Gear Lust......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dantiff2

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
As the onset of this terrible disease slowly degrades my bank account, I'm in search of another climb line. Looking at 11mm Tachyon or PMI EZ-BEND? Is there any negative to either? Do they work well with a Blake's? I've heard of people having problems with the Tachyon because it's so slick. I only use friction hitches currently but would like to add a Pantin and handled ascender in the future.

I almost forgot, I climb strictly DRT. Using 11mm Blaze as a split tail.

Dan

Last edited:
As the onset of this terrible disease slowly degrades my bank account, I'm in search of another climb line. Looking at 11mm Tachyon or PMI EZ-BEND? Is there any negative to either? Do they work well with a Blake's? I've heard of people having problems with the Tachyon because it's so slick. I only use friction hitches currently but would like to add a Pantin and handled ascender in the future.

Dan

Tachyon works great. You've got it right not to use anything of a larger diameter as the split tail. Tachyon to tachyon should work well. I'll try to get some quantitative data and post them.
The Tachyon is very flexible, handles well, and resists picking and other damage. Also, no problems with kinking. It runs through pulleys very well. I'd think twice before I used any ascenders which have teeth on the cam, though.

Last edited:
I really like the Samson ArborMaster Rope

I used to climb on all kinds of rope, but that is in the past- Now I trust the ArborMaster rope I buy it by the spool 600' at a time-.

I use the ArborMaster spit tail as well, it holds nice, but slips nice too not too much friction, even on a total burn out from 90'.

Last summer was working and lightning storm came up quick, hit a tree about a block away... I was outta there. 'bout 90' one bound, dropped like a rock, DRT through a friction saver.

Nice rope, not too expensive, nice feel, larger 1/2 inch size, easy to grip.x 8100 lbs breaking strength

Good luck

I used to climb on all kinds of rope, but that is in the past- Now I trust the ArborMaster rope I buy it by the spool 600' at a time-.

I use the ArborMaster spit tail as well, it holds nice, but slips nice too not too much friction, even on a total burn out from 90'.

Last summer was working and lightning storm came up quick, hit a tree about a block away... I was outta there. 'bout 90' one bound, dropped like a rock, DRT through a friction saver.

Nice rope, not too expensive, nice feel, larger 1/2 inch size, easy to grip.x 8100 lbs breaking strength

Good luck
:agree2:
Good Rope.

Dan

I second that bro! so many gidgets and goodies, rope, and saddles. so little money!

If you're using Blaze then you're already familiar with the 11mm feel of the Tachyon. Tachyon is a very nice rope, super strong and extremely light. Not sure about tooth ascenders though. Maybe someone can provide some data. Although DRT and DdRT are used interchangeably DRT is usually associated with rock climbing meaning Double Rope Technique, (two ropes), DdRT is Doubled Rope Technique the setup we use for tree climbing.

Good Point.

If you're using Blaze then you're already familiar with the 11mm feel of the Tachyon. Tachyon is a very nice rope, super strong and extremely light. Not sure about tooth ascenders though. Maybe someone can provide some data. Although DRT and DdRT are used interchangeably DRT is usually associated with rock climbing meaning Double Rope Technique, (two ropes), DdRT is Doubled Rope Technique the setup we use for tree climbing.

RacerX, you make an excellent point. Avoid tooth ascenders with Tachyon. The take a toll on the sheath which can compromise the strength of the rope. The Petzl Microcender and the Gibbs ascender work very well and prolong the life of the rope. They use a camming mechanism which compresses and grips the rope.
The DRT and DdRT distinction is right on. For more great information, get a copy of On Rope by Smith and Padgett. Although primarily aimed at cavers and SRT, the latest edition, 1996, has a chapter which describes the DdRT as used by arborists. There are also some great tips from other disciplines which can be applied directly to tree climbing.

DRT/DdRT.... Good catch:dizzy: Theres a big difference between the two. I did mean to say (type) DdRT.

I don't climb on Blaze, I made some split tail's out of it. But your saying that's the feel of Tachyon? I do like feel of the 24 strand. I climb on ArborPlex, And love it but for rec climbing I want something alittle lighter and quicker to work with. i.e.: 7/16"

As fas as the ascenders go your limited when you have to find one without teeth. I was gonna order a Pantin and a Petzel Ascension with my rope order and I know both those have toothed cam's. Hmmm Might go with PMI but with the weather here I'm not buying any new rope for awhile. It's a blizzard outside right now.

Dan

DRT/DdRT.... Good catch:dizzy: Theres a big difference between the two. I did mean to say (type) DdRT.

The sad fact is that the two terms are used interchangeably by most tree people to mean either secured foot-lock or doubled-rope. No tree person gives even a thought to the mountain climbing two-rope meaning.

I don't climb on Blaze, I made some split tail's out of it. But your saying that's the feel of Tachyon? I do like feel of the 24 strand. I climb on ArborPlex, And love it but for rec climbing I want something alittle lighter and quicker to work with. i.e.: 7/16"

As fas as the ascenders go your limited when you have to find one without teeth. I was gonna order a Pantin and a Petzel Ascension with my rope order and I know both those have toothed cam's. Hmmm Might go with PMI but with the weather here I'm not buying any new rope for awhile. It's a blizzard outside right now.

Dan

I have used the New england FLy and thats great 7/16 lightweight rope and durable. It also works great with a split tail or prusik.

Lmao!! they make it in a couple different colors. i do recommend a friction saver if possible though. But it works well in a natural crotch too.

I'll have to get some of that!! Call it RAD - "Rope Acquisition Disorder"

The 1/2" rope runs tight through a Grigri, there are two versions of the Petzl I'D, the larger one will take 1/2". The I'D is a big expensive hunk of hardware. The 11mm ropes are more optimal for a RADS, less money and weight overall gear-wise (Grigri or Trango Cinch being lighter, smaller and less expensive then the I'D).
-moss

Back