Do New Chainsaws Need To Be Gently Broken In?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Left 87 octane untreated corn crap gas in my genset for 9 mo's and had to boil the bowl gasket for it to shrink enough to go back into the lands - and remove the shellac off everything inside it...
For that I have fuel shut off valves on all such equipment. Very easy then to let them run dry. Just turn of the equipment with the fuel shut off valve off.

For that I have fuel shut off valves on all such equipment. Very easy then to let them run dry. Just turn of the equipment with the fuel shut off valve.

Yeah, that one was my eff up. Never treated the tank and never ran the carb out. We'd been without utility power for 4 days and I got distracted when the lines went hot again and didn't properly stow it after that much use.

If you are concerned about break-in, you can always richen the high screw 1/8-1/4 turn for the first five tanks of fuel.

Saw care is a definite issue for me. I'll admit to getting a bit anal about it, but my saws run pretty well as a rule. I like to let them warm up about a half minute with short throttle revs. I ONLY use Stihl Ultra synthetic oil with ethanol-free premium gas. It keeps well for a long time, but I'll pour it out after a year. Idling a saw dry will let it keep indefinitely, according to Andy (Lakeside) our former AS saw guru. I try to let them idle a minute or so after use; I hear it helps the coils cool off a bit. I have a little saw tach, and I find the manual for the saw, and set it to a few hundred RPMs below the manual's recs at WOT, AFTER break-in.

I have a 20 year old Lawn Boy 2 stroke mower I set the RPMs on, it still works great. FWIW...

Back