chains won't self feed?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a video this year cutting oak during which at one point I intentionally lifted my hand off the front handle to capture "self-feeding" of the chain - but it is on Digital 8mm tape, I have to transfer it to my PC to be able to clip & crop the session.

Why is it on an outdated video format You might ask?
Because I have that camcorder, barely used, and a high power battery pack with up to 525 minutes of recording time capacity for it.
It literally cost me nothing to set it up on a tripod in the shade, zoom in on the log pile and let it record unattended. But it is really time consuming to digitize the tapes afterwards. :crazy:

A saw running a good self feeding chain feels just great, good chips, nice sound of the saw/PH under load, no energy required on pushing to force the chain to cut - one doesn't even need bucking spikes other then for the protection of the PH against scratches from the bark. :)

Some of that is the difference between 'good enough' and optimizing, or enthusiast level sharpening. Same thing with cars, guns, food, etc., etc., etc. You just need something to get you from 'Point A' to 'Point B', or is the ride important?

The racers are the real chain crazies (*and I mean that with love and respect), though most of us do not need (or want) a race chain. If I have one or two damaged cutters, I don't take down the other 32. But a consistent chain will cut smoother.

Philbert

Philbert, the over thinking would more than likely come from the enthusiast not the other way around, but thats just my .02 and nothing else...

I don't want what I said to be confused with race chain either, that is another ballgame and of course different rules apply. I have a few of those too, definitely and an art form there...

So what are y'alls using for mix oil?

Amsoil sucks. Hard.

:)

Too agressive use of a grinder can cause a cystalized edge to a cutter as will an undressed wheel.
Since only one side of the wheel does the grinding, dress that side only and thebottom of the wheel flat.
Being only 75% there, a round file needs to finish it off with three, light, accurate and deliberate strokes, with thelast stroke moving from the cutter, along the gullet to the back of the raker.
How's that for a run on sentence? Lol

Since only one side of the wheel does the grinding, dress that side only and thebottom of the wheel flat.

I flip my wheels when I change them, just like flipping guide bars. So I dress both sides of the flippin' wheels.

A round wheel profile will also shape the side plate more like the shape you would get with a round file, it that is important to you.

Philbert

I flip my wheels when I change them, just like flipping guide bars. So I dress both sides of the flippin' wheels.

A round wheel profile will also shape the side plate more like the shape you would get with a round file, it that is important to you.

Philbert

Isn't it just easier to have another grinder rather than flipping wheels?:dancing:

Upside down isn't that a square ground? All kidding a side to get a good cutting chain everything has been covered here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Isn't it just easier to have another grinder rather than flipping wheels?

You have your grinding crew all lined out in your shop - bolted to your bench. I take mine out in the field - even when I am home I prefer to grind outdoors. So I like the capability to do different wheels/chains on the same grinder.

Philbert

You have your crew all lined out in your shop. I take mine out in the field - even when I am home I prefer to grind outdoors. So I like the capability to do different wheels/chains on the same grinder.

Philbert
Philbert I have four different grinders and only one pulls double duty of rakers that's my Oregon 510, otherwise they are all purpose built as all silvey grinders.

If any of the chain is off it won't feed especially on a long bar it's a 2+2=4 problem, the fourth part is your bar.

Filing, grinding, like everthing else requires passion , just like everything else in the world.
These things can't be described, nor replicated. Everyone has their own style, and no two people file or grind the same way. With saws, a sharp chain is the least of my worries.
Getting all moving parts working together in perfect unison is what makes the chips fly, not to mention who's on the other end of the saw.
John

Philbert
flip wheels.jpg

Back