John Deere CS56 or CS62, r these saws worth their salt

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

symour

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Does any body have a clue if these new John Deere Pro series saws are worth a hoot.

Or is the fact that a Tractor Co. is making a chainsaw the only clue one needs.

Thanks
Symour

No one has mentioned these saws in a few months. Last summer everyone was recommending them based on (supposedly) good numbers for HP and price. I guess they got what they paid for and quit talking about their purchases.

But that's just an assumption. :cool:

They are made by Efco in Italy ,the former Olympyc, (not misspelled) They are very good saws. They have metal chassis and closed ports. It is rumored they are sold in other parts of the world as other brands, maybe including Pro Mac, which if true, suggest an e-lux connection.

PS: for some reason not understood by me, the 56 runs just about as strong as the 62 and can be had for $50 to $100 less. Now thats comparing a 56, 18" .325 with a 62 3/8, 20". That is about the way you find them set up off the shelf.

I sell them as Efcos.

Last edited:
Every report I've heard from people who did buy them was positive. Efco traditionally makes high quality saws.

They own the European rights to the McCulloch name. Macs sold over there are Italian pro saws.

has anyone worked on them, jd's?

Thanks for all the input so far everyone.

Symour

I offer them, (EFCO), with a 10 day exchange towards a Jonsered or Dolmar. Haven't had one come back yet.
The guys that have been running them, or the earlier Olympiks, won't buy anything else. The 56 and 62 make good firewood or pulp saws for the pros. The new 47 and 52 could rule the midsize market for hp/weight/dollars.
They need a good merchandizing program.
You may want to check the manufacture of the jugs in some of the other equipment out there, many came out of the Reggio plant.
The EFCO brand is a real sleeper.

Efco / Deere Chain Saws

I guess the thing I'd be concerned with on these saws is the limited service network and parts availability. Deere is new to the space, and it remains to be seen how comitted they are to it. Go to their website and you have a hard time even finding info on "John Deere" chain saws.

Efco I never even heard of until I started doing some research on Husky's and Stihl. I don't doubt that they are good saws, but everything has the potential to break, and certainly you'll need "consumables".

Brad

Someone said that there might be a connection betweem them and elux. Could be. Take a look at the decomp. valve on the Efco/ John Deere models and you can see they use the same one Husky and Jonsered use. ?? EO.

If efco is a good saw, then Id buy an efco, not a John Deere. John Deeere Has one of the best marketing schemes of any company. They do the same thing with a lot of their farm equipment. they contract it out to other companys, and slap a sticker on it that says nothing runs like a deere. For example any john deere tractor under 30 hp is really a yanmar. Identical tractor, just different paint. all you have to do is look on the serial tag. Besides if you own a John Deere you have to get an ego or attutude, that it is the best.

The 62 has a good power to weight ratio, but not as good as the specs say.

The 56 has less power for the same weight.

The only complaints I have seen on those saws have been about anti-vibe and fit/finish - never used or seen one "live" myself.

They are the same saws as the same generation Emak and Oleo-Mac saws.....

Last edited:
I ripped some 10 month dry sweetgum yesterday for firewood and used 4 saws. the first was a 5018 cub 50cc that i ported [4 port closed transfer], i think it cuts about like a stock 036. Then a cs62 that i ported last week and a husky 262 that is ported and they cut about the same. Then i tried the ported 372, no problem telling the difference in this saw. So i'm thing that the emak saws can be compared cc to cc to the stihl and huskys and the only difference will be how long they last, and i'll probably never find out having 17 saws and only cutting firewood and trees for the bandmill.

cs56

Yes they are worth it. I bought a CS56 new a few years ago. Even if on paper it has less power than a CS62 I have never thought it was weak. I have never run a 62 but I would bet that in real world condtions there is not much difference. I run a 3/8 16 or 18 in bar on mine. It has plenty of power for that. I know a guy who runs one with a 3/8 20" bar and he says it has plenty of power for that.
The antivibe is not as nice as the spring mounts on the newer Stihls or Huskys, but it is as good as any other rubber mounted saw. If you have to replace the mounts they offer heavy duty ones. I would use those. Mine are starting to get loose but it has been used fairly hard. I would buy another one in a second if I needed it.

John Deere Saws

I had three JD saws. They were all under powered. Parts were hard to get unless you live near A John Deere house and very few stocked chainsaw parts. I sold them all because John Deere would not honor their warranty on the saws. Two of them I bought I had to return them after their first use because because the guide bar bolts came out of the saws.
I highly reccommend choosing another brand.

I would not buy another Efco because I have never been able to get the air filter to seal reliably.

Other than the air filter, it's not a bad saw. However, the air filter is a deal breaker.

Wow, a thread from 2003.
JD CS 62, good reliable runner. Not the build quality of any of my Stihls.
Pro's - Easy start, Efco support, oils like BP
Con - Outboard clutch, generally lower quality bolts and nuts than Stihl

I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one unless at a significant discount. I bought my Efco MT3600 by chance and won the CS 62 by chance.

They are Efco saws. Efco saws are GREAT- I know a guy with one of these and he loves it. I swear he sleeps with the thing! I just ordered an Efco from the local dealer on the back of reading here and talk from this guy and people he knows who run Efco. I heard that the Deeres aint doing good in terms of exposure as lots of Deere dealers are also Stihl dealers, so they'd rather stick to just handling the Stihls instead of two saw lines.

Latest posts

Back