Yet another splitter build :D

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Firewood

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
changing teeth on the firewood processor in Toledo
boredom kicked me in the bum this weekend so I started another splitter, this one will be a wedge on beam style with a 3½" bore cylinder 11 gpm 2 stage powered by either a 7 hp Petter single cyl diesel or 8 hp Kubota single cyl diesel. I have never built or even used a splitter this style so I figure I'll build one to see how it works:
img20101102213559.jpg

I am using a 6"x6" heavy web H beam that has 5/16" flanges and main web with a 1" thick plate steel wedge

I always see posts and other people telling me how they push the wedge right off the beam on this style splitter, well the easy solution is to recess it down into the main web like this:

img20101114204956.jpg

it gives 4 more places the wedge can be welded...

7018 Rod 165 amps for the root pass and 7014 for the cap

img20101114220350.jpg

more pics tomorrow as I work on it more:biggrinbounce2:

How long is the cylinder your using? Are you going to make it an upright or horizontal splitter? I think upright is probably better but thats my opinion. I think that using the diesel is a great idea. Should run for a long time on a tank. :)

next time you feel board try cleaning up your shop. that place is a dump:greenchainsaw:

I like it! :) And let us not forget, the genius masters chaos! ;)

But it sure is fun to find something sometimes.

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back