new member here.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schreib69

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,
I just joined. . . was looking for info on the big interweb regarding Stihl typical compression, found it HERE -- about 140psi.
Since I am writing I might as well ask for some quick help. I am a hobby farm owner and have cut down hundreds of trees, mostly oak; Fill a large woodshed every spring and the dang red Oaks are dying right and left from Oak Wilt. I see lots more work ahead. I am 71 but pretty able. . . I have a smaller sawmill too.

I have a 362C with no Oil adjust underneath, so, figure that means it is a NON-Pro 362? Anyway, I just went through the oil pump system tear down to get her oiling again; now working OK. This got me thinking about buying a bigger one, like the 441. It appears the 441 is hardly heavier at all but has higher HP and some nice feature upgrades over the 362. . . I can buy one for $700 to $1200 on eBay. . . NEW is like $1300? I have no problems buying used as long as I can feel confident compression is OK and generally appears not to have been beat on. . .

Wondering what others say about this idea? Is 441 THAT much better? Would you do it in a heart beat if it was less than. . . ??$$$ ?? Thanks!

Welcome...
441 is a nice saw and a significant power advantage. I worked a little on a couple of them and thought they were significantly harder to work on in comparison to the previous generation stihls . Worked with them and they are a bit heavier and bulkier then their predecessors 70cc the 044-ms440 series which i prefer for their lighter weight handling and ease of maintnence but the ms441 is a smoother and a bit more power and if i was bucking logs all day i would prefer doing it with the 441.

I thought all 362's had auto chain oiling.
Also was thinking for the money u mentioned buying the 441 for , I saw a new Makita 7900 series I believe
Powerhead for 8 hundred some thing. With an adapter it could be fitted with Stihl bars. Size up from the 441, it would be anpther significant step up in power. Only disadvantage i can think , outside bars, chain and sprocket parts are not as easy to get in a short time usually. Not near the dealer support.
If your going used, prefering stihl most models from 044 to ms660 that have a chain break are comfortable for the appropriate applications. If you have a fair amount of trees over 20in an 064-ms660 make for fast work out of them and work great noodling them into smaller hand able blocks.

Further looking reveals most 441's are over $1000 and virtually unavailable new. I found a nicer 362 on Ebay than mine with the adjustable oiling. I am pretty ignorant of the fine diffs between the "C", "CM" models of Stihl line and should get that understanding before buying. I read a review of the 441 from around 2007 and it sure sounded good. Most trees are under 24" I cut. I have a track loader if they get much bigger-- helps direct fall with a cable. I will likely not go with another brand; used to working on my two Stihls-- other is an 025C. now I'm leaning towards a 441 even more. . .

Thanks for your insight. I appreciate that!

I see your little kitten on your image. Cute little bugger. I had never had cats before we moved to the country five yrs ago and took on a couple of kittens to get my wife instant companionship. Heck, I like them as much as my dogs(all gone now)! I am sitting on the porch right now with one at my feet and the other right next to me. The one next to me sat on the golf cart earlier this morning and stays there. We checked on a trap at the river-- no beaver. A coon beat him into the trap.

Welcome to AS Sir.

While the 441 is by far one of the smoothest 70cc saws(so is the husky 576), I personally wouldn't buy one unless it was a heck of a deal. As brushwacker said, they are not an easy saw to work on. Parts availability is difficult as they were the beginning of the computer carbs, so they come in standard carb models and computer carb models, because of this many parts are not compatible.
@brad ruch has worked on a few, maybe he can give some input.
Don't rush in, take your time and see if there are other members in your area who have 70cc saws you can give a try to see if you really like them. @svk do you know anyone up his way, well I guess down from you lol. I know @Philbert is not far, but I don't know that he has any 70cc saws, but he knows a lot of people and may be able to help.

Thanks for the welcome and further insight! I will take my time, not in a hurry. 2 or 3 months before cutting season yet. I am thinking a low mileage 441 going for $700 or so would be a heck of a deal. . . ?? What would you think on that?
Regardless, I don't like the idea of buying the beginning of a model line. . . I just had an offer from a seller on Ebay for a model 462 model for $1000-- he was asking $1200. I just don't want to drop that much more.

Is there any "reality" in modifying Stihl saws for higher HP? . . . on the order of doing so to make my older 362 a hot runner?!

Thanks for the welcome and further insight! I will take my time, not in a hurry. 2 or 3 months before cutting season yet. I am thinking a low mileage 441 going for $700 or so would be a heck of a deal. . . ?? What would you think on that?
Regardless, I don't like the idea of buying the beginning of a model line. . . I just had an offer from a seller on Ebay for a model 462 model for $1000-- he was asking $1200. I just don't want to drop that much more.

Is there any "reality" in modifying Stihl saws for higher HP? . . . on the order of doing so to make my older 362 a hot runner?!
I don't think a 441 for 700 is a great deal, it's an older saw, with some difficulty getting parts if needed.
The 441 was the beginning of the mtronic saws, so to me that would more be the one to avoid if concerned with the "new" tech. But they are great runners.
1k isn't bad on a new 462, but if it was used I'd expect it to be nearly new with a bar and chain. The 462 has been out for some time now, they have already made updates to them for durability. A 462 isn't far off from a 441 as far as being smooth goes, but they have more power and are substantially lighter. Rather than hopping up the ole 362, you could put that on craigslist for 400 and then just buy a 462, it weighs about the same, crazy light for a 70cc saw.
The 462 was released here in 2018 iirc, so by no means a new saw. The picture below was me holding one of the first 462's in the country, thanks to a buddy of mine who had it shipped from Europe( thanks @Armbru84 :cheers:). Pretty sure I can't do that with that much easy with any other 70cc saw, then again I'm 4yrs older now :laugh:.
Edit, forgot the specs for the 362, look at the weight/hp closely.

Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 9.54.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 9.43.51 AM.png

Older so the price has gone up a bit, and the weight may have slightly too.

Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 9.44.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 9.46.18 AM.png

I don't think a 441 for 700 is a great deal, it's an older saw, with some difficulty getting parts if needed.
The 441 was the beginning of the mtronic saws, so to me that would more be the one to avoid if concerned with the "new" tech. But they are great runners.
1k isn't bad on a new 462, but if it was used I'd expect it to be nearly new with a bar and chain. The 462 has been out for some time now, they have already made updates to them for durability. A 462 isn't far off from a 441 as far as being smooth goes, but they have more power and are substantially lighter. Rather than hopping up the ole 362, you could put that on craigslist for 400 and then just buy a 462, it weighs about the same, crazy light for a 70cc saw.
The 462 was released here in 2018 iirc, so by no means a new saw. The picture below was me holding one of the first 462's in the country, thanks to a buddy of mine who had it shipped from Europe( thanks @Armbru84 :cheers:). Pretty sure I can't do that with that much easy with any other 70cc saw, then again I'm 4yrs older now :laugh:.
Edit, forgot the specs for the 362, look at the weight/hp closely.

View attachment 1013496

View attachment 1013493

Older so the price has gone up a bit, and the weight may have slightly too.

View attachment 1013494

View attachment 1013495
Wow, interesting photo! I don't think I can do that with my 362! Not I am really thinking about the 462 but am also figuring I won't get a much better deal than the $1000. . . I will keep watching regardless. By the way, the one on Ebay looks to be in very good shape, 28" bar and bigger than I need, I have been more than happy with my 362's 20"; upgrading to 25" would be . . . a bit bigger than I could normally use. I am considering making the Ebay offer back at $850. . . ??! Doubt he will go for it, pretty low-ball-- but "a DEAL!"

Wow, interesting photo! I don't think I can do that with my 362! Not I am really thinking about the 462 but am also figuring I won't get a much better deal than the $1000. . . I will keep watching regardless. By the way, the one on Ebay looks to be in very good shape, 28" bar and bigger than I need, I have been more than happy with my 362's 20"; upgrading to 25" would be . . . a bit bigger than I could normally use. I am considering making the Ebay offer back at $850. . . ??! Doubt he will go for it, pretty low-ball-- but "a DEAL!"
Try 850 without the bar.
Then sell the 362, why keep it. Then snag up a 261 since you like the stihls. The 261 is rated at 4hp, the 362 is just 4.6hp lol.

Before seeing your response I sent an offer for $850 without excluding the bar. He is not responding; probably feels I offered way to low. . . If no response, I will try again excluding it.
I have not checked out the 261, is that something closer to my old 025?

The 025 was a farm ranch saw, so plastic case, the 261 is a pro saw with a magnesium case. Similar in weight, but quite a bit more power and some nice added features such as; more ergonomic top handle angle, better filtration, better fuel efficiency, captured bar nuts, return to run master switch.
You should get your hands on as many as you can to see what you think will work the best for you.
If you get the 462 that would be nice, who knows maybe he will decide to sell it for 900 with the bar, and you can snag it for 850 without. Good luck.

I thought all 362's had auto chain oiling.
Also was thinking for the money u mentioned buying the 441 for , I saw a new Makita 7900 series I believe
Powerhead for 8 hundred some thing. With an adapter it could be fitted with Stihl bars. Size up from the 441, it would be anpther significant step up in power. Only disadvantage i can think , outside bars, chain and sprocket parts are not as easy to get in a short time usually. Not near the dealer support.
If your going used, prefering stihl most models from 044 to ms660 that have a chain break are comfortable for the appropriate applications. If you have a fair amount of trees over 20in an 064-ms660 make for fast work out of them and work great noodling them into smaller hand able blocks.

Batty and Socks on sentry duty.

Attachments

• IMG_4395.jpg
    IMG_4395.jpg
    683.7 KB · Views: 0
The 025 was a farm ranch saw, so plastic case, the 261 is a pro saw with a magnesium case. Similar in weight, but quite a bit more power and some nice added features such as; more ergonomic top handle angle, better filtration, better fuel efficiency, captured bar nuts, return to run master switch.
You should get your hands on as many as you can to see what you think will work the best for you.
If you get the 462 that would be nice, who knows maybe he will decide to sell it for 900 with the bar, and you can snag it for 850 without. Good luck.
I got it as is, with the 28" chain / bar for. . . wait for it. . . $850. I am pumped. Specially after it appears my 362C just . . . what is the word for it. . . FLAT-lined.

Started up great, first pull, cut box elder like a banshee on the first 10" cross cut . . . 2nd cut half way through it just bogged down terribly, lightly smoking, blue, from side between chain and cylinder . . . does NOT appear to come from muffler. My first thought was confusion and thinking my fuel mix was high. But no chance there.

I have never had such a thing happen. Ideas on source?

Symptoms: Now, cannot even get past idle much less accelerate, if warm blows blue smoke out the side near cylinder fins. Barely runs but it starts just fine.

Checked:
-- pulled plug and replaced, no effect
-- pulled gas filter and left it open, returned gas and no effect
-- shot carb inlet with starting fluid-- caused immediate stop; took a few pulls and it did restart but, as before testing start, hardly would idle
-- no reason to believe carb is bad/ plugged, good gas.
-- replaced gas with TRU Fuel; once the TF got into carb it STOPPED the engine. I have seen a video recentlhy indicating this stuff knocks down the RPM of a good engine by 600 RPM on the top end.

Sweet, congrats.
That 462 is gonna blow you away with how light it is for a 70cc saw.

Sorry about the trouble with the 362. I wouldn't be too concerned, if it was running fine the last time you ran it, it's probably a fuel issue.
Is your 362 a standard carb or the mtronic version, and what yr(it should say the DOM on the rear handle/tank assembly.
Be sure you do not use starting fluid only pre-mixed fuel, starting fluid will wash the oil off the internal parts.
Do you have spark?
Is trufuel what you normally run, if not, you've added another variable. What do you mean it stopped the engine?
Put a little mix into a small container and dump it into the saw and see what happens.

^Dang enabler.:laugh: @schreib69. Chipper1 knows his saws. Sounds like you got a good deal on the 462. I have one and it's a great saw. After you run it you'll wonder how you ever got by with the 362. Good luck with the new saw. Oh and welcome to AS.

^Dang enabler.:laugh: @schreib69. Chipper1 knows his saws. Sounds like you got a good deal on the 462. I have one and it's a great saw. After you run it you'll wonder how you ever got by with the 362. Good luck with the new saw. Oh and welcome to AS.
He was already gonna buy something, I just tried to help direct the purchase a little. Wasn't like I was bidding on it for him lol :happy: .

I have the 462/261 combination myself. With a 260Pro thrown in as well. I got my 462 when they were still pretty new to the market for 1,000. So, if the one you got for 850.00 is nice and clean, you god a fair deal.

The 261 is a super light saw, that I use the majority of the time. I don't think you'd regret buying one as a second saw.

@chipper1, this is my first time seeing a picture of you. I didn't realize that you were Terry Bradshaw's brother LOL!!!

I have the 462/261 combination myself. With a 260Pro thrown in as well. I got my 462 when they were still pretty new to the market for 1,000. So, if the one you got for 850.00 is nice and clean, you god a fair deal.

The 261 is a super light saw, that I use the majority of the time. I don't think you'd regret buying one as a second saw.

@chipper1, this is my first time seeing a picture of you. I didn't realize that you were Terry Bradshaw's brother LOL!!!
They are definitely related. Betting he has Steelers stuff hidden away in his attic somewhere 😉

Back