chains won't self feed?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Touched on it in a previous post and several others have mentioned the cutter bar wear.

The lip on the bottom of the chain/bar contact surface indicates some pretty severe pressure being put on when cutting, maybe minimal oil flow and as philbert
mentioned slack chain.

The adverse conditions wearing the chain contact surfaces are also wearing the cutter bar and looking at the chain in the pics the old cutter bar must be pretty well had it
at a wild guess.

By had it I reckon one side of the bar will be much more worn than the other side and once the cutter bar is buried into a log it just won't get it happening regardless of the chain because it's trying to cut off to one side so severely.

Normal dressing of the bar doesn't pick this unevenness up as unless you take quite a bit off you are only taking a little off the high side and not touching the low side at all.

Dress the bar normally, get a 90 degree square and check the height of the cutter bar sides.

OR..........Just buy a new bar, the problem will go away I reckon.

At a guess also - probably had trouble with keeping the cut straight leading up to this now major stage of "it won't bldy cut now!!! "

ps...The depth gauges do look to high to me also given the length of the cutter, but yr the man with the gauge in the hand and on the spot.

Good luck :)

I use a grinder that is made specifically for the purpose of grinding bar rails. Shown and explained in the post with the photos.

The chains cut straight, just won't self feed well. When I push on the saw they feed and make normal chips.

The one chain in the pics, the depth gauges are around 0.035". Plenty low for a chain that is about 50%. I can try to reshape them a bit, though the wheel is profiled to match a CBN wheel (can see that wheel on the pegboard)... that wheel is like 1/4" too short and the motor hits the chain stop before it hits the chain.

The bottom of the cutters aren't as bad as they look in the pic. It must be the light or something. There is a small burr, just enough that I can feel it with a fingernail. Probably not "ideal" but that chain probably has alot of time on it.
I don't track the hours on my saws, but my processor does. I've got well over 100 hours of cut time on each chain. Over 500 hours on the bar.

show us a picture of your bar groove (not your groovy bar), when they still won't cut properly with the bar dressed the rail widths will be uneven & you will notice it when looking down on the bar. the chain will lean over in the groove one way & it won't let the chain cut to its full potential.
tanks

Get the cutters sharp. Then get yourself a digital angle finder and check those depth gauges. I'd bet money they are not low enough for the cutters shown in the picture. When the cutter has been filed that far back, the need for progressively filing the depth gauges becomes apparent. Using a standard depth gauge tool measures the drop in thousandths of an inch; better to measure it as an angle.

I know I am overkill on this stuff, and like someone said, I'd never make any money at it either, but I'll clamp an old bar in my bench vise, level it with the DAF, then mount the chain on that bar and check every single depth gauge with the DAF to make sure they are at the amount of drop that I want and that they are consistent with one another. And most of the time I hand file the depth gauges to get them where I want them, rounding off the top of the depth gauge with the last file stoke to restore the profile. This will also take care of depth gauges on the cutters that you removed extra material from in order to clean up a nail strike.

How much drop to use is the question. If the chain is going on my 046, I do not hesitate to go 6.5 or 7.0 degrees. On a small displacement saw or one where you've maxed out the bar length, I stick with 4.5 to 5.0 because the saw may bog if you use more than that. You have to judge for yourself based on your circumstances. If you're grinding for a customer, you might want to stick with factory specs. Most lawn and garden shops around me will not file a depth gauge. I suppose it is a liability thing.

If I have a bar that needs to be dressed the symptom will usually be the saw curves in the cut. But the saw will still cut.

When I'm grinding the cutters, I clean out the gullet first. I usually have some pretty blunt nosed cutters, so while I'm taking that material off, I go ahead and lower the wheel enough to reset the gullets as I go. Then on my last pass around the cutters, I make sure I only go deep enough to get the proper profile on the cutter.

Like Philbert said earlier, it is difficult to always get the cutters the same length. But if you are careful with the depth gauge adjustments, close enough is close enough. I am fortunate that my grinder is about right, but I usually grind the short cutters first, whatever side they are on, then back off on the chain stop when I hit the other side and adjust from there. I do not try to get them all exactly the same length, but I get them close.

Tuesday night I ground chains, and did 324 cutters checking all the depth gauges, adjusting where needed, in about 2 hours. Of course, now we're expecting rain today so they cancelled our firewood event....

I dress my bars 'business casual' (khakis and a nice shirt) . . .

Clearly, there are lots of ways to sharpen a chain - can make you nuts! People need to find a way that works for them.

IMHO, it helps to have a clear picture in your head of what you want your cutters to look like first, then use any method you choose (file, guide, grinder, Dremel, etc.) to achieve that. The tools won't do that by themselves.

Philbert

"Cheshire puss, Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?" asked Alice.

"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.

"I don't much care where," said Alice.

'Then it doesn't matter which way you go," said the Cat.

I use a grinder that is made specifically for the purpose of grinding bar rails. Shown and explained in the post with the photos.

The chains cut straight, just won't self feed well. When I push on the saw they feed and make normal chips.

The one chain in the pics, the depth gauges are around 0.035". Plenty low for a chain that is about 50%. I can try to reshape them a bit, though the wheel is profiled to match a CBN wheel (can see that wheel on the pegboard)... that wheel is like 1/4" too short and the motor hits the chain stop before it hits the chain.

The bottom of the cutters aren't as bad as they look in the pic. It must be the light or something. There is a small burr, just enough that I can feel it with a fingernail. Probably not "ideal" but that chain probably has alot of time on it.
I don't track the hours on my saws, but my processor does. I've got well over 100 hours of cut time on each chain. Over 500 hours on the bar.
Try to resharpen it one more time ,see if can get past the rocked out / spoon shape of the cutter,look at how crisp the edge of my test cutter is ,i can take a piece of paper and make a clean cut with it ,that is a good quick test to see if you are sharp or not also ,see if it will slice paper without ripping it .if i lose half a cutter fixing a chain so be it ,i like my stuff to cut .

Try to resharpen it one more time ,see if can get past the rocked out / spoon shape of the cutter,look at how crisp the edge of my test cutter is ,i can take a piece of paper and make a clean cut with it ,that is a good quick test to see if you are sharp or not also ,see if it will slice paper without ripping it .if i lose half a cutter fixing a chain so be it ,i like my stuff to cut .
So with that in mind if you have to take a few cuts down a fair way do you then take the rest to that our leave them .040-.080/1-2mm + longer than those 6 teeth.

Love the thread learning lots

Maybe all Your chains are turkey chains, You have to force it down their throat to feed them round and fat! ;)
Just kidding. :)

I usually have only 1 or 2 chains "in use per saw" at the same time (one almost worn out & one newish) , that means that I depend on a proper sharpening to get the work at hand done.
I by no means have no spares, on the contrary I like to have new spare chains and bars just in case - but that doesn't mean that I use them whenever I notice I didn't get my chain(s) "self-feed-sharp".

Considering what all seems to pass as a sharp chain, sharpening a chain does not seem to be rocket science.
I for one prefer chisel tooth chains as I can somewhat relate to how the edge should look like and I most of the time get them to self feed nicely.
But I have a hard time to get round tooth chains to self feed (my little Sachs-Dolmar 105 uses those).
Prior to purchasing my Dolmar PS-6400 which came set up with a chisel chain I didn't even know there are other tooth styles and I just coasted along with the round tooth chains that I bought by article number.
By now I can't stand sharpening chains other then chisel which is also a reason why I won't bother with semi-chisel on my two big girls. I'll rather do a touch up or two on a chisel chain then having to hassle with a semi chisel or round tooth chain.
A chisel tooth comes somewhat natural to me as it is very similar to the cutting plate/edge of a drill bit which I work with and sharpen, successfully and very aggressively if I want to, day in day out at work.

All good troubleshoot suggestions have already been given by other fellow members. :)
I'd suggest taking one or two of those turkey chains and invest the time and sharpen them by hand with a file and a file guide. That should give them a proper edge and might help identify whether the bar(s) might be at fault.
I might get burned for writing this , but to my limited experience constantly adjusting the rakers is over rated for normal usage - I lay a flat file on the top of the sharpened teeth of my chain and if the rakers are lower the the top plates of the teeth I don't bother touching them. The chains may not cut at 100% intended speed , but they sure self fed and cut straight.
When I purchased my used PS-7900 it came with a half way worn grind sharpened chisel chain and rakers down 1-1.4 mm !!! This chain cut like crazy and the PS-7900 pulled it with serious grunt. It was a very rough cutting chain in thinner wood, as one can imagine, but it was thrilling to use in strong wood.
That been said, I tend not to over think the height of the rakers - a little too shallow cuts slower but very smooth, a little too deep cuts faster but a bit rough. Either way it doesn't affect self feed and straight cuts much (if any).

Clearly, there are lots of ways to sharpen a chain - can make you nuts! People need to find a way that works for them.

IMHO, it helps to have a clear picture in your head of what you want your cutters to look like first, then use any method you choose (file, guide, grinder, Dremel, etc.) to achieve that. The tools won't do that by themselves.

Philbert

Agreed!

I have a cheapo (overpaid) supermarket grinder and I hate that thing! :mad:
When I bought it I tried doing all my chain sharpening on it - unsuccessfully.
It was too much of a hassle to set the grinder up properly and no matter how I set it up those chains never tended to truly cut as I like them too. Filing them freehand afterwards was also a big issue as the grinded teeth gullets didn't have a proper round shape to help support/guiding the file.
Needless to say that the grinder quickly went back in its box collecting dust most of its existence. I use it rarely when a lot of chain tooth needs to be removed (after hitting a rock or something). But even then after grinding off all the damaged part of the teeth I take a second go at the chain in question and file all the grinding marks out and re-shape the gullet using a file & filing guide.

All that been said:
- I love it when my chain self feeds nicely and I got best results using a file and occasionally a file guide.
- I like chisel chains and I like to think that I do "OK" sharpening those. I can not relate to round tooth, and I never tried semi chisel chains.
- I don't sharpen chains or use chainsaws commercially, it is just private homeowner usage and it doesn't butter my bread - but it keeps me warm.
- I still use the original 9 years old (at least 5 or 6 chains worn out to ZERO) OEM bar my PS-6400 came with as my "main" bar. With a well sharpened chain it still cuts straight in wood up the size of the bar (20"), once the chain gets dull it will cut in a circle prompting me to stop cutting and touch up the chain. I did have to deepen the groove once, the groove gauge is certainly wider then it should be and most likely V shaped from wear by now - but the bar still has life in it. I am by no means a cheapo , I have spare chains and bars to last me Years to come.
- I dress the rails of my bars freehand with a flat file and I don't have a 20-20 eyesight.
- I prefer a 7 tooth sprocket over a 8 tooth sprocket as the slower chain will take a better bigger bite then the speeding chain is able too (I mostly cut oak).
- What I deem workable and/or good doesn't necessarily work for somebody else, every individual must figure out a way that works best for them.

Good luck pinpointing the issue!

Cheers :cheers:

So with that in mind if you have to take a few cuts down a fair way do you then take the rest to that our leave them .040-.080/1-2mm + longer than those 6 teeth.

I personally would not grind back all cutters because of a few that needed more attention. Give those cutters the same amount of bite and they will cut.

My dealer once took a brand new chain and ground back all the cutters on one side about half way, then readjusted the depth gauges to see if the saw would still cut straight. It did.

I personally would not grind back all cutters because of a few that needed more attention. Give those cutters the same amount of bite and they will cut.

My dealer once took a brand new chain and ground back all the cutters on one side about half way, then readjusted the depth gauges to see if the saw would still cut straight. It did.
That's common knowledge for those who have have been lucky enough to have had some instruction from those who have Some technical training in chain design.
Thansk

You/we've established your chain isn't sharp. But also, you don't have good angle under your top plate ("hook", which isnt easy to get with a grinder without getting excessive "sidehook"). If you don't understand what I'm saying, I will photoshop your pictures to show you.

People overthink chains, flat out. Cutter length doesnt have to be uniform within the thousandth, there can be some variation in depth gauge height, angle, etc. Obviously you want to keep things close/the same, but doesn't have the effect guys want to think it does. Don't overthink it. BTW, your depth gauges are plenty low, that's easy to see from what you posted. And most guys that run excessive depth either dont know how to sharpen a good chain, or run a pretty flat angle under the top plate/face of the chain. I didnt use to, but dont see the benefit. I use a progressive gauge, but isn't the end of the world if you don't. It really comes in to play more or less the last 50-60% of cutter length.

Also, dont' hesitate to go down to a 9/16" file size the last half of the chain or so (on 3/8 chain, if you file any).

This is practically a new loop or Oregon chain, which I would have sharpened out of the box but haven't touched the depth gauge yet. I have probably only put a tank or two through it on a pine removal. Yep, it self feeds with no pressure from the operator, with .0018-.0020 depth.

IMG_20151011_092004.jpg

...Also, dont' hesitate to go down to a 9/16" file size the last half of the chain or so (on 3/8 chain, if you file any)...
I use a 5.5 mm file from new to about half tooth, and then 4.8 mm from half tooth till no tooth standing - 3/8" .0058" chisel chains by Dolmar, Oregon and Carlton.
This practice works quite nice for me for the past 9 years.

A 5.2 mm seems to be recommended as a whole tooth length universal file for the chains I use?!
Never tried this one file for the entire tooth practice.

Sorry for the sizes stated in millimeters , wouldn't know out of my head how they translate to inches.

Hmm... This is perplexing, Valley Firewood cuts more wood than most of put together and certainly is a seasoned user.

From the pics, the cutters just look OK, but not real sharp with clean edges. The finish of the grind on the cutters look very coarse too.

For a tooth at 50%, I go a little deeper on rakers to keep angle between working corner and raker the same.

Hmm... This is perplexing, Valley Firewood cuts more wood than most of put together and certainly is a seasoned user.

From the pics, the cutters just look OK, but not real sharp with clean edges. The finish of the grind on the cutters look very coarse too.
I'll just keep my mouth shut[emoji5]️

It is amazing what is in firewood ,rocks nails dirt etc if i only have a few damaged cutters i will not take them all down ,depending how damaged they are,if a lot of one side of the chain is i will clean them all back to match i like my cutters all even sized on both sides.

The chain in the ops images is pretty worn down bu the rails ,it looks like has had lot of hours or lack of oil ,even milling mine never get that worn down by the bar

VF,
I see you have the Oregon sharpener ............ it may have been covered already, but what are the settings on it to produce the cutter in your pictures

I believe the simple answer as to why do some chains cut and others dont is because of different wood.

I also believe that your arm needs to be angled more to give you a sharper top plate cutter, as well as give you more hook under the top plate

If I am guessing, it looks like you are running 60 or 65 degrees on the arm, if thats the case, drop the arm down to 55, and grind down to the gullet

People overthink chains, flat out.

Some of that is the difference between 'good enough' and optimizing, or enthusiast level sharpening. Same thing with cars, guns, food, etc., etc., etc. You just need something to get you from 'Point A' to 'Point B', or is the ride important?

The racers are the real chain crazies (*and I mean that with love and respect), though most of us do not need (or want) a race chain. If I have one or two damaged cutters, I don't take down the other 32. But a consistent chain will cut smoother.

My theory on 'self-feeding' chains also involves the powerhead. IMO, a self-feeding chain is using some power to pull the saw forward and down, instead of using all of the power for slicing through the wood fibers: in other words, it is slightly inefficient. With a powerhead that has excess power, this chain will self-feed. On a smaller powerhead, the same chain might bog down a little. This could be confusing when the exact same chain, sharpened the exact same way, behaves differently on different saws (or in different wood).

IHO, a 'perfect chain' would cut effortlessly, like a light saber.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back