Your personal wood stash

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have two separate “stashes”… around 19 cord split and stacked, and countless cords of “still-on-the-stick”.

Round numbers… The split and stacked is 80% (15 cord) Bur Oak, 15% (3 cord) Sugar Maple, 5% (1 cord) Ash.
The “still-on-the-stick” is standing-dead elm… I “store” it standing. I don’t cut and split it until the bark falls and I’m ready to toss it in the house, which minimizes the handling. Occasionally I have to stack a little of it (the lower trunk) just outside the old coal shoot for a week or so, and then it’s ready to toss in. I’d guesstimate the “still-on-the-stick” is 80% American Elm, 20% Red Elm.

I have about 95% Alder here at the house the rest being Fir and Maple (Probably 4 cords here)

And I don't know exactly what I have stacked at the landowners place (outside his barn) right now maybe another 4 cords mostly Fir thu and some Alder I take most of the Alder home :msp_biggrin:

If I remember I'll get pic's what I have up there :msp_smile:

But I'm cutting for two other houses also (brothers)

attachment.php

I will use about 5 cord or less this winter. I have 30 cord stacked ready to go, half oak, the rest is a couple cords of everything. I like ash the best. Easiest to split, move, haul, season, and lights easy with good heat. I would like to get 10 cord a yr burning 5 untill I get 20 yrs ahead. Then I'll feel safe.

Good lord Dan! You have Firewood Aquisition Disorder, or FAD. I too have a touch of FAD, but I take medicine in the form of UFO WHITE; takes the edge off, and I can get other stuff done.

I have 6 cords put by, 30% red oak, 30% white oak, and 40% mix of ash, yellow birch, beech, hard and soft maple. I do have the oak in separate sections so when the temps get really gritty I can max the heat. I burn the rest before and after the really cold season. I will burn all 6 this year, easily.

I have exactly 10 arm loads of next year's wood stacked, mostly hard maple, a few sticks of red oak, and a few of white ash. I have a cord of hard maple cut to 20" and waiting for the return of my loaned out splitter. I have 1/4 cord of 20" ash too. I will be buying 4 cords of white oak off a local logger this winter again as well. I will bring home as much red oak and hard maple as I can from work too. I hope to have 10 cord stacked and waiting come this time next year.

Heading out to Paris Farmer's Union to check out the Drolet wood stoves in a few minutes.

I have about 1.5 cords of uglies/cutoffs in any number of species. About a cord of pine. And whatever doesn't sell of last years wood (about 10 cords). All before I have to dip into the 15 seasoning over by the shed. It's a mix from silver maple to red and white oak, a row or two of apple, and tons of mulberry.

We don't sell firewood but we've had some local folks stop by to ask. If it's wood it gets split, stacked and burned in the stove. :D

Got six cords stacked and laid in at this time. One cord in the round is stacked by the new wood pile. We went through close to three cord last year - it was delivered and not fully seasoned. The seller said it was but that's a post for another day. :msp_mad:

Suffice it to say the stuff didn't burn very well and we probably used a lot more wood than we will now that we're working up our own and giving it time to season.

We cut on the woodlot next door. There's not much to choose from - mostly sweetgum, black gum, red maple and some red oak. The gums ain't much for the BTUs but they burn nicely and they're free. The SheWolf prefers the maple. That's her favorite show on Fire TV. :)

These are forest trees, tall and straight with few crotches. All splitting is done with a hydro... this ol' dog ain't swingin' no ax or maul.

Three years ahead and we sleep well at night. :)

Ya, I got the fad. That was some dirty old wood. I just can't pass up free wood. Especially all ready down and of good quality and amount.

3fordasho,

It's mighty fine stuff as long as you have a good supply of band aids. LOL

Sad part is until i got a buchthorn donation a few years ago i had cut plenty of it on grown over farm fields.
It was just a nasty shrub in my mind all those years and just got dragged to a big fire pit on site, even doing that you were sure to get jabbed a few times.

Now when i see them i cut em and keep the main section, i still burn or discard all the branches though.
The branches have a serious mean attitude, the main is just nasty and not so mean.

Not sure how buckthorne got off the firewood radar since it is on a par with mahogany.
Guess buckthorne is a nasty customer, not what any of us would really call a tree so it just wasn't thought of as firewood.

Whitespider,

Got to love when nature is getting things ready for you :)
Don't get much better than standing dead elm and 2 or 3 less steps to deal with it.

My nephew just bought a country property and when i went for a look he was boasting about the 100 or so big dead ash he had for his fireplaces ready to come down.

I had to break the bad news to him that not one of them was ash.
The good news though they are all rock elm.

Lucky B!#!@$$ was my next remark LOL

Lots of Ash This Year

50% ash, 20% red elm, 10% mulberry, 10% hackberry, 10% all other.

To me, that's a good year, and all of it is dry as a bone, split, and ready to burn. In the round and drying I have 40% ash, 30% red elm, 10% locust, 10% mulberry, and 20% all other.

Latest posts

Back