You guys that burn hedge...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbooga

cords of mystic memory
Reaction score
...stop wasting all that tonally rich wood prized by luthiers.

Been playing for a long time but never knew osage orange was a desirable species.

Som pics nabbed from a guitar forum I pop in on occasionally.

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg

IMG_1103.jpg

A couple of finished products:

354166788.jpg

I have seen many of nice bows made from hedge...If I had the patience to build one I would...Maybe some day...

Wow! That sure is purdy.

When I cut firewood, I often think that there must be a craftsman nearby who wants to whack me in the head for burning a potential work of art.

Over on the other side of the state from you in Nazareth is one of the world's most highly regarded makers of acoustic guitars. So if you come acrosst any Adirondack spruce, give CF Martin a call.

Man, those gui tars would look great burning in my Defiant ! :cheers:

That would be a VERY expensive fire. The 2009 catalog for Martin guitars.

http://www.martinguitar.com/catalog/PDF/MartinPriceList.pdf

(Skip over the first few pages. The $50,000 figures are for limited edition custom-built guitars - p. 5 is where you'll find prices for models you'll find at the local guitar shop.)

I should take some pictures of the home made bow a friend of my father's made for me out of Osage orange my father cut from the old homestead.

OK, so it is not a $10,000 Martin, but it is a Martin...The cool part of it is when I ordered it, I ordered just them plain acoustic and the sent me the electric/acoustic...

attachment.php

attachment.php

neat ...my father has a traditional archery shop and makes alot of english longbows out of osage ,makes a great bow too!

And if it is anything like a chainsaw you couldn't just have one

My late father had a severe case of GAD - that'd be Guitar Acquisition Disorder. Or more specificlly AGAD - Acoustic Guitar Acqu. Dis. (I reckon if you collect Gibson Les Pauls and Gretsch hollow bodies and Fender Strats, you've got EGAD - electric GAD.

When he passed, I inhereted the collection. For me, an instrument is a deeply personal relationship and I've only bonded with a couple. The remainder will be sold then my son graduates to fund college/trade school. (The plan is to teach him to play and appreciate the instrument so he has a firm appreciation of what's being sold for his benefit.)

BTW - where's my friend Wood Doctor? He's usually on these threads like a monkey on a football. (Maybe I should have put a reference to cabinetmaking with ash in the subject line, or some reference to cottonwood smelling like poopies) :laugh:

I have a case of gad then. I have 14 guitars, and love to play as also to collect. What I wouldn't give to have one of those guitars you posted.

I have a case of gad then. I have 14 guitars, and love to play as also to collect. What I wouldn't give to have one of those guitars you posted.

Funny you mention that. The pics are of the McKnight Guitar workshop in Morral, O.

Not sure where in the state you're at, but probably not too far.

BTW, I gotta ask - of the 14, which is your fave? (Mine's a 1980s Guild D50nt - spruce top, mahogany body. The Gibson J-200's a close runner up. The Martins are too pretty to play :) )

My favorite acoustic is my Ibanez aef20. Its got fishman electronics, mother of pearl inlay, a cutaway and an arched back. Its red, and its my baby. I'm more of a metalhead, and my favorite electric is my late 90's BC Rich Warlock NJ Series. Its all black with white corners. Someday I would like to have a double neck, and a gibson les paul. I do love my old 12 string yamaha acoustic. Its hard to name a favorite when you have so many!

My favorite acoustic is my Ibanez aef20. Its got fishman electronics, mother of pearl inlay, a cutaway and an arched back. Its red, and its my baby. I'm more of a metalhead, and my favorite electric is my late 90's BC Rich Warlock NJ Series. Its all black with white corners. Someday I would like to have a double neck, and a gibson les paul. I do love my old 12 string yamaha acoustic. Its hard to name a favorite when you have so many!

Ibenz probably has a mahogany body and a spruce top. Nylon strings on that model, right?

Though I still listen to Metallica and Maiden on occasion, in general I can't abide musicians and have never gotten along with others when I've been in bands. So I learned to finger pick. Allows me to play a whole composition without having to deal with other pesky musicians.

Mostly I play ragtime blues and arrangements of Beatles and other pop tunes (just did an arrangement for Eleanor Rigby and Somewhere over the Rainbow).

Lately though, I've been on a Bach tear. Just relearned his Bourree and am learning his Minuet in G.

Good to know there's some other git-fiddlers out there!:cheers:

Its got steel strings. I play some croce, and beatles. I love to fingerpick, but I also can fingerpick and hold a pick at the same time. Playing guitar is different than listening to music. I would never listen to croce, but the guitar is fun, and it reminds me of my dad. They like to hear me play. I've always been musically inclined, just can't sing.

Latest posts

Back