John Deere CS56 or CS62, r these saws worth their salt

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The John Deere CS56 & CS62 (156) (162) OLEY-MAC 962 are efco knock offs but are just Green in color. You can find them on the web NEW @ times from existing dealer N.O.S.

Dowda Farm Equiptment, In Douglasville Ga, (770) 942 2679 had a few left as of this past spring?

I bought a new CS56 from there, they are a deere dealer.After my brother overheated our CS56 (trashed the cylinder & piston) that we had NEW since 2003-04? , I did some extensive research about the saw components before attemping to convert my existing CS56 to a CS62 cylinder & piston. The CS56 Still waiting to get done as i have efco 962 cylinder & piston kit parts for it.

Deere Drop the (Oley-Mac-Efco) saw /equiptment line in 2008, for stihl. You can still get support for parts though deere
yet.

Menards did carry EFCO saws the last i knew, may be another idea?

Good luck

no 162s plenty of 156 but no 162s

I searched the internet today for hours no efco 162s except overseas, no john deeres either.no cub cadets made by efco either. a member on here has new 165s NO WARRANTY $350 delivered but its less power.and heavier than 162 or 962 good deal if you are not worried about warranty and also parts are definately an issue with those saws and their parts are high! I should have bought that echo cs 600p awhile ago it went for $398.00 + 22.00 shipping but my wife was home. I have other saws so its not like I cant live without it but the echo is 13 lbs(powerhead) and 162 is 12.1 from what I read.

I searched the internet today for hours no efco 162s except overseas, no john deeres either.no cub cadets made by efco either. a member on here has new 165s NO WARRANTY $350 delivered but its less power.and heavier than 162 or 962 good deal if you are not worried about warranty and also parts are definately an issue with those saws and their parts are high! I should have bought that echo cs 600p awhile ago it went for $398.00 + 22.00 shipping but my wife was home. I have other saws so its not like I cant live without it but the echo is 13 lbs(powerhead) and 162 is 12.1 from what I read.

You have not priced many Stihl parts.

true

I have had bad luck with stihl products so I stick with husqvarna/echo but I havent had a good stihl saw like a ms 260/261. I actually like the way the 260 feels, the 261 feels a pound heavier.But I bought a husqvarna 353 way cheaper than a stihl 260.I think the stihl would outlast the husqvarna but who wants the same saw forever. I like stihl having two rings as opposed to one on the others but the efco has two rings.But call any dealer and they dont have any in stock and no parts either. A guy on here has a good deal on an efco 165 $350 deliverd NEW but no factory warranty. So if it breaks or blows guess what? Thanks again

vw-m

I saw your ad, did a google and then read this thread. Funny how one thing leads to another. Learned some new things (side tensioner better on a mill, amongst other stuff).

Best comment was "didn't buy because wife was home". Hilarious (and true at times).

Good luck with your saw. I have serious CAD but I can't feed the beast for a while.

cs 56

Just got a good deal on a cs 56 so now have a nice pair of Effies. :rock: Whats the best muffler mod for this saw? Didn't see much in other threads.

JohnDeereCS56.jpg

JohnDeereEfcopair.jpg

Just got a good deal on a cs 56 so now have a nice pair of Effies. :rock: Whats the best muffler mod for this saw? Didn't see much in other threads.

JohnDeereCS56.jpg

JohnDeereEfcopair.jpg

The efco mufflers are pretty good as is, a big empty can. I think more noise than power if modified.

Throw the screen away and pry the muffler outlet open with a screw driver. You can gain quite a bit just doing that. At least on a 56 though, if you go too far it will melt the edge of the brake handle.

The CS56 is a damn stout stock runner... I like to call them "heavy handed"...
Not to mention SEXY!!!

attachment.php

The green and yellow with the black accents gets me every time. Look at your saw, now look at mine, now at yours, now at mine. Its too sexy for you, isn't it?

Hedge, 3/8 or .325?

Some work on public/state/forest service land, you may need the screen. Consult your local laws. Just saying.
If you are not fueling it pig rich, the screen shouldn't hurt much, but I will grant some.

Last edited:
The green and yellow with the black accents gets me every time. Look at your saw, now look at mine, now at yours, now at mine. Its too sexy for you, isn't it?

Hedge, 3/8 or .325?

Some work on public/state/forest service land, you may need the screen. Consult your local laws. Just saying.
If you are not fueling it pig rich, the screen shouldn't hurt much, but I will grant some.

.325... Bone stock, just getting broke in... Limiters HAVE been removed though... Bought it off a fellow who won it in a raffle and never fueled it... It's like a throwback, but the boys love it!!! It'll get "the treatment" soon... And be switched over to 3/8 to comply with the rest of the fleet...:rock:

.325... Bone stock, just getting broke in... Limiters HAVE been removed though... Bought it off a fellow who won it in a raffle and never fueled it... It's like a throwback, but the boys love it!!! It'll get "the treatment" soon... And be switched over to 3/8 to comply with the rest of the fleet...:rock:

I got mine with an 18" .325, and thought it cut pretty good, but I swapped it out to 18" in 3/8's, and that worked great, but got a new RSN 20" .050 in .325 for about $12 shipped, and it ended up on the 56, and that cuts well also. Now I have a 52 in the fleet and its twin for sale. Have yet to cut with either.
They are set up OK, not the mess that Husky's seem like to me, and not as parochial as Stihls, and have a buddy thats an Efco dealer so parts are no problem for me.

I got mine with an 18" .325, and thought it cut pretty good, but I swapped it out to 18" in 3/8's, and that worked great, but got a new RSN 20" .050 in .325 for about $12 shipped, and it ended up on the 56, and that cuts well also. Now I have a 52 in the fleet and its twin for sale. Have yet to cut with either.
They are set up OK, not the mess that Husky's seem like to me, and not as parochial as Stihls, and have a buddy thats an Efco dealer so parts are no problem for me.

Mine's got a 16" JD branded bar on it... Pretty much laughs at it... Eventually it'll have an 18 or 20... It'll get ported soon... That aught to be fun... :rock:

Latest posts

Back