You Don't Need A Guide On Your Chainsaw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a master craftsman. We'll call him Rip-Saw. I think that is far easier that using a chainsaw mill and much faster because he is always noodling. Bet his bar, chain and sprockets last forever on that TQ monster just cruising right along. It always looks easy when you do it day in and day out. I'll bet the noodles get used for some other building process light composite bricks :)

It is eaisier than you may think

Use a pro ripping chain with rounded corner teeth, mounted on the longest widest bar you have.

The noodles make good livestock bedding. Sprayed with borates it makes a fair to middling insulation.

Back a few :msp_tongue: years back, one of my uncles would fill the oil tank with corn oil, noodle up a removable top 55 gallon barrel full of white oak, then close the barrel except for the small vent hole and prop that end up on concrete blocks. A fire built around the barrel turned the noodles into charcoal noodles, which were carefully packed into a large crock with a spigot in the bottom. Ten gallons of his liquid fire went in also, and in a couple of weeks was filtered out as aged whisky.:blob4:

Use a pro ripping chain with rounded corner teeth, mounted on the longest widest bar you have.

The noodles make good livestock bedding. Sprayed with borates it makes a fair to middling insulation.

Back a few :msp_tongue: years back, one of my uncles would fill the oil tank with corn oil, noodle up a removable top 55 gallon barrel full of white oak, then close the barrel except for the small vent hole and prop that end up on concrete blocks. A fire built around the barrel turned the noodles into charcoal noodles, which were carefully packed into a large crock with a spigot in the bottom. Ten gallons of his liquid fire went in also, and in a couple of weeks was filtered out as aged whisky.:blob4:

Having a bad back sucks but, I like your uncles idea of using those noddles for a much better purpose :hmm3grin2orange: I need a drink... might cut some white oak noddles to charcoal:bowdown::cool2: up this weekend

Thanks for posting that, it looks like it might be fun to try.

I'm thinking he makes his first cut in the forward direction since that allows him to sight the bar over the cut kerf making it 'easier' to keep the cut straight. Also by holding the saw at the very back he lets gravity carry the saw's weight straight down so it is 'easier' to get a straight vertical cut. Not sure how he does the very first cut on the rounded surface of the log though. I am thinking of snapping a chalk line, he probably just uses skill.

Might be an interesting technique to use when needing to trim a wide log, cut a cracked pith out of a slab, even to make a deeper vertical cut to quarter a log. Perhaps this signals the end of the Beam Machine?!!

Dan

Just try it!

The saw goes fairly straight with little guidance. You just nibble along, then pull back and nibble some more. Use rip filed chain. Crosscut chains will grab the sides worse than they do with a mill.

I usually cut gun stock blanks from stump wood or crotches, seldom more than one blank--then turn for a different angle, usually no more than two blanks per stump. They aren't long enough to make it worthwhile to set up a chainsaw mill and the chance of hitting rock is to great to use a band mill.

It will never replace mills, but if you need to cut a few boards and don't have a mill, or a few gun stock blanks, it works fairly well.

Back