You Guys Looking At New Bandmills,

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawyer Rob

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Did you know Norwood has two new manual bandmills coming out? The bigger one will be out in a few weeks or so, and has a LOT of new features. You can see a pict of it on their website.

Anyway, it will be bigger and stiffer than the LM2000, with new features, like a new auto manual clutch, and a whole new blade guide system, also a 10hp 1ph electric motor will be available to power it.

It looks like it will be a pretty cool new design mill to me, with lots of new features.

Rob

Did you know Norwood has two new manual bandmills coming out? The bigger one will be out in a few weeks or so, and has a LOT of new features. You can see a pict of it on their website.

Anyway, it will be bigger and stiffer than the LM2000, with new features, like a new auto manual clutch, and a whole new blade guide system, also a 10hp 1ph electric motor will be available to power it.

It looks like it will be a pretty cool new design mill to me, with lots of new features.

Rob

Yeah looks cool, I called them and it is about $6,500 with the promo discount of $500 plus shipping. That puts the specs around the same as the TK1220 but the price is more by about $700. I don't know if it is worth that much more.

Here is my current bandmill comparison chart. Give me your opinions on my opinion.

attachment.php

Yeah looks cool, I called them and it is about $6,500 with the promo discount of $500 plus shipping. That puts the specs around the same as the TK1220 but the price is more by about $700. I don't know if it is worth that much more.

Here is my current bandmill comparison chart. Give me your opinions on my opinion.

I didn't like the TK i ran. Never ran an Oscar... I have run several different LT15's in different variations, and the latest one would be my second choise after the LM2000.

From what i know of the MX, i'm betting it will blow away the 2000, so there ya go... The guides alone are all new, i've seen them. They are something completely new, and VERY quiet. Water will not affect them either, they should last a LONG time.

I'm betting the new MX34 will put a lot of LM2000's on the used market, and i can't think of a better way to get into bandmilling, that buying one of them!

Rob

See that is my problem. I have only run a Lucus slaber, Alaskan and a LT 70. My opinion on all these mills is based on specs and what I see on the web. The width of cut is so big for me b/c I usually want to cut wide.

So what was it that you did not like about the TK and what did you like about the LM2000?

Then buy a slabber, as a bandmill is best used for grade sawing, where quality of lumber and recovery are most important. Any bandmill that will cut out a 24" wide board, is plenty wide.

BTW, i was looking over your number rateing system... The MX34 saws a longer log, has more hp, and doesn't have that dreaded rope or cable, yet you didn't give it extra points for those? Also, Norwoods warr. in second to noone.

Rob

See that is my problem. I have only run a Lucus slaber, Alaskan and a LT 70. My opinion on all these mills is based on specs and what I see on the web. The width of cut is so big for me b/c I usually want to cut wide.

So what was it that you did not like about the TK and what did you like about the LM2000?

I like the Norwoods Briggs and Stratton Vangaurd...with 23 horses...vs the TK 29" cut with 15hp??? No thanks.

Last edited:
Not that it matters as the Oscar already rated low, but I would not give it extra points for having a 36” wide cut. 24”-26” is standard because that is what the blades can handle with out flexing. In order to go wider a much more sophisticated guide system would be needed, and the Oscar has a light duty guide system.

Find one of each that you can take a good look at, as the numbers do not show the quality of design and workmanship.

Not that it matters as the Oscar already rated low, but I would not give it extra points for having a 36” wide cut. 24”-26” is standard because that is what the blades can handle with out flexing. In order to go wider a much more sophisticated guide system would be needed, and the Oscar has a light duty guide system.

Find one of each that you can take a good look at, as the numbers do not show the quality of design and workmanship.

Very true.

To be honest, I run a LM2000 5-7 days a week with the Honda 20hp on it, and I see features on my LM2000 that the new Norwood mill has IMHO taken a step backwards on. My next mill will probably be a Woodmizer (or similar). It looks to me like Norwood is trying to add more splash and dash to their mills for a greater curb appeal, without addressing some seriously frustrating issues for the commercial sawyer. Great for the homeowner, but they need to either get into the commercial market or get out of it, this fence sitting and advertising a homeowner quality mill as a commercial product is bothersome. Ok, I've got my Nomex suit on, flame away, that's just my honest take of the matter at hand.

Aint nothing wrong with expressing your opinion about your mill. I have a big Orange mill and I feel that there customer service in both Indy and Portland has been less then admirable when I brought up some serious design flaws in the proto type mill that I have.
I do not foresee my next mill being Orange. When you use a mill and maintain it the way it should be you will find its week points.

To be honest, I run a LM2000 5-7 days a week with the Honda 20hp on it, and I see features on my LM2000 that the new Norwood mill has IMHO taken a step backwards on. My next mill will probably be a Woodmizer (or similar). It looks to me like Norwood is trying to add more splash and dash to their mills for a greater curb appeal, without addressing some seriously frustrating issues for the commercial sawyer. Great for the homeowner, but they need to either get into the commercial market or get out of it, this fence sitting and advertising a homeowner quality mill as a commercial product is bothersome. Ok, I've got my Nomex suit on, flame away, that's just my honest take of the matter at hand.

I'm not sure anyone can make firm statemens about the new mill, "without" running one for more than a few cuts, But what do you feel they went backwards on?

Rob

So just out of curiosity how many bf can you saw on average in an 8 hour day and in what kind of wood is that?
I handle almost entirly hardwoods. I have a full time job and 3 young kids so my time is very valuble. With that said I have spent about $13,000 in the last 2 years paying others to mill for me so I can't afford to keep that up. I now have some land so getting a mill is finally an option.

Hey Coalsmoke, I am heading up to visit my parents in Chilliwack for about a week in Christmas. Any chance I could come up and help you saw for a couple hours and exerience the mill? You could look at it like free labor. let me know we will be up there from the 23rd to 27th.

I'm not sure anyone can make firm statemens about the new mill, "without" running one for more than a few cuts, But what do you feel they went backwards on?

Rob

Just from what I have seen. I have doubts about the skinny crossbunks not denting the bigger cants..as is on the new mill, it will dent...and the crossbunks possibly bending when a bigger log is shoved toward one.

It would be nice to see Norwood step up to a hydraulic mill. Loader/turner and feed as well as their dogging system.

Most here know I really like my LM2000, but I want a few more bells and whistles. Not gimmicks.

I have talked with several owners and most agree about a bigger hydraulic offering from Norwood. It is time for it.

What I do like about the new mill is the clutch/water lube/ engine control in one place. And best of all is their new sandwich blade guide. I have been looking into a pair made by Cooks sawmill mfg.

I do want their new planer that fits on the mill. That would be a huge benefit producing timbers. For those that don't want the rough finish.

Another one I would like from Norwood...is a re-saw attachment. One that has rollers pressing down on the board before and just after the cutting blade.

The other mills I would consider now are Cooks and LogMaster.

Norwood offers one hell of a great product.....but..

Just my rants and thoughts...

Kevin

So just out of curiosity how many bf can you saw on average in an 8 hour day and in what kind of wood is that?
I handle almost entirly hardwoods. I have a full time job and 3 young kids so my time is very valuble. With that said I have spent about $13,000 in the last 2 years paying others to mill for me so I can't afford to keep that up. I now have some land so getting a mill is finally an option.

Hey Coalsmoke, I am heading up to visit my parents in Chilliwack for about a week in Christmas. Any chance I could come up and help you saw for a couple hours and exerience the mill? You could look at it like free labor. let me know we will be up there from the 23rd to 27th.

Well, when cutting 2x6 for reference, the mill itself is sawing in the 200 - 250 bd/ft an hour range mainly fir and cedar. However, my daily operations, which include pulling 40' logs out of the log deck, cutting to length, loading on the mill, sawing, off-bearing lumber and stacking on outgoing rack, averages out at 100 - 120 bdft / hour, depending on the species. Fir and spruce are a bit slower than cedar, especially if its high grade cedar.

You're welcome to visit. I'm somewhat particular about safety, so make sure you have medical insurance just in case something were to happen. Being a 1 person sawyer, I don't have a floating policy to cover employees. I'll show you all I can show in a couple of hours. At least you'll be able to get a good idea of its strengths and weaknesses.

There is an email link on this page:
http://www.coalsmoke.com/Coalsmokes/Info.html

Send me an email and I'll send you my phone number, etc.

Latest posts

Back