You know you heat with wood when.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know you heat with wood when;

You finally admit to yourself your father in law can make you look like a fool when he has a single bit ax and you have a maul and he splits twice as much, takes breaks and tells your wife of 30 years, that boy will never learn will he.

You walk into your small engine shop after a day of cutting and the people are five deep at the counter. You can sell three MS250's, couple Echos and two Toro snow blowers for the owner while just BSing with the folks waiting in line.

You stop by the Gas & Shop for coffee and the yuppies in the BMW pay $19.99 for ten little sticks of wood for their fireplace. As they drive away, you just smile.

You start stacking chainsaws on the hood of your 1968 Camaro.

You move the 1968 camaro to the barn so you can have room for more chainsaws and the splitter in the garage.

A good friend from Dike Iowa stops by and you talk McCullochs for five hours. Before he leaves you give him a complete model 47.

Last but not least, your wifes maiden name has Wood in it.

Have a great night, 19 pages of laughing my :censored: off.

You walk into your small engine shop after a day of cutting and the people are five deep at the counter. You can sell three MS250's, couple Echos and two Toro snow blowers for the owner while just BSing with the folks waiting in line.

I resemble that remark. The line was only 3 deep and I only talked one guy into buying a new Stihl to replace his Wild Thing. :chainsaw:

You know you heat with wood when all you want to do is cut wood in your spare time.

You photograph pics of your wood pile with your dog in the pic.

That sort of thing happens to me all the time and not just at small engine shops. I don't mind helping someone figure out what they need. So, it's not a bad thing, but amusing at times.

My wife and I must look very friendly or something because random people start talking to us or start asking questions all the time. We call it the "phenomenon". :confused:

You start stacking chainsaws on the hood of your 1968 Camaro.

You move the 1968 camaro to the barn so you can have room for more chainsaws and the splitter in the garage.

:msp_angry::msp_unsure: Sounds to me like you don't love it so your car should go to a new home.. I don't see it in the for sale listings.. so what gives.. :dizzy: 68 Camero... It should be treated better then that.. Sorry.. but come on.. I hope your just joken.. To top it all off i'm not a chevy guy (love my cudas)...

people stop by the house during the middle of July and ask what you are smoking in the little shed(OWB). You then you spend the next hour explaining all the advantages of heating your domestic water and heating the house using wood.

It has been over a year since the gas line has even been hooked up to the furnace, because, why bother, I have wood cut!

The breaker to the water heater has never been turned on, since it is just a storage tank anyway.

You know you heat with wood when...

...You stop by the Gas & Shop for coffee and the yuppies in the BMW pay $19.99 for ten little sticks of wood for their fireplace. As they drive away, you just smile.

...you see those little bundles of 4 or 5 splits at the (in our area) Cumberland Farms and start to see $$$ flash before your eyes... Hmmmm. Think of all the $$$ we could make! yet you'd never have the heart to rob those poor yuppies like that! How CAN those people sleep at night?

Have a great night, 19 pages of laughing my :censored: off.

Make it 20 and counting!

Tarps??

You know you heat with wood when you have a pile that looks like this
and you feel a special relationship with every piece of wood in it...
because with every load put onto it, it's covered with
another tarp...and then another and then another.

When you get around to stacking it,
you have to rescue the tarps by moving the pieces
one at a time from corner to corner to corner.

When you go to to load the stove, and you say to the wood, "I remember you!!"
I did this this afternoon. Was loading the wheelbarrow with a load when recognized a piece of wood I had split last spring.

... the wife is worried that a few snowflakes will dampen the firewood in the woodpile and asks you to bring in more logs so that SHE can dry them out a little before loading them into the stove. :msp_tongue:

Riding around today with my structural engineer, (him driving) looked at almost 1 million dollars worth of work for the springtime, spotted a 5inch log about 4 feet long on the roadside and wished I was in my pick-up by myself so I could stop and snag that puppy... still thinking about it for some reason:smile2:

Kids play king of the mountain on your wood pile cause it is the the biggest hill in the neighborhood, your wife is sewing your pants again cause you just couldn't leave that last 300 pound round of oak that you didn't have time to split on the side of the road, but had just enough time to sumo deadlift it into the back of your truck. Your truck bed touches the cab of your truck, when same 300 pound round, you didn't think would move, picks up speed like the US Bobsled Team on your bedliner when the jerk in front of slams his brakes on for no reason. Kids look like old time wrestler "Polish Power" Ivan Putski from carring and loading firewood. You lose your lunch break at work cause you know the wood you saw on the side of the road while you where working, won't be there when you are done with work. When people look inside your truck they wonder if you are that guy from the Hitch Hiker movie or part of the Chainsaw Massacre clan cause of all the axes, mauls, and chainsaws in your cab. You keep an ax in your gun rack. Kids think the house got buzzed by a low flying airplane if the furnace comes on cause they are not use to hearing it. You have a 30 year old furnace in your house cause it is not used much. You automatically wake up in the middle of the night if furnce comes on, and can't get back to sleep till fire is restarted and stocked for the night. You get mad when you search the word "chainsaw" on eaby there are so many people selling Chainsaw Massacre junk.

People think you lifted your truck for looks, you know it was the best way to put the heavier springs on, better clearance, heavier loads of wood, and the ability to get to some rough areas. Wife wants you to shop vac the wood chips out of the mini van from the wood you just couldn't pass up. You choose trees to plant on your property by what you like to burn, cause you know someday they are just going to get too big. "Honey I think a nice red oak would look great here, I hear they are great for shade."

Riding around today with my structural engineer, (him driving) looked at almost 1 million dollars worth of work for the springtime, spotted a 5inch log about 4 feet long on the roadside and wished I was in my pick-up by myself so I could stop and snag that puppy... still thinking about it for some reason:smile2:

You know you heat with wood when you can't let your husband drive because he's not watching the road...you guessed it! He's looking at the downed trees along the way!

You know you heat with wood when you can't have a car in the family...trucks only!!
attachment.php

People think you lifted your truck for looks, you know it was the best way to put the heavier springs on, better clearance, heavier loads of wood, and the ability to get to some rough areas. Wife wants you to shop vac the wood chips out of the mini van from the wood you just couldn't pass up. You choose trees to plant on your property by what you like to burn, cause you know someday they are just going to get too big. "Honey I think a nice red oak would look great here, I hear they are great for shade."

You know you heat with wood when your truck is in the shop getting new leaf springs right now :(

There is a section of a about 3 acres near the Lowell exit off I 93 that is nothing but dead standing trees. Looks like swamp maple. Every time we drive by I fantasize about having some time in there with my nmurph built Whamma Jamma 79cc Makita!!! :smile2:

Last edited:
There are multiple holes in the snowbanks piled up by the boiler that resemble someone plunging their "lit" arm into it.

Look close enough, and you might find a hole that has the side of a face imprinted above it. :dizzy::laugh:

Latest posts

Back