Zama M27 36P rebuild kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpilot83

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Alright, I made some absurd ignorant comments in another thread about my Dad's McCulloch Eager Beaver 2014 2.0 ci chain saw.

Now that I've torn into it, it seems much simpler than what I had expected when reading about it. I was attempting to use it and return it in better condition than I found it.

Short version is that I would like a carb kit for it, "just in case". Took the carb off and Zama M27 36P is what I saw on the carb. When I Google that I don't see exact matches. I have never ordered a carb kit before other than directly from Echo for my brand new weed eater (was exploring and dropped a part and could not find it again).

So do carb kits come in categories? Like maybe all the Zama M27's take the same carb kit regardless of the remaining digits? Long version will be the next post of mine in this thread.

So I did some minor clearing work. A bunch of small dead trees had fallen in an area of our pasture where we wanted to fence off for a garden. So I cut them up small enough that my 5 year old and 2 year old girls could load them in the trailer because they for some reason were getting a huge kick out of helping.

While running the saw:

1. I decided I needed to learn to hand sharpen chains and ordered files, guides, depth gauges, a new chain, etc. Cutting with the saw was work and I know it is because the chain was not in good shape from the get go and rapidly got worse due to me getting in the dirt or whatever regularly.

2. It idled really fast. Possibly just need to replace the dried grease in the clutch to make it disengage better but I think it was more than that. To my ear it sounded about 10 to 20% faster than it should have been idling.

3. It used LOTS of bar oil. Tank was empty when I ran out of fuel every time. I found that strange as I don't remember it slinging it but I wasn't really watching for it. So I need to make sure the oil is going where it needs to go and in the amount that it needs. It does not leak in the case when full so I about believe it has to be getting on the chain but I need to evaluate that.

4. Primer bulb was broken. Still started easy and ran fine though other than the fast idle.

So I get done cutting and I decide it needs to be in at least as good or condition as I found it. So I decided that would mean a new chain. I found it with a broken bulb, I would leave it that way. Ordered a new chain from Bailey's and installed it when the chain arrived. Tried to start the saw to evaluate the oiling concerns I had and I absolutely could not get it to start.

Decided to start simple and checked air cleaner and spark plug. Figured it's gotta be at least a 20 year old spark plug, I'll just replace it and not even test it.

While I was messing with the air cleaner and spark plug I noticed that the bulb was going to be really easy to replace as long as the lines were not brittle. So I decided to pop it out of there. One line broke.

Well heck, now it's for sure in worse shape than when I picked it up. So I order three 3-foot sections of hose. 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4" ID hose. Also ordered a fuel filter.

Then I figured, well, if I'm going to tear into it, I might as well try to determine why it won't idle. So I check to see what carb it has and figure I'll get a carb kit for it while I'm at it.

Edited to add:

I forgot to mention that while I was removing the carb to identify it, I found out why it would not start. Fuel line between the carb and fuel tank had broken. Well, at least I hope that's the problem. It's possible that I broke it while messing with the primer bulb lines but I really don't think I did.

Also while the carb was off I noticed that the cylinder and piston looked BEAUTIFUL. Dad always runs 32:1 rather than 40:1 like the manual calls for. Maybe that's why?

End edit

I might as well replace hoses for the chain oiling system while I'm at it at this point.

Any thoughts on anything else I should do would be appreciated.

I think now I'll order:

1. A tool for fishing line through the tanks

2. Carb kit

3. Whatever kind of line I need for the bar oil (any suggestions there?)

Thanks!

OK, so I didn't see on the carb where it said C1Q but browsing the internet tells me that it likely is a C1Q M27 carb and that carb has been discontinued for some time. It appears that no one even makes a rebuild kit for it. So maybe that's out unless there is another carb that I could buy for it that is compatible with the saw and all the linkage involved but is modern enough for a guy to find a carb kit for it? Or maybe I should just skip the carb kit and not disassemble the carb at all. Just replace the fuel lines and filter and put it back together and call that good enough?

Back