Your Favorite Looking Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The favorite looking of my own saws is this Yanmar rotary engine chainsaw

Nice driveby neener there! :laugh:

How many of those in existence on the planet? Where, you say?

You saying it runs too? :rock:

Cleaned and freshened up a Homie 150 recently for a friend. Told him they're like mules with basic care. He likes that when he fires it up it can silence some stihl-head friends. Not bad for '79 vintage- still works like a mule.

Haven't heard a Homie 150 called cool-looking before, though. :cool2:

They just have a distinctive look that I find appealing. Separated from the masses and a look all their own. They may cut like crap as I've never run one, just find them "cute". (is that better than cool looking?)

The favorite looking of my own saws is this Yanmar rotary engine chainsaw
View attachment 310904
View attachment 310905

I'm really really really scratching my head when I look at this saw. It looks almost identical to a echo 610EVL twin cylinder. But you say its a rotary. I will say one thing your saw is super RARE. Even if it is a rebranded 610evl, its the only one I have ever saw. :msp_ohmy:

I'm really really really scratching my head when I look at this saw. It looks almost identical to a echo 610EVL twin cylinder. But you say its a rotary. I will say one thing your saw is super RARE. Even if it is a rebranded 610evl, its the only one I have ever saw. :msp_ohmy:

Nope, this is no relabeled Echo. Yanmar decided to enter the chainsaw market around 1973 and brought out their first rotary engine chainsaw in 1974 (one year earlier than the Dolmar rotary, and they featured AV mounts and a chain brake). There were a few models in this series, mostly face-lifted based on the earlier one, but also one small model with a size equivalent to a 35 cc engine saw. Mine is one of the last ones built around 1976-77 (??), and after the rotary engine series Yanmar decided to relabel Echos.

Last edited:
in my research it keep coming up that they were made for yanmar by zenoah not sure thought. def a rotary

Yeah I just realized it says rotary engine on the clutch cover. There are not many japan folks on AS so they might not be too rare. Still after all the years of being a member her and checking the forum almost every day since I registered this is the first I have seen or heard of this saw.:rock: Especially this being a rotary saw.

SEAM I really think the folks on arborist site would love to see more of this saw.:msp_thumbup: Could I possibly bother you into making a new thread about this saw. Please:D

Yeah I just realized it says rotary engine on the clutch cover. There are not many japan folks on AS so they might not be too rare. Still after all the years of being a member her and checking the forum almost every day since I registered this is the first I have seen or heard of this saw.:rock: Especially this being a rotary saw.

SEAM I really think the folks on arborist site would love to see more of this saw.:msp_thumbup: Could I possibly bother you into making a new thread about this saw. Please:D

Actually, they are very rare. Took me five years to find one I could afford.
I'll see when I find the time to do another photo session - it's too hot and humid over here at the moment.

Nope, this is no relabeled Echo. Yanmar decided to enter the chainsaw market around 1973 and brought out their first rotary engine chainsaw in 1974 (one year earlier than the Dolmar rotary, and they featured AV mounts and a chain brake). There were a few models in this series, mostly face-lifted based on the earlier one, but also one small model with a size equivalent to a 35 cc engine saw. Mine is one of the last ones built around 1976-77 (??), and after the rotary engine series Yanmar decided to relabel Echos.

How rare are these in japan? Are the echos yours too?:msp_ohmy: Wait is that TWO yellow echo rotarys?:heart::heart:

it won't let me link it but theres a set of vids of one on another forum thru google just type yanmar chainsaw video in google

it won't let me link it but theres a set of vids of one on another forum thru google just type yanmar chainsaw video in google

That is actually SEAM's saw in that video. There are enough dolmar kms-4 rotary saws out there that if someone wanted they could find one. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure your yanmar rotary saw is probably one of the very very very few known to exist.

Last edited:
That is actually SEAM's saw in that video. There are enough dolmar kms-4 rotary saws out there that if someone wanted they could find one. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure your yanmar chainsaw is probably one of the very very very few known to exist.

I have seen four besides this one for sale so far... Some may be in collectors' hands over here. I know of one in Finland and another one in a forestry museum in Japan. Yanmar themselves may have kept a couple, but I doubt that.

These were never sold outside Japan and must have been very expensive.

IMG_7228.jpg

IMG_7231.jpg

Back