you can tell a lot about a climber/tree person by..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sterotypes are never a good thing. I know a drunk that can climb with the best of them and know other guys with good looks and get ups that let there gear rot and couldn't to anything technical.

I wear gloves. Why? Women like soft hands when you touch them.
I keep all my gear in tip-top shape and if it shows just some wear I get rid of it. Why? Because I am 22 and want to go home at the end of the day for years to come.
I smoke but am not lazy. I have my nose in a both about trees or rigging or a tree care magazine. Why? Smoking helps with stress but we all know the more you know and the better you do it the more valuable of an employee you are.

Many guys get stuck in habits that they were taught. If they don't try to learn and better themselves they just get stuck in the rot that they started in.

I smoke but can go all day without smoking but as soon as i come out of a tree or have a break along with my groundies, for some reason its the first thing i feel like doin.
my harness has frays more than half way on either side of the sliding d's but i cant bring my self to buy a new one but i just got a new rope!
Wont wear gloves but if wearing spikes or its bloody freezin or theres thorns!and i like to drink but not to much if i know the jobs going to be hard next day.
You can only tell if any ones realy good through there consistancy at doing good at all aspects of the job by working with them.

matty f said:
I smoke but can go all day without smoking but as soon as i come out of a tree or have a break along with my groundies, for some reason its the first thing i feel like doin.
my harness has frays more than half way on either side of the sliding d's but i cant bring my self to buy a new one but i just got a new rope!
Wont wear gloves but if wearing spikes or its bloody freezin or theres thorns!and i like to drink but not to much if i know the jobs going to be hard next day.
You can only tell if any ones realy good through there consistancy at doing good at all aspects of the job by working with them.

How'd you get that harness through LOLER, or don't you bother!

Bermie said:
How'd you get that harness through LOLER, or don't you bother!

This LOLER stuff i find quite hard to deal with,i reckon if you cant tell your self its dangerous you should not be in a tree at all.
Fortunatly i work for my self though i free lance for companies who do have to get stuff through LOLER.
About a year ago whilst workin for a company who where gettin tested when i asked the inspecter what he thought to it ,the LOLER inspector said bin it or to put a new sliding D on attached from the pole strop D's on the side,somthing i had already tryed but found it uncomftable underload and he still could not pass it as it was weak,he then went on to engrave every one elses Karibiners and thats not weakening them?

I think the chances of my harness failing now is nothing, evan if one side did fail i would still be attached but still time to replace but the amount of money ive spent on new equipment its gona have to wait a couple of months.

whatever it takes

whatever it takes to get it done fast and safe, right? Like ive said before, If you climb trees, especially if its your main gig, you gotta love it. Its like sushi or a riding a motorcyle or drinking black coffee...ya gotta like it or why the hell get into it?
but trees are a whole different movie.
If I belived in deja vu, then I would say that I felt it in trees all of them time. But I dont

Liek topping out a huge frackin white pine and you're butt hinging the top to the trunk, or using a pulley..whatever, and the god damn thing slams into the trunk and you riding a 70 foot bull.

Now thats living in the moment.
anyone watch that show about those crab fishermen in Alaska? It was a reality show and those dude are more tapped than anyone!

I tell my customers I already know what kind of job a climber is going to do just by what he is taking up with him in the tree. If you hire someone for fine pruning and he does not have a handsaw, he is NOT and CANNOT possibly do fine pruning with just a chainsaw. I carry a handsaw and hand pruners. A handsaw is too slow on 1/4 inch stuff.

climbers

My cheap flipout handsaw will blow through 1/4" stuff in one stroke! IMO you can tell some, but not much about a climber until you see him handle a climbing situation from start to finish..set up to clean up. I work with a gear-minimalist who can almost run up in and around a tree, just looks natural up there..you would never guess it looking at him.:monkey:

You work out of a car. You paint too, or else have a lot of yard lights under the tree to cover with those buckets.

gitrdun_climbr said:
My cheap flipout handsaw will blow through 1/4" stuff in one stroke!

I am talking about cutting 1/4 inch tip ends of branches, not where it is attached to the tree. A handsaw cannot cut that kind of stuff without your other hand to keep it from bending.

I don't smoke, but do throw in a chew every once in a while especially when I am on the stump grinder. I've been in the same saddle for 5 years. I have tried others but just cannot seem to make a switch. Most recently I bought the versitile from sherrill. The medium was too small in legs and but the waist was just right. I sent it back and got a large. Legs are good but cannot get the waist tight enough. I think you can tell alot about a person (tree worker/climber) based on how they conduct themselves within the crew and how they handle a problem when it arises. A leader leads by example. A person who takes pride in work will not be satisfied untill the customer is satisfied (unless it is one of those customers who will never be satisfied).

no I'm not a painter. I'm a lineman an i do tree work on the side.the buckets came from a construction site. yes most of my stuff is new.

Drop the tool box. youll need the space in the back of your truck to saw down the brush with your chainsaw.:rockn:

i know i have to much junk in my car. daddy got 5 to feed plus me. hard to find the money for a truck but if you find it in your heart to help send donations to water-heater at paypal.com

I think you need to get a truck.....

but yer prolly a diehard unless you stole them pics lol(i wish my gear looked that good)u can usually tell if they suck just by watchin them set up if they ask you to gas n oil there saw then they prolly suck becuzz you just met n they have no clue what u know how to do(lol)

Latest posts

Back