Oak Tree Removal In Exchange For The Wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimJimK

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm posting this to help my stepson and his wife. They are young, just bought their first home and don't have a lot of money. In the front yard of their new home is an oak tree (I'm not sure of the exact kind) that they would like to have removed. The tree is at least 50 feet tall, and probably closer to 75 feet. The trunk is very straight to at least the 40 foot mark, and is about 3 feet in diameter at the base.

Just exploring the possibility that someone would remove the tree in exchange for the wood. There are definitely some long, wide boards in the trunk of this tree.

Any information or ideas anyone has is much appreciated. The tree is in Joliet, IL, about 45 miles southwest of downtown Chicago, as a location reference.

I agree with Del_ if you're not comfortable DIYing it, you should probably be looking at qualified workmen. And they aren't free.
Otherwise it's a cr*pshoot whether it comes out well in the end.
Please consider the substantial weight of something like that falling from the sky and the potential for something to go wrong vs the desire to save $$$.
There is some value in the wood, but only after alot of up front labor.
Check references, get multiple bids. That is how to save money on the project.

Down the page a bit in the firewood forum the running joke is " free firewood, just cut down the tree and clean up the brush"

The wood from that tree is worth several hundred dollars after it is cut down, cut up, split, and dried. The cost for removal and cleanup is easily five times that if you hire someone licensed and insured. Lots can go wrong and mistakes get expensive fast. Property damage and serious injuries are a real possibility with a tree that size. If nothing was in range of the tree you might find someone crazy or desperate enough to do it. If anything (house, wires, neighbors) are within range then you should hire a pro to at least get it on the ground.

I burn wood and scrounge all that I burn. I figure the work involved in cleaning up burnable wood that is already on the ground is equal to the value of the wood. Cutting the tree down and cleaning up brush are above and beyond. You might be able to save a few bucks by hiring a pro to drop the tree and then offering the wood to the scroungers once it is on the ground. Oak is desirable for burning but it's value just doesn't cover the cost of removal.

Also, People who take trees and turn them into lumber, almost never will accept yard trees, far too many hidden treasures to ruin very pricey milling blades.

Find a qualified company, pay them to remove the tree and debris, best advice to the situation you have at hand.

Good luck

Why do they want it removed?

^^^^ This. Sounds like a really nice tree. Personally, I'd never want anyone to come remove a tree whose only compensation is the wood. Like others have said, not enough in it for them to cover insurance, etc.

I will say that depending your and your family's skill level, you could have a tree service get it on the ground and then yang care of the rest yourselves. It'll likely cost around 400-700 depending on several factors to get it on the ground. Cleanup will be the expensive part. Have them take it down, you deal with the brush, then split and stack all the wood for two years. You'll probably break even when you sell the wood.

There are reputable part time people, you just have to be careful with who you get. Anything really hairy, hire someone. Otherwise you'll find out. I do the odd tree removal jobs mainly on weekends etc.... if I were not paid to remove the tree than cutting just to get the firewood or lumber isn't worth it. That is what makes the job profitable. I have given discounts for many reasons, only one I can't is when my climber buddy has to come. He gets paid his rate or he doesn't climb anything.

You should ask your insurance company this question. What if you wind up with a very nice knucklehead that has no idea of what he's doing, and he gets hurt on your property. Or worse yet, gets killed, it happens. Always happens to the other guy, but to me, you are the other guy, cause it won't happen to me, Joe.

If the tree is in fine health they can leave it there indefinitely or until their financial situation improves. Don't let it become a thing for them to take a chance something will go wrong on optional work.
If the tree is unhealthy or dangerous I might take more chances.

Just a bit too far away for me, but I would consider it.
Best option like others suggested is have a professional service get it to the ground, then let the firewood guys clean it up.
Good luck!

Go with the pros, as there are many factors that can affect not only the surrounding area on the lawn but the foundations of the house as well. Would not recommend an unlicensed individual coming and doing it for free firewood.

Go with the pros, as there are many factors that can affect not only the surrounding area on the lawn but the foundations of the house as well. Would not recommend an unlicensed individual coming and doing it for free firewood.
Dipends on the tree place around it i dit it before

You should ask your insurance company this question. What if you wind up with a very nice knucklehead that has no idea of what he's doing, and he gets hurt on your property. Or worse yet, gets killed, it happens. Always happens to the other guy, but to me, you are the other guy, cause it won't happen to me, Joe.

Exactly, the home owner is the General Contractor.
Jeff :cool:

I have some acreage with trees and have had a logging company come out and take some trees down/away and they pay me $x for each tree they remove but that is totally different than a tree on a lot in the burbs. Alot of time they cant fell a large section because of the surrounding houses, streets, wires, etc. Also as someone mentioned most tree in the burbs have screws or nails that someone at some point used to hang something and they destroy the blades of the milling machines.

You should surely go with the professional tree removal service who are in your area. As the professionals have better experience in the field, they can solve your problem easily. My sister who lives in Sydney has also faced th same problem when I visited her home last time. Rather than doing it alone, she hired the well known tree removal service (http://www.gardeningnorthside.com.au/) and got the tree removed very easily. Hiring the professional will ease your work.

Latest posts

Back