Your Highest Barometer Reading?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Mine may have been today. My ancient barometer shows 31.1 in of mercury. We are a tad above sea level on a hill, but not that much. Temperature outside is a flat 0 F. Wind Chill is -10 F. Schools gave up and closed down, but I'm not sure why. No snow.

Regardless, can you recall or are you looking at a reading this high?

mine was abnormally high for my location last night. highest it read was 30.6 around sunrise. my elevation is right around 1200 ft above sea level. always seems harder to burn when the baro is on the rise too

Hmmmmmm.....
I don't have one of those gadgets, but this says we're currently at 30.86 (sea level corrected).
Oh... 1000 ft above sea level here.

barometric-pressure.jpg

Weatherman at noon was commenting on the higher than normal pressure today. I have a reading of 30.5 and we are about 600 feet above sea level.

Looks like my old barometer doesn't need repairing. Thanks, Spider.

BTW, I usually have just the opposite of Jakers' experience. My wood stove burns better with a rising barometer, which is usually accompanied by a north wind that sets up a tremendous chimney draft. Whenever that happens, I suddenly have a blast furnace to control.

I have no idea what a barometer is. My back works fine to tell weather.
The barometer was invented in the early 17th century by Evangelista Torricelli. He was a contemporary of Galileo, but he died from typhoid fever at rather early age. I have noticed that our weathermen around here seldom even mention the barometric pressure anymore. They keep talking about computer models instead. In fact, those models rely heavily on barometric pressure readings. Otherwise, they wouldn't mean much.

After listening to the evening weather report, I usually go over and tap the barometer before retiring.

Weather for me...
Spring - cold
summer - cool
fall - cold and rain
winter-cold and snow.

Haha

The Weather Channel just did a piece on the high barometric reading in Nebraska last night. Seems like average was around 30.5.

The chart below illustrates how to interpret your barometer's inches of mercury reading. This provides a reasonably accurate forecast for the next 12 to 24 hours.

Barometric Reading

- Forecast

Over 30.20"

Rising or steady
- Continued fair
Slowing falling
- Fair
Rapidly falling
- Cloudy, Warmer

29.80" to 30.20"
Rising or steady
- Same as present
Slowing falling
- Little change
Rapidly falling
- Precipitation likely

Under 29.80"
Rising or steady
- Clearing, cooler
Slowing falling
- Precipitation
Rapid falling
- Storm

Well, guys, yesterday we broke the all-time high barometric pressure reading in Omaha, Nebraska. The official reading was 1055.3 millibars or 31.162 inches of mercury. Several other cities in the midlands also reported record-breaking high air pressures. The old record was set in 1989.

Holy Cow! No wonder my woodstove was burning so well. I should have taken a picture of my barometer. The needle was pointing almost straight down.

Back