Your favorite Homelite model(s) and least favorite Homelite model(s)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chainlighting nice thread start. For Homeys I own a Super 2 and Super XL new to me. The Super 2 was bought new for the farm. The XL was recently found used.

I have a total of 10 saws. Some Antivibe. One 82cc. One WildThing. :rock:Huskies, Macs, Poulan but no Stihl....yet.(no haters please)

For some reason I keep picking up the Super 2. Yes it is kind of a pain in the ass to work on. But really how often is that? It has nice power pulling a 16 bar. With a sharp chain it will throw chips very fast in hardwoods above your head on a ladder. I did that tonight. I don't worry about kickback.I'm not one to put the bar up my nose. I don't worry about it starting, because it ALWAYS does. 2 pulls. Every freakin time. I can pull it on a ladder and start it. I can run it with one arm. (Not recommended and not typical but you know you have needed too.)

My mother in law suggested last weekend that with the frequency I cut wood and the amount I should buy a Stihl. The people at her work talk about Stihls. I'm sure they are great. I told her she should get me one for Christmas, at $500 a saw.

I think I would still use the Super 2. It runs. For no reason it runs. It wasn't taken care of until I got it. It sat on the ground in various barns, outside in the rain, in the snow, in a hog lot etc. It's not pretty. It has paint splattered on it. It was dropped many times before I adopted it. It's cut trees, roofs, fencing, railroad ties, insulated warehouse walls and seen more dirt from being loaned out that I could possibly raise 250 bushel of corn from just the memories.

But dang it, It's my right arm when I'm cutting wood.

Really like that story man. There will always be that one saw that we will never get rid of no matter what. That one for me has to be my 254 Olympyk. It was my grandpa's saw. He got it for Christmas in 1983 and heated our home with it for many many years. Even after we got a gas furnace (late 90s I think) he still used it for helping cut wood for friends and family, and taking care of brush. When he died in 2003 I got that saw and his deer rifle. Bought broke my heart when he died, but the memories that flow through my hands and go to my thoughts after I pick up that old Olympyk or Remington....they are priceless and I would not trade them for anything in this world.

Chalk up another that likes 150s. :alien2:. I agree it would be nice to have carb access without removing the engine from its housing, but once you've done it, doesn't take more than a few minutes. They're built solid and are reliable. Personally think they have a higher quality feel than the Super 2s and little XLs and I like their feel and balance better than SEZs.

Picking a favorite is impossible. The old 900 series (as in 9-23/9-26 through 995 D/G) would get my vote as coolest looking. The evolution of the C series though the XPs and finally to 2100s with the gear drive spin-offs (1100,1130 and 3100) is a marvel of engineering. Sit a C5 down next to a 2100 and compare the two. Even though they obviously appear related to each other, you'll be hard pressed to find common parts between the two other than screws and a few linkages (and the ignition switch).

The XL 700/800/900 is another evolutionary example as is the XL-100s. It's amazing the variations Homelite used on these saws. Conventional, Dykes, and thin rings, points and various electonic ignitions, anti-vibe configurations... it makes for so many combinations that its almost impossible to keep straight the details of the series (but its fun!).

Who wouldn't want a 750? All the pro series is on my favorites list. Least favorites are the 450 and 550. Something about having the same oiler diaphragm as a Super 2 doesn't seem right. Not that I'd turn one down, just not my favorites.

The newer 410s, 540 and 8800s are nice saws too.

At one time I thought I'd never have a least favorite Homelite, but after playing around with a 290 and a 340, I've changed my mind. I know they were really Solos, but they wear the colors. Used to think 240s looked neat also, but after tearing into some, the build quality just doesn't seem to be there compared to the older saws.

The really sad part is to see how they evolved into junk. From their beginning, there were so many examples of evolutions that were always improving, trying new concepts, becoming a better saw. Then, in a relatively short time, falling off the face of the earth. Makes me sick. At least the older real saws are still around to enjoy.

Dan

Dan
It seems that every 150 that I ever bought ran..or ran with a little work (new gas line or carb cleaned) The most recent one that I bought someone melted the clutch (screws are all bend and twisted and the drum plate is twisted) but the clutch still works and drives! That saw also has about a half and inch thick of grease on it and the line is getting bad. Most people would look at that thing and assume that it belonged in the scrap yard. but she fired right up and runs strong. Just as with my Super EZ. Somewhere back it got run too hot and lean and it scuffed the piston up very bad. It got to the point of where it would not idle at all, but run on high speed. At that time that was the only saw I had and it never let me down. Would just keep going back for more.
I have had the chance to buy a old 60s ZIP but I turned it down because it was missing the bulb. Should have bought that. But I am still looking for a EZ-6. Love the look of them! In my opinion the coolest looking saws. Homelite saws are very hard working saws...that is why you still find the old ones to this day more than any other brand.
I agree on the new ones being junk. Should be against the law to buy out a legendary brand and put its name on junk. Those are not "real" . The real Homelites are the ones that never let us down under the worst conditions.

Haven't had the pleasure of a 750 or a 2100 yet. For now, I like my 2000 and 1020. Randy is correct about starting. My SW80 is one of the easiest to get going that I have. 360 I had ran well enough, but I wasn't crazy about the design.

If I'm working with it, hands down the 8800. Strong smooth and ergonomic. I have a soft spot for the sez, sxlao and the zip. Size doesn't really matter to me when it comes to american mag. More about the value of memories. Superez was the firs saw I ran, Sxla is the first I owned and I remember watching my grandpa run the zip.

I love to run my sxla. I learned on my dad's xl12 years ago, and the sxl has that same feel. The sound, the vibes, and that slow, torquey power brings back some good memories.
I am in the process of bringing a 1973 C-72 back to life. The saw was given to me after having sat in a friend's barn for probably 20 years. I've got it running good but I'm waiting on a b&c that should be here soon. I'm hoping to put it in some wood this weekend. It sounds awesome and weighs a little more than some of the vehicles i have owned, but I'm really looking forward to using it.

We have a lot more Homelites than any other saws. From an XL-2 to a 750. We are working on the 700 series of gear drives right now.......looking for a 900.

995G003.jpg

any of the older gear or belt drives are tops with me, then comes the direct drive counter parts.

worst would be the chinese ones sold at HD

I'd say the worst would be the Chinese ones followed by the Homelite 240 that I couldn't even give away, and it was a running cutting saw. Just made like junk.

My favorite one would be a 3100 followed by a 2100. I had a 750, it behaved much like a new Stihl 880 but with a few less cc's. Lots of rpm but not the old school torque I had expected, still, it was a very strong saw.

i like the ones without the word homelite on them, but i really hate the ones with the words homelite on them,:msp_tongue:

Well, these all get run now and then. The 925 is a real nice saw with good torque and a nice bark to the exhaust. The SXL is a known quanity. And the 330's really aren't as bad as everyone make them out to be. (once you fix that boot)

bY4Km.jpg

Couple of earlier ones. The blue XL-12 is a real nice runner. The EZ is pretty handy, and was a pricey arborist saw in it's day.

4veAe.jpg

limited experience with homelite. just rebuilt my C-5; like was said before its heavier than some of my vehicles but that thang just cuts. rebuilt a 330 as well. got a great deal on a 410. got a 150 and an xl-2 waiting to be rebuilt; neither has ever run since i've had them. would love to get a 925 and/or a 650 and definitely a sez. had a sez in my hands one time, wanted $22. didn't get it, thought i could come back later, it was gone. duh!
can't say which one i like best. depends on what i'm cutting

Last edited:
Well, these all get run now and then. The 925 is a real nice saw with good torque and a nice bark to the exhaust. The SXL is a known quanity. And the 330's really aren't as bad as everyone make them out to be. (once you fix that boot)

bY4Km.jpg

Couple of earlier ones. The blue XL-12 is a real nice runner. The EZ is pretty handy, and was a pricey arborist saw in it's day.

4veAe.jpg

Nice. Very nice looking SXL and 330. I use to have a early 80s 330 that I bought at a garage sale for a dollar. I rebuilt it with new crankseals and a boot. Then got it tuned up by a pro and it just did not have the power that I wanted. So I sold it for 50 bucks. Would have made a alright limb saw but I bought a XL-12 with that 50 bucks which is about the same weight with almost twice the power! Plus I did not have to worry about the boot breaking cause of the alcohol rich gas and pinches. I am currently rebuilding my SXL. Looks to be about the same condition as yours....your bar is a little nice tho :laugh: View attachment 255526View attachment 255527View attachment 255528View attachment 255529View attachment 255530

My favorites are the ones that are mine: xl-12, c-72, and xp-1020.

I can't say anything about the others because I've never used one, but then again, I've never needed to use another one.

An old favorite

I still have my grandpa's old XL - the saw i learned on when i was 13. I think it was straight gassed. Can anyone suggest an easy fix? I don't wanna put too much money into it but i'd love to take it out and cut some trees (for sentimental value!) I'm sure the parts are obsolete. Maybe try ebay? Thanks for any advice!!

Latest posts

Back