you can tell a lot about a climber/tree person by..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avalontree

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
the amount of cigarettes they smoke before gettin in the tree?

what they bring for lunch?

how stiff and shiny their saddle is?

What have you all observed about how to tell what kind of guy you're about to climb/work/ with.

not sure

Im not a a pro
but not smoking probably means you have more lung capacity and dont need "breaks"
buying your lunch..i dunno...maybe you only stop once to eat? I cant afford to buy my lunch everyday.
plus I eat all day or else I'll end up mental

the same saddle? wow.
if it aint broke dont fix it, i guess.

I was just wondering about what kind of details go into tree climbers. Like most of my tree buddies all have tatoos...
and drink Budweiser
but there are some other dudes I know that are all into fancier stuff..one guy i know is into the finess of trees...the poetry, if you will.

It takes all kinds.
thanks for the response though
what does it say if climb in hiking boots? or if my buddy wears gloves?\
personally, i cant stand gloves...

How many truckloads of climbing gear he brings to the job.

How worn their friction device is?

The deep dark stories they tell once they get used to you. Some bad, bad, ones.

The worst was a really uneducated older guy (ok tard) who's living with mom (she take's care of his money too), has a girlfriend he calls with an area code of 900, first encounter with opposite was sister. Nick name was spanky. I'll stop there. Way bad stuff.

what does it say if climb in hiking boots?
you probably wear patchouli oil, eat granola, write peotry and smoke dope?:laugh:

or if my buddy wears gloves?\
personally, i cant stand gloves
he's pobably a sissy, afraid to break a nail. Have you see his hands ever, painted nails I bet?

avalontree said:
the amount of cigarettes they smoke before gettin in the tree?

what they bring for lunch?

how stiff and shiny their saddle is?

What have you all observed about how to tell what kind of guy you're about to climb/work/ with.
condition of equipment and what kinds

Smoking is generally a bad sign, rolling smokes eats time and takes the guys mind off other stuff, whether hes being a groundie or driving back from a job.
I read a while back that smokers cost more as other employees in general with lost time, inhibited fitness and general accidents. From experience I would say this is true in many cases.

I would hate to think of the number of times my dad nearly lost control of a vehicle while rolling. lighting or trying to find the cigarette lighter that had popped out red hot and rolled under the seats.

There gear wont often tell you much, but the state of the car they drive will let you know how well they keep machinery or how well they watch there $.

How they treet the trees;)

Hiking boots yes, patchouli no.

I don't ask much about personal habits or history, too distracting.

the only thing that really tells me anything about a climber is watching them work.

Here's an interesting one that tells you about people in general--not climbers. Watch how they empty their creamer packets or ketchup packets or other condiments. If they shake or flick the package, trying to get everything out, they are someone who is not wasteful.

coydog said:
the only thing that really tells me anything about a climber is watching them work.

I agree, you can have a guy pull up in a POS truck and he can do the best job in the world.. watching a climber is the only way to tell anything about them.
-watch them talk and present themselves with the customers

-smokers are less likely to pay attention... my guys dont smoke and im thankful for their undivided attention while on the ropes with my safety in their hands...
-mike

i remember reading in a psychology mag about stress tests... smokers with smokes, non smokers, and smokers without smokes... those that handled the stress best: smokers with the smokes... those that handled worst: smokers without...one thing i've learned is that just when you figure you've got people pegged by their habits, someone always suprises you... i've planted and spaced with heavy smokers... figured that they'd flag out... some do but others have kicked my ass... and some guys seem disorganized, shrubby, or drunks but once they start working.... i come from an island settled by finlanders and they're like that... work hard, play hard... show up hurtin but sweat'er out

work hard, play hard..no doubt

I love that motto.
There are so many kinds of climbers.
I worked at a fairly big company, like 25 climbers, and each one was so different.
the guys who love technical gear
the guys who never stop to eat
the guys who , somehow, evade death and destruction all of the time
I like the kind of climber who quietly tries to compete with you
bein cool about it
and then busts yer balls outta nowhere
and you get pissed
and then have to tear it up
and at the end
yer both psyched
cause it's all about the team

im gonna look for that all week

spacemule said:
Here's an interesting one that tells you about people in general--not climbers. Watch how they empty their creamer packets or ketchup packets or other condiments. If they shake or flick the package, trying to get everything out, they are someone who is not wasteful.

good call!
Im gonna conduct a study this week
I love those kind of tests.

patchouli oils smells like success

Frashdog: [/QUOTE]you probably wear patchouli oil, eat granola, write peotry and smoke dope?:laugh: [/QUOTE]

climbing is poetry
and I love to rub patchouli oil on yer mom.

My buddy's hands?
I dunno...probably want to hide the fact that he paints his nails or something.
he's kind of quiet
i think he's like enjoying the adrenaline or something
kid's a little out there
i think he ate too many psychedelics

Having a conversation with the climber will reveal the most. Never judge a book by its cover........And watching him work.

Glenn

Latest posts

Back