Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So this 3400 turned out to be a pretty interesting saw. Got it cleaned up tonight and took some pics. It is an early 3400 with the adjustable oiler on the bottom and circular rod at the back handle and the plastics say 79 for 1979 model. But it doesn't have the lighter paint it has the same bright green as my later one.

The negatives:

Has a crack in the top cover but not bad.

View attachment 446508

The rear handle was cracked and welded and re pained but looks to be done ok. The clutch cover is missing a piece and the chain tensioner is gone.

View attachment 446509

The original round air filter cover screw is missing.

View attachment 446510

Now for the positives:)

All the paint is in pretty good shape overall, the piston and cylinder look fantastic, I adjusted the carb and it runs great, just needs a duck bill valve.

Has the adjustable oiler on the bottom, pretty cool!

View attachment 446511

Has a decent 20" Windsor bar and seems to be a solid saw overall.

View attachment 446512

Also had an interesting diffuser inside the muffler. Not sure if it was drilled out our not. But the smaller holes look smaller than the stock holes on the later 3400s.

View attachment 446513

With everything said I'm really happy with it.
I'm going to look for the following though if anyone had these spare parts.

Want to find a round stock air filter cover screw, a good shape replacement clutch cover and a chain tensioner screw/nut. If anyone has any of these to part with, let me know. Thanks guys.

That diffuser is stock. You know the routine - drill'r out and open up the muffler- just a bad design- restrictive - heats up the plastic burns and makes brittle. A bit of scuffing and JB weld should take care of that crack.

That diffuser is stock. You know the routine - drill'r out and open up the muffler- just a bad design- restrictive - heats up the plastic burns and makes brittle. A bit of scuffing and JB weld should take care of that crack.

I notice your early 3400 doesn't have the hand guard, neither does this one. Was that standard with the early ones?

They can still build good saws if it was not for all the government regulations. Like the rest of you I will stick with some of the older saws.
One commuter jet will dump more crap into the air than all the chainsaws in North America during a 3 hour flight. So where is the EPA?

Anyone have a spare 5200 cylinder laying around to help complete my next project? I have other cylinder kits I could trade

Back