Your favourite rebuilding tool?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are some of the tools you value most most when rebuilding a saw?

Mine is the pressure and vacuum pump.

I love it and use it religiously checking fuel tanks, oil tanks, Fuel, oil and Impulse lines, carb, cylinder and case halve mating surfaces, gaskets, seals, o-rings, oilers, grommets, needle valves, seats, pocket valves, check valves, diaphragms, intake manifolds and more.

Is there a tool that you couldn’t be without when rebuilding and why?

One of these, because turning screw drivers sucks.
053f086a-3f8f-44b2-a3f1-895dfe310ef5.a27f54d6e194301ebd60ffe58f169207.jpeg

One of these, because turning screw drivers sucks.
053f086a-3f8f-44b2-a3f1-895dfe310ef5.a27f54d6e194301ebd60ffe58f169207.jpeg
Haha such a good one! I have an impact but the point is the same, good call.
I didn’t quite believe just how quick taking a saw apart is with one and I use one all the time now too! In fact I’ll often re resemble a saw using it but just finish the final torque by hand. As of yet having been very careful, touch wood, I haven’t cross threaded or stripped a nut or bolt with one.

Haha such a good one! I have an impact but the point is the same, good call.
I didn’t quite believe just how quick taking a saw apart is with one and I use one all the time now too! In fact I’ll often re resemble a saw using it but just finish the final torque by hand. As of yet having been very careful, touch wood, I haven’t cross threaded or stripped a nut or bolt with one.
Now you just jinxed your self by saying that.

The small Stihl flathead screwdrivers intended for carb adjustments. I find myself using as a substitute for a pick tool. Kinda like a pick with more surface area. I also occasionally adjust a carb with 'em, too.

Other honorable mentions: forceps (or heliostats or whatever), an old but skookum Dewalt wireless driver, 18V impact (clutches, yep), cheap spark tester, ultrasonic cleaner, leather mallet, and who could forget leftover cardboard amazon boxes to soak up the fuel & bar oil that I inevitably spill?

I have a small toaster oven I use for heating case halves amd bearings. Before I'd use a little torch, was a pain. I'd not be without it now, Mity vac is essential as well.
I used a normal oven to gently heat the cases, but at 150c as the manual suggests for bearings, it yellows the paint. I use a heat gun now, though that‘ll bubble / strip paint if you’re not careful.

They would run me out of there!
I push the boundaries sometimes, but I try to avoid any tool noise / banging after 5pm and I don’t run saws or test them at home. We live in a very small 2 bedroom home fully attached and our small back garden backs onto other small gardens on every side. Thankfully my neighbours are almost totally silent or deaf. I was just unreasonable previously. I honestly didn’t think much about how much noise I was making and deaf doesn’t mean he couldn’t feel the vibrations of the nightmare that was my previous compressor. Lesson learnt.

My neighbors are used to my noisemakers. Now if I could get my dogs to shut up every time someone or something comes by, that’d be great!
Our dog barks at people coming to the door, initially we discouraged it, but we later learnt that he has “scared” off thieves. Though far from scary, he is a great alarm. I have opened my front door to see people running to the park at the end of the drive more than once!

F266B88C-4DF2-467A-83DB-1F7C2AEED0CE.jpeg

Latest posts

Back