Yucky,nasty,dirty,how do they get like this ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My saws get a real good cleaning twice. Once when I get them, to check everything out, and once when they are sold. Other than that, they might get a little compressed air every now and then.

Perhaps I should knit a saw cozy for Twinkle. Bumpity scrapity...I do tether her to a tiedown thingy. That keeps her within reach and out of the unreachable zone. A scary place. Don't go there.

It's old, can be a tad fickle with carb adjustments, but it works very very well:
large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Last edited:
I wash my saws with the garden hose all the time.
I just start them and let them get warm first and after their bath I start them again and let them run 'til they are dry.
And yes I've been known to spray a little imitation "Dollar Store" lemon furniture polish on them when they are nice and dry.
It does help to keep the sawdust and oil from clinging.

Mike

I wash my saws with the garden hose all the time.
I just start them and let them get warm first and after their bath I start them again and let them run 'til they are dry.
And yes I've been known to spray a little imitation "Dollar Store" lemon furniture polish on them when they are nice and dry.
It does help to keep the sawdust and oil from clinging.

Mike

:agree2: Yep, that's the way I do it! Never had a problem.
Its when you wash a saw then don't run it afterward is where you get in trouble, that water will lurk down in the bottom of the crankcase eating and corroding your saw's innards.

So how many guys here take it to the next level and bust out the Lemon Pledge when they are done cleaning? :)
I don't think many of them use Lemon Pledge...too girly. These guys are tough...they probably use Armor All. Or maybe car wax. ;)
Guilty. Same reason I use to spray down the quads. They clean up easier.
But really only wipe down show saws, saw dust and oil preserve the work saws :) lol

The two 10-10s, my most recent acquisitions, were so choked up with saw dust bar oil glop that I used a medium size putty knife to dig it out of the fan housing and cooling fins. Don't see how any air cooling took place. Saws are now at least a pound lighter.

Mineral spirits, Gumout and Brake Kleen got the job done with some dis-assembly.

I think I'll reserve the water hose or pressure washer for the warmer months. Would have been faster and cheaper.

Have you bought a gallon of lacquer thinner lately? Yikes!

Latest posts

Back