Your first chainsaw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first saw was a PL4 my Gramp gave me, then I took over Dad's XL when he couldn't run a saw any longer. In the mid 80's I bought a 61 husky and it did a fine service till '00 when I bought the 365XP, which is still kickin ass! :rock: The 395XP entered the scene in '08 when the timber I was getting for firewood got extremely large. I do see a 550XP in the very near future to finish my 3 saw plan :D

attachment.php

attachment.php

My first saw belonged to my father. A 268xp in pretty nice shape. I loved that saw but my now X wife, sold it on a garage sale..!

I need to find another...

The first saw that ever actully owned was a Shindaiwa 300 that I picked up 6 or 7 years ago and cut with it for about 3 years before venturing away from it. Had very limited knowledge about saws at the time and didn't realize the endless choices there are when it comes to saws. I still have the 300 with no plans on getting rid of it, actually I am looking for another one for the wifey so she will stop touching mine.

My first saw was a 550 Echo . I realy liked that saw untill someone broke into my house and stole it along with alot of other things . Anyway I replaced with a 026 Stihl .I would bought another Echo but they were alot more money at the time , early 90's .

My first saw was purchased ten or so years ago after a monsterous ice storm hit NC and left fallen trees all over the place. I was 20 or so years old and just out on my own so I went Lowes and bought a husqvarna 340 and have ran the piss out of that saw for a long time cutting firewood before I found Arborsite and realized Husqvarna made saws called an xp. The 340 don't get used much now but it is still as reliable and ready to go as ever.

Bought at a garage sale almost thirty years ago. Paid 15 USD for him. 13 USD too much. Learned all about automatic oilers on him. Took me a couple weeks to get him running. Didn't understand pumper carbs..

Never going to part with 'Little Darlin'.

attachment.php

Perfect for the urban home owner.

That looks very similar to my first saw. :jawdrop:

Bought at a garage sale almost thirty years ago. Paid 15 USD for him. 13 USD too much. Learned all about automatic oilers on him. Took me a couple weeks to get him running. Didn't understand pumper carbs..

Never going to part with 'Little Darlin'.

attachment.php

Perfect for the urban home owner.

The dual trigger models are more versatile than the single trigger models.

attachment.php

First saw was a Homelite Super XL Automatic , made in 1971. My father bought it new and I inherited it . Never really liked running it, vibration was off the scale compared to modern saws.
View attachment 267962

My first is an Echo CS 510 EVL, needed a chainsaw because an apple tree went down. Still have it, bought it used when i was 33, now i am 52.
It is the start of my collection of EVL models.
The second was a 330 EVL, the third a CST 610 EVL after i discovered that Echo made a twin.
After them i stopped counting but it are still not to many.

100_0275.jpg

100_0274.jpg

A year or two out of high school (late 70's), picked up a deal on a clean 031av when I no longer had easy access to my dads saw. Didn't use it very often but felt the need to have one 'just in case', to help out friends, etc.
Bought a house about 10 years later and started burning wood, did 3-4 cords a year. Around late 90's the 031 started cutting out at odd times, would start right back up but was pissing me off, tore it down multiple times but I couldn't figure it out.
Was at the local dealer to buy a gal of bar oil and there was a Husq 55 on sale for I think $265. Really didn't think I needed two saws but bought it on a whim more or less and because the 031 was really annoying me. Then the 031 started working right again all on it's own, I figured it must have been jealous of the 55, lol.

Those two served my needs just fine for another 10 years or so, when I found a busted up 028av for $18 at a flea market. No sooner had I scrounged parts for that I found another deal-I-couldn't-refuse on another 55 at the same place.
Then I got free access to a truck and some acreage of standing red/white oak, got interested in doing performance mods and started lurking here for a while...

Still have the 031, both 55's and the 028, as well as somewhere around a hundred additional saws and see no end to it, WTF:msp_ohmy::msp_tongue:.

Bill

Last edited:
I got my first saw when i was 6. Was a husky 32. Would be painful to have to use now but had some good times with that little thing. Since then i have always had a saw.

My first Saw I bought was a McCulloch 1-43 with a mid 60's Homelite parts saw at a swap meet will I was going buy a homelite but it was sold it was the same model that come with my 1-43, Homelite will never run piston is not in good shape.

PICT0711_zpsd1287928.jpg

Last edited:
First cut was with a Stihl 034 when I was around 16. Then my parents got divorced and I hadn't had the chance to use it. When that was finally over, last year, I bought a 362 cuz life without a chainsaw isn't life at all! And owing 1 saw is like owning none so I bought a 064 this year and got a Echo 280E for free from my FIL.

first saw

i personally baught my first saw at age 14. ive worked landscaping and tree work, etc. since about 12 with friends and family and now could almost start a small buisness. ive made over 22 grand this yr and am a full time college student. so you could say i started young.

i toll every dime i had saved then out of my accounts and borrowed 40 bucks from my grandmother to buy me a new ms 310. was and is one of my most proud purchases. most 14 yr olds dont want anything to do with a saw today.

thankful for all ive been blessed with

My first saw I was 12 and my dad gave me his little red Homelite. I was in the old shed today behind his house and found it in a pile of junk. I brought it home to clean up and put on the shelf over my saw bench. Dad says I have been addicted to saws ever since I was 2yrs old when he first bought that little red saw. I'm 29 now and don't see my addiction getting any better.:chainsawguy:

Back