Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick pic
7f1406c9c60612d15ed4ec97fddfe09c.jpg
Your too damn organized!

I bought a second Craftsman 3.7 (Poulan 3700/3800) off a Craig's List ad this afternoon. With the exception of some paint rubbed off the bit just under the clutch cover, it's really clean and has great compression. The fellow even dug out the case for it.

Since I've been seeing clean one go for decent money on eBay, I consider $35.00 a really good price. And old, good chainsaws are rare around here. Maybe the dollar I gave the guy at Goodwill to help him pay for a shirt brought me some positive karma :cool:.

I just got home with it, won't have time to give it a better go-over until tomorrow. No photos either, but here's the CL ad with some photos. The paint looks a lot fresher than it appears in the ad photos.

http://houston.craigslist.org/tls/5193070985.html

EDIT--I noticed that earlier someone posted the non-vented AF cover might indicate a 3800.
To be honest, don't believe I've ever seen a vented filter cover on a Craftsman saw. Only the Poulan 3700.

I have the pigment mix for Poulan lime green paint and for the Pioneer P series saws for the yellow and green if you want them. The paint is a clear base alkyd enamel.Prime with self etching primer. I will finish it with a Plastikote 229 clear engine enamel which is very fuel and oil resistant. A friend of mine did tests on several clear coats and that was the best he could find.
I sure would like the Pioneer color code and the others wouldn't break my heart. :sweet:

All I can give you is the tint formula and you would need to have a clear paint with no pigment to make it work. If you find a base like that I will be happy to provide the tinter amounts. I would encourage you to go to a paint shop and take the freshest flat surface paint on a piece and have them scan and make a batch for you.Paint codes Pioneer # 2 003.jpg

I typically get in trouble over here these days when I post...., usually from getting sucked in by narcissists, trolls, childish instigators, and general idiots...and that's just in the Poulan thread! (Just kidding, fellas. Swear ta hell I am. Really.) I still keep track of the brand specific threads of interest over here and chime in once in a while if I have something worthwhile to add, but mostly just lurk. I find the conversation and general attitude much looser and more friendly 'over there' where the ignore button isn't necessary 'cause we're all childish instigators (with tongues planted firmly in cheek most of the time) and a good ol' "I have a potty mouth" usually does the trick if anyone takes themselves too seriously. Can't have any o' that!

Otherwise, it's all good and I thought about you the other day while wandering through local CL ads. If the ad is still up, I'll post a pic in the Echo sticky here at AS for your comment on what looked like a very interesting saw. Hell, you may already have four or five of em, but I've never seen one or knew Kioritz made Craftsman badged saws for Sears. Too pricey for my blood, but looked like a real clean specimen.

Hope all is well on your end.

edit: Turns out there isn't an Echo sticky over here......unless I missed it somehow after scrolling thru em all three times. But I know where one is, so I'll post pics there instead.

Dad sent me a few more pics of the $35 3400. Looks like the clutch cover is missing a little piece at the bottom and from the circular handle bolt at the back it would be an earlier 3400 correct? The hex bolt one is the later version right? Anyway, anxious to get it from him and get it cleaned up and go through it.

IMG_1983.jpg
IMG_1985.jpg
IMG_1986.jpg
IMG_1988.jpg

Dad sent me a few more pics of the $35 3400. Looks like the clutch cover is missing a little piece at the bottom and from the circular handle bolt at the back it would be an earlier 3400 correct? The hex bolt one is the later version right? Anyway, anxious to get it from him and get it cleaned up and go through it.

View attachment 443946
View attachment 443947
View attachment 443949
View attachment 443950

Nice find, Nate. It is definitely an early model. Skinny rear handle screw, flat tabs on the oil cap, painted over recoil screws, etc. The very EARLY ones had an adjustable oiler also. I never saw one in person, others here have posted pics of them though.

Good to see you guys still searching, buying, resurrecting the old Poulans. I havn't touched a saw since spring. Stop and check in here occasionally, not like I used to though.

Just wanted to add a note abote an earlier post someone made about slotted air cleaner covers. To my knowledge that was only on a green Poulan 3700. None of the Craftsman saws, whether red or gray ever had a slotted cover. I had one on my Craftsman 3.7 for a while, just because I had an extra one..LOL I ended up giving that one to Mark, to finish up a 3700 he was workin on.

Gregg,

update on Poulan 455 oiler. Screen pick-up appears to be fine. I think I see the problem possibly though now. Not sure how to seal it back up though?

he end cap on the oil pump is loose and fell off as I took the pump out. I'm guessing this allows it to possibly pull air in?

The gears look good. The pump seems a little stiff to roll over though.

Thoughts on this cap being off?

47f95b08cf2dba6f938830265d4ebd27.jpg

Sent from somewhere

Nice find, Nate. It is definitely an early model. Skinny rear handle screw, flat tabs on the oil cap, painted over recoil screws, etc. The very EARLY ones had an adjustable oiler also. I never saw one in person, others here have posted pics of them though.

Good to see you guys still searching, buying, resurrecting the old Poulans. I havn't touched a saw since spring. Stop and check in here occasionally, not like I used to though.

Just wanted to add a note abote an earlier post someone made about slotted air cleaner covers. To my knowledge that was only on a green Poulan 3700. None of the Craftsman saws, whether red or gray ever had a slotted cover. I had one on my Craftsman 3.7 for a while, just because I had an extra one..LOL I ended up giving that one to Mark, to finish up a 3700 he was workin on.

Gregg,

Thanks Gregg, I pick them up when I can when they are cheap enough still. Hopefully I'll get if from dad soon and get to working on it. Don't know if it has the adjustable oiler or not, haven't seen a pic of the bottom yet.
I think your dead on with the slotted air cover too, as far as I've found, just on the 3700's. My red Craftsman 3.7 I bought from Mark has the slotted one but I'm pretty sure he just put that on cause he had it.

Back