McCulloch Mac 130

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Podagrower

Reaction score
I've come to share what I learned this month. I found lots of threads here about the little Macs and thought I could repay some of what I borrowed. The back story-I left my dad's Mac 130 in the shed with ethanol fuel in it probably 6 or 7 years ago. I knew there wasn't a point to trying to start it without a rebuild, I knew it didn't make economic sense to fix, but I was feeling sentimental, and I kinda like the way this little saw runs and cuts.

I started with new filters, lines, plug, and a carb kit. I don't remember the saw breaking down, but after I got the saw apart and put in all the new parts, there was no spark-the coil was dead. I started looking for replacements and found that everything was discontinued. Mine had the 219215 electronic ignition which appears to also fit the mac 110, 120, and Eager Beaver 2.0. Searching revealed the 217031 and 84957 would be replacements that are also discontinued. It gets interesting after the MTD years, and I found a part number 725 04320 for a Cub Cadet lawn mower, which looks to me from the photos I got to be an exact copy of the Mexican 217031. I was only able to locate 1, and the price was a bit steep, so I decided to try a 753 06432, which was pretty cheap and plentiful. The 753 06432 is not the right coil for these saws, unless you decide to make it fit. It does bolt in (barely), it does make spark, it does make the saw run. It does not fit in the case without modification. I had decided that this coil was going to work and broke out the death wheel, I had to cut a 2" wide notch in the bottom of the case from the front to past the gas tank tab. Now, the coil fits fine, and there is no more of that fight to get the engine in and out of the case (bonus).

I know, pointless, expensive, probably caused an angel to not get it wings, but for a little saw it fits my needs.

Back