You know when you are in logger land when...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php

Chainsaws, A History. David Lee, 2006...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1550173804/smarterbooks-20

Great book btw, I love those pics in it. :blob2:

HTML:
I already ripped out the homey section and hung them in the outhouse.
Andy, shames on ya !! :laugh: :laugh:

Last edited:
My friend that lives in Northbend Ore...

I've been there :)

I gotta go up that aways again to visit...Yeah,,pack my 440 up with me and see what it's really like to cut some big wood!!!Wonder if I could bring it with me on the plane as carry on??? LOL!!
She worked at a hospital in Reedsport,,and you can always tell when logging season was in,,,,she was always on call and her pager was always going off...

You haven't LIVED until you visit the Brooklyn Tavern, down below Aberdeen, and leave without losing a few teeth. Those folks still don't seem to take too kindly to outsiders. But I knew about a lot of that area's heritage that is not common knowledge. What really saved my butt though, was the lengthy conversation I had with the roughest one of the bunch, about none other than J. P. Patches. It was a sight to see. I mentioned J. P., and this guy's face lit right up. I bought a round of beer, and stayed about a half hour. I didn't want to over stay my welcome.

So... it's alright, we're all strangers here. You can tell us.... Are there any other official Patches Pals besides me here?

Don't tell me I have to explain who the GREAT J. P. Patches is...... and yes, he's still alive last I heard.

Last edited:
I live 15 minutes from that very store!

Well, according to Mapquest, I'm only 1,110 miles from that store...so there! Actually, you know you're in the PNW when you look at the Craigslist ads and there's more saws listed in 1 day than I get in a year here.:cry:

Sometimes I go to the Portland and Seattle listings and pick out saws pretending that I live there.:biggrinbounce2:

You haven't LIVED until you visit the Brooklyn Tavern, down below Aberdeen, and leave without losing a few teeth. Those folks still don't seem to take too kindly to outsiders. But I knew about a lot of that area's heritage that is not common knowledge. What really saved my butt though, was the lengthy conversation I had with the roughest one of the bunch, about none other than J. P. Patches. It was a sight to see. I mentioned J. P., and this guy's face lit right up. I bought a round of beer, and stayed about a half hour. I didn't want to over stay my welcome.

So... it's alright, we're all strangers here. You can tell us.... Are there any other official Patches Pals besides me here?

Don't tell me I have to explain who the GREAT J. P. Patches is...... and yes, he's still alive last I heard.

\\

Who is J.P??

I have heard many a story involving Brooklyn. I have a lot of friends down in Pacific County.

I have heard many a story involving Brooklyn. I have a lot of friends down in Pacific County.

Those folks are proud of their heritage. Many of their ancestors worked for the logging outfit whose headquarters was right across the road from the tavern. In fact, if you look closely in the background of an old pic of that logging company's complex, you can see the old tavern across the main road. Anybody know the name of said logging outfit?

IIRC, the original tavern burned down in 1995, shortly after my father and I visited that area. Mr, Ray Damitio, the owner, built the new tavern in the place of the old one, and made the inside as close possible to how the original tavern was. There are several old 2-man chain saws hanging behind the bar, plus some old crosscut saws and other logging relics. Of course, they have a pot belly stove and a pool table. Whoever buys a round of beer gets the honor of 'ringing the bell'. The 'bell' is an old bell off a steam lokie. But what really makes the Brooklyn Tavern a memorable place, is 'Snoose Creek'. Said creek is in fact a stream of creek water diverted to run through the tavern, and directly across the front of the bar in a trough. I'll give the outsiders three guesses what the purpose is that 'Snoose Creek' serves.....

Brother Ray (Ramnod) has the book, lots of great pictures and interesting history.

Could you imagine draggin around one of the electric or hydraulic saws with the cables/hoses?

Mark

Could you imagine spending day after day doing it the 'old way' back then, pulling a misery whip? I'll bet those gents were happy to wrestle those contraptions around. But from what I heard, most of those 'power saws' required a LOT of maintenance.

UUHHH, Snooze Creek won't let you snooze? I could use that sometimes.

Uh... no.

'Snoose' is a local nickname for snuff, and usually it's Copenhagen. Because of the fire danger in the woods in the summer, you can't smoke there. So they do snoose instead. Many of the loggers out that way chewed it year round, and it showed in their smile.

'Snoose Creek' flowed through a trough in the floor, right in front of the bar stools. It served the same purpose as a spitoon, but with more class.

I read somewhere...

The cooks had to find a way to feed the old loggers 9,000 calories per day to keep the cross cut saws and axes going.

I think I could consume the 9,000 calories, just not sure I could pull the saw or swing the axe the way they could, no wait, I am sure I could not.

Last week when I was vacationing/fishing/buying some more old saws I was having waffles with sausage gravy and syrup for breakfast. Guess I could have worked a few minutes in the morning anyway.

Mark

Back