Yet ANOTHER "which top-handled" saw thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty tired of buying parts for our 200t's, and all my guys seem to treat them like they are cheap. So I'll give them something cheap. A replacement gas tank costs over $100, and the dealer never gets the right one. Damn things cost too much to keep having them disappear.

All you Stihl MS-200t lovers, please keep your opinions to yourself. I already know how well they cut and run.

I am looking into the Echo 360t and the Dolmar 2139(?), which other threads here at AS have indicated are pretty good saws, especially if the mufflers are modified. I have not done any reasearch yet on Husqvarna saws. Shindaiwa is out, I know all about their 357.

Does anybody have any specific advice about these or any other non-Stihl top handled saws?

I'd buy them a hand saw and tell them if they want a power saw then THEY can go buy one and keep it repaired themselves.

You make me supply a saw, you pay rent on that saw. ~$20-30/day

Give me a POS saw as a 'punishment' replacement, watch my productivity drop accordingly -> your costs go up.

Suspend me - you're still making machine/truck payments with no revenue coming in.

Repairs are a part of doing business and tax deductible. If there is a pattern of equipment abuse, then maybe you don't want that operator.

Or simply fire them and hire someone else better than they are.

out of curiosity I googled that echo. I cant seem to find any HP rating... any idea what that thing puts out?

No idea on what the power output stock is, but muffler modded I would say it is close to the 200T's power. If is definitely worth the money IMO.

No idea on what the power output stock is, but muffler modded I would say it is close to the 200T's power. If is definitely worth the money IMO.

Thanks for the info. I am thinking about getting one. dont NEED one, but curiousity just might get the best of me. Only worry is that my Stihls might gang up on the lil echo and beat it with soap-filled tube socks in the middle of the night...:greenchainsaw:

Thanks for the info. I am thinking about getting one. dont NEED one, but curiousity just might get the best of me. Only worry is that my Stihls might gang up on the lil echo and beat it with soap-filled tube socks in the middle of the night...:greenchainsaw:

Just keep Echo in a separate room :) My Echo has survived so far!!

Good little saws, I do have the smaller 330T .. not up to the 200T but it works well for what it costs and I can't complain.

There's a rule that the operators go by that says one machine, one man. If your machine gets broken, you aren't gonna be working. Seems simple enough to me. If you have a guy mistreating your equipment, bring him in and call him on it. The company I work at now, we are lucky to have anything even start. It's not fair, in my opinion, to charge the guy who you are paying by the hour to fix YOUR equipment. But if he doesn't have a saw, how can he work? I'm not in the union anymore, but I wouldn't work a place that made me fix their stuff. Period. I've been taken advantage of by enough of those small places. I know it's hard when you are running your own shop and hemorrhaging money on repairs. At the same time though, I've heard journeymen joke about rolling a brand new D8 cat and trashing it, and not only are they not fired, they're still in the union. Go figure.

A 360t makes around 1 and 3/4 horse stock, As for the topic I broke a saw a few weeks back. I lowered it down and raised another up to find that my 330 was replaced by a 70 buck homelite. I got the point, got another 330 the next day for a back up. I would say if I was a boss I would carry spares but only the crap from the pawn shop downtown.

In my neck of the woods when you go and start "persuading" employees to get and use their own equipment...

... it's akin to saying "Might as well get your start in being a future competitor of mine and get your own saw."

StihlRockin'

I'd buy them a hand saw and tell them if they want a power saw then THEY can go buy one and keep it repaired themselves.

I get paid by the HOUR. If you want me handsawing a removal, so be it, it's your nickel. Make that a dime as there will be a groundie sitting on his azz watching.

I suppose if the blade of the handsaw breaks, you'll send up a pocket knife???

very true

There are many professsions out there that you have to supply your own tools, this is not a new concept.
POS saw or not it makes that guy that keeps breaking his saw appreciate his equipment more, and there is a difference between a POS and an unsafe saw.

Not a suspension, if you don't have a saw for a guy to use to perform his duties because he broke his and are waiting for parts etc, what is he supposed to do stand around and get paid for it, now you just gave him a days wages with zero money coming in to show for it and you still have to make your payments.
Repairs might be write offs but delays/down time to make repairs is bad business, customers don't want to hear excuses about this and that, they want the work done and all this equipment and people and noise to be done and gone.

when i was a mechanic,i made a lot less than i do as a climber.i spent a lot more on tools as a mechanic.when i work for another company,i use my own gear.i don't like using other people's stuff and i don't like them using mine.

Back