Yucky,nasty,dirty,how do they get like this ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roncoinc

Official Stihl Disser
Reaction score
Took this in trade and was amazed at how,dirty,beat up,scratched up,nasty it was !!
in some places the crud is so thick a putty knife wont take it off !! some of the scratches so deep if in a sidewalk you would trip !
the top cover got broken and they gobbed on silicone caulking !
the ID plate i could hardly read at all,even IT was beat that bad..
bar bent in TWO places even..
he said it had no spark,must have had original plug in it,with a new one it runs fine..
this saw is from a home owner,how do they do something like this to a saw ??
WHAT could they do to beat it up so bad ??
cosmetically this one is not salvageable :(
what a shame,runs good now after some attention,well,LOT's of attention,air cleaner needed a good hour in the USC ! never mind needing an impact tool to loosen what was under the bar cover :)
aint no selling this one so clean what i can and set it up and loan it it out i guess..
disgusting...the picture makes it looke MUCH better than what it is..i may just take a palm sander to it !!

attachment.php

I am working on an 029 that looks like that. It was used by my buddy. He had a lawn, tree service in AZ. He used it on palm trees. It got dropped from the top of a tree. It was nasty.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Took this in trade and was amazed at how,dirty,beat up,scratched up,nasty it was !!
in some places the crud is so thick a putty knife wont take it off !! some of the scratches so deep if in a sidewalk you would trip !
he said it had no spark,must have had original plug in it,with a new one it runs fine..
what a shame,runs good now after some attention,well,LOT's of attention,air cleaner needed a good hour in the USC ! never mind needing an impact tool to loosen what was under the bar cover :)
aint no selling this one so clean what i can and set it up and loan it it out i guess..
disgusting...the picture makes it looke MUCH better than what it is..i may just take a palm sander to it !!

attachment.php

Soooooooooooooo..............your saying its not for sale?

If it is getting the full treatment, hit it with some citrus based cleaner and hot water. I made quick plugs for the real nasty ones out of sheet Aluminum and an old bicycle inner tube, one bolted to the intake and one over the exhaust and you could sink it in a pond and not get the inside wet.

Last edited:

attachment.php

How do they get like that?

A pro faller, a month or so, and a conifer forest. . .

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks like some pretty tough stuff on the plastic, but nothing a bit of elbow grease and Purple Power won't fix. Sometimes dirty is a good thing in an old saw. Caked on oily sawdust protects a painted metal surface pretty darn well.:laugh:

Theres people who buy a new saw, run it alot and never even blow the saw off or wipe it down. No matter how much work a saw gets put through, it should be cleaned up regularly to keep everything working right. I work my saws pretty hard too, but I can manage to keep them looking good.

My boss is like that. Runs saws and leaves them in rain, never wipes them off, cleans the filters, or changes the plugs, pickup, etc. Just runs them till they die. Then wondered why they die. If it was'nt for the occasional rain bath, you probably could'nt even identify them.

They get to look like that when cutting spruce and balsam for pulp wood. That balsam pitch is hard on a saw.

It will even get on the handles of the saw and glue your gloves to the handles.

Bob

I use simple green on my saws, bike, car, tractor -- you name it.
Biodegradeable, and a powerful degreaser/cleaner. Reasonably priced as well.
SG, hot water, and a toothbrush + compressed air work perfectly!

Pro-use saws are "allowed" to be dirty and look used, but homeowners / semi-pros??
No excuse, unless you LIKE replacing your saws prematurely.

gr

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back