogs I spray the area and the bit clears almost immediately.

Does it matter whether the exhaust is front or rear ?

Just reading over your thread again and noticed that I missed your question, sorry about that. My air grinder is rear exhaust, it does not blow chips around and is not cold on the hands at all, I can run it for an hour or so at a time and never noticed it being cold. The burr bits I use do not need any cutting lube used on them so this makes them less messy to work with.
Pioneerguy600

HERE WE GO!:cheers:

LOL. . . That 117 turned out to be a little freak-show. That thing was 61cc, and pulled a 24",full comp (square filed) like it wasn't even there. It's now back home with it's owner, after sitting alone -- wanting to cut something -- for 8 long years.

I just finished porting an 066. . . Dat's a mean mamma-jamma too. :D

Oh really, so where is the thread Nate? :)

Mmmmmm. . . Didn't make one mate.

Not sure I want to either. . . Seems like a huge can of worms waiting to be opened, and I already have enough drama in real life. ;)

Just look at what has happened in several build threads over the last year.

Back