Your favorite Homelite model(s) and least favorite Homelite model(s)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChainLightning

Vintage Saw Stalker
Reaction score
Wondering what everyone thought. I personally love the Super XLs, XL-12s, and Super EZs. Great saws that are powerful, built like rocks, and are built to last forever. Simple to work on too. With everyone good model there is always one that I hate. Unfortunately I hate the small XLs, XL2s, and Super 2s. Always was a pain to work on. Too many hoses and the oilers were always a pain. Especially getting more duckbills when they break or come up missing. I also do not like the fixed clutch cover. More of a pain to change out chains. And you gotta pull the saw all part (which was not hard to do) to fix anything. The 330 was not a bad saw, but the boots went bad and they did not have much power for their sizes. Most people also do not like the 150, but I would rather work on three 150s vs just 1 Super 2:laugh:. Probably because I rarely have problems with a 150. Very well built saws.

I like this Super EZ that I just got, sounds cool, and it's got chrome on it n' stuff.:msp_thumbup:

I must agree that the XL2 is a pain to work on, but it was G-pa's saw, so I'll always have a softspot for one and it got me through the first winters.
Besides I picked up NIB bar for it that was sitting on a shelf at the local hardware for the last 20yrs. I must of walked past it at least 100 times.

For looks on my shelf and music to my ears, I like my (like new) 1050.

For real-world cutting, I like my 650 (because I don't have a 750...yet). ;)

Chainlighting nice thread start. For Homeys I own a Super 2 and Super XL new to me. The Super 2 was bought new for the farm. The XL was recently found used.

I have a total of 10 saws. Some Antivibe. One 82cc. One WildThing. :rock:Huskies, Macs, Poulan but no Stihl....yet.(no haters please)

For some reason I keep picking up the Super 2. Yes it is kind of a pain in the ass to work on. But really how often is that? It has nice power pulling a 16 bar. With a sharp chain it will throw chips very fast in hardwoods above your head on a ladder. I did that tonight. I don't worry about kickback.I'm not one to put the bar up my nose. I don't worry about it starting, because it ALWAYS does. 2 pulls. Every freakin time. I can pull it on a ladder and start it. I can run it with one arm. (Not recommended and not typical but you know you have needed too.)

My mother in law suggested last weekend that with the frequency I cut wood and the amount I should buy a Stihl. The people at her work talk about Stihls. I'm sure they are great. I told her she should get me one for Christmas, at $500 a saw.

I think I would still use the Super 2. It runs. For no reason it runs. It wasn't taken care of until I got it. It sat on the ground in various barns, outside in the rain, in the snow, in a hog lot etc. It's not pretty. It has paint splattered on it. It was dropped many times before I adopted it. It's cut trees, roofs, fencing, railroad ties, insulated warehouse walls and seen more dirt from being loaned out that I could possibly raise 250 bushel of corn from just the memories.

But dang it, It's my right arm when I'm cutting wood.

And one more thing. All my other chainsaw could be stolen tomorrow. I'd file the report and chalk it up as bad luck. If someone stole my Super 2, I'd go Liam Neeson from Taken on their a$$.

But I'm not sentimental.

For me it would be the 2100 and 1130G. Next the 650,750 and the SXL 925
Then the SXL and Super EZ.

With a sharp chain it will throw chips very fast in hardwoods above your head on a ladder. I did that tonight. I don't worry about kickback.I'm not one to put the bar up my nose. I don't worry about it starting, because it ALWAYS does. 2 pulls. Every freakin time. I can pull it on a ladder and start it. I can run it with one arm. (Not recommended and not typical but you know you have needed too.)

???#$@ The ABSOLUTE worst thing you can do with a saw is to run one on a ladder. Hugely bad idea. I am not tryin' to be a d-bag, but cutting on ladders is SO wrong on so many levels. Just sayin'......

As to this thread, I'll chime in with a vote for the old xl925. I cut a bunch of posts, poles and saw logs with one way back in the day. Only thing about it was that it would always boil the gas in the tank, which was fairly annoying. The saw ceases to run when it starts sucking bubbles.

Chalk up another that likes 150s. :alien2:. I agree it would be nice to have carb access without removing the engine from its housing, but once you've done it, doesn't take more than a few minutes. They're built solid and are reliable. Personally think they have a higher quality feel than the Super 2s and little XLs and I like their feel and balance better than SEZs.

Picking a favorite is impossible. The old 900 series (as in 9-23/9-26 through 995 D/G) would get my vote as coolest looking. The evolution of the C series though the XPs and finally to 2100s with the gear drive spin-offs (1100,1130 and 3100) is a marvel of engineering. Sit a C5 down next to a 2100 and compare the two. Even though they obviously appear related to each other, you'll be hard pressed to find common parts between the two other than screws and a few linkages (and the ignition switch).

The XL 700/800/900 is another evolutionary example as is the XL-100s. It's amazing the variations Homelite used on these saws. Conventional, Dykes, and thin rings, points and various electonic ignitions, anti-vibe configurations... it makes for so many combinations that its almost impossible to keep straight the details of the series (but its fun!).

Who wouldn't want a 750? All the pro series is on my favorites list. Least favorites are the 450 and 550. Something about having the same oiler diaphragm as a Super 2 doesn't seem right. Not that I'd turn one down, just not my favorites.

The newer 410s, 540 and 8800s are nice saws too.

At one time I thought I'd never have a least favorite Homelite, but after playing around with a 290 and a 340, I've changed my mind. I know they were really Solos, but they wear the colors. Used to think 240s looked neat also, but after tearing into some, the build quality just doesn't seem to be there compared to the older saws.

The really sad part is to see how they evolved into junk. From their beginning, there were so many examples of evolutions that were always improving, trying new concepts, becoming a better saw. Then, in a relatively short time, falling off the face of the earth. Makes me sick. At least the older real saws are still around to enjoy.

Dan

Dan

I spent 5-6 hours a day, for most of a year running a 900G. In some ways they are advanced over the McCulloch counterparts. They are easier to use lefthanded with the twin oiler levers, the balance is excellent, vibes were not bad, noise level borders on extreme. I learned to square file on the 9/16" sawchain, got a lot of practice, the Master only had 72" bars. The 900 series are easy starting, unlike some of the McCullochs that regularly handed out ass whippings.
The 925s are good, a bit old fashioned looking with all that exposed tubing. 925s have a tendency to boil fuel and some had the traditional Homelite starter fails, all in all a good saw. Xl12s, can't add anything here, they are well known.
I did like how the 650s ran and handled, but they are too fragile.

Latest posts

Back