Yet another spiltter question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catch

Reaction score
First of all, thanks to everyone for all the valuable info shared. After purchasing a owb in january, the need for a splitter was there after a month of swinging the 12 pound maul. Dad still had the splitter we used when i was a kid. 30 years ago this thing was a beast. He decided to help me out and save me some money, and replace the blown 18hp engine with an extra engine that was on a pressure washer( a 6.75 briggs). This splitter went from splitting everything you layed on it(or breaking something) to having trouble splitting alot of what i cut. Anyone with suggestions, please help. Did the smaller engine make that big a differnce?

You may well have to go with a 2 stage pump. I'm thinking the engine/pump combination are a bit off with replacing an 18HP with a 6.75HP.

catch, the hydraulic guy that helps me out when I'm stuck tells me that when going hydraulic the ratio for best performance is to go with at least twice the HP of the gpm of the pump you will be using when going with a single stage pump and when going with a two stage pump to go with at least twice the HP of the lower number of the two stage pump.

He says that if you're using a 16 gallon per minute single stage pump it is best to use at least a 32 HP motor for best performance.

If you use a 2 stage 16/4 you'll find that most manufacturers say that this pump is rated for at least an 8HP engine.

ArcherTwo, found an old 10hp industrial/commercial briggs today, i'll be installing soon. Thanks again for your help.

Did the smaller engine make that big a differnce?

No, the big one was just there to make extra noise and keep the oil refinery in business. Of course it made that big of a difference.

18hp screams 1-stage pump or massive splitter. Depending on the PSI that everything else in the system is rated for, you might be able to put a 2-stage on instead and you should be back to doing OK.

Back